Author Topic: Brexit - the next steps  (Read 399497 times)

Gordon

• Administrator
Re: Brexit - the next steps
« Reply #3925 on: May 15, 2019, 08:00:17 PM »
Unexpected by whom? It has been obvious to me since day one of the negotiations. The EU has always been up front and transparent. The UK less so.  As for uselessness, well the uselessness of the British negotiating team is about the one thing Leavers and Remainers are united on.

Ah - I think I perhaps used the wrong word, I meant it in the sense of 'unsurprisingly' (which would have been a better choice).

Udayana

• βε ηερε νοω
    • The Byrds - My Back Pages
« Reply #3926 on: May 16, 2019, 11:47:23 AM »
https://phys.org/news/2019-05-eu-powers-silent-erosion-uk.html

New analysis by the UK Trade Policy Observatory is warning that what should have been the technical formality of transferring EU powers into national law when the UK leaves the European Union, could instead open the gates for the widespread use of outlawed carcinogenic pesticides that have been shown to alter human reproductive, neurological, and immune systems.
Ah, but I was so much older then ... I'm younger than that now

Nearly Sane

• Administrator

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #3928 on: May 22, 2019, 04:45:37 PM »
According to reports/rumours in the Guardian/BBC live politics blogs May is to resign tonight: if so good. All we need now is the Tory government to fall and for Brexit to be cancelled.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #3929 on: May 22, 2019, 07:29:49 PM »
According to reports/rumours in the Guardian/BBC live politics blogs May is to resign tonight: if so good. All we need now is the Tory government to fall and for Brexit to be cancelled.
Latest on BBC live is she is refusing to resign.

This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #3930 on: May 22, 2019, 07:38:49 PM »
Latest on BBC live is she is refusing to resign.

Indeed. It's mess as it stands: laughable that Brexit is a Tory-inspired policy and that it is imploding the party responsible for it, which is no bad thing of course.

She can't even resign effectively nor, it seems, can they get rid of her effectively - the Tories can't have much left by way of feet to shoot themselves in.

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #3931 on: May 22, 2019, 07:42:56 PM »
The odious and over-rated (especially by herself) Leadsom has just resigned, no doubt to prepare her bid to replace May. Maybe, if more follow her over the next day or so May will be forced out sooner rather than later.

Problem is, of course, there is nobody competent waiting in the wings.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #3932 on: May 22, 2019, 07:44:48 PM »
The odious and over-rated (especially by herself) Leadsom has just resigned, no doubt to prepare her bid to replace May. Maybe, if more follow her over the next day or so May will be forced out sooner rather than later.

Problem is, of course, there is nobody competent waiting in the wings.
Why do you think it is a good thing that May is ousted? What if she is replaced by somebody who thinks no deal is a good idea?
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #3933 on: May 22, 2019, 07:49:33 PM »
Why do you think it is a good thing that May is ousted? What if she is replaced by somebody who thinks no deal is a good idea?

My hope is that this hopeless Tory government fall and that anything that contributes to their misfortune is, therefore, a good thing.

Anchorman

• Maranatha!
« Reply #3934 on: May 22, 2019, 10:47:31 PM »
My hope is that this hopeless Tory government fall and that anything that contributes to their misfortune is, therefore, a good thing.

I'd add, in the interests of Scotland, that Boris Johnson would be a great idea to further unravel the already rotting bonds of the union.
"for, as long as but a hundred of us remain alive, never will we on any conditions be brought under English rule. It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #3935 on: May 23, 2019, 12:37:59 PM »
I think the Brexit issue is far more important than schadenfreude against political parties you don't like. I'd rather the Tories clung on to power until the next general election than we leave the EU, especially with no deal.

Spud

« Reply #3936 on: May 29, 2019, 03:00:05 PM »

I'd add, in the interests of Scotland, that Boris Johnson would be a great idea to further unravel the already rotting bonds of the union.
It seems a hard Brexit would be a gift to Scottish nationalists, who could then press ahead with an independence referendum. I just wonder if English Leave voters are aware of this and if they would want a Brexit that was followed by Scottish  independence and possibly Irish reunification?

Roses

« Reply #3937 on: May 29, 2019, 03:17:21 PM »
It seems a hard Brexit would be a gift to Scottish nationalists, who could then press ahead with an independence referendum. I just wonder if English Leave voters are aware of this and if they would want a Brexit that was followed by Scottish  independence and possibly Irish reunification?

I would be all for Irish reunification.
"At the going down of the sun and in the morning we will remember them."

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #3938 on: May 29, 2019, 03:35:57 PM »

I suspect leave voters in England and Wales aren't bothered by the strong anti-Brexit feeling in Scotland, as reflected in this EU election result. The outcome was very different here, with 'remain' parties coming top in every Scottish constituency, but of course this hasn't really been mentioned 'down south', since there they seem to be in thrall to the machinations of both Nigel and the bun-fighting between Tories in competition for temporary custody of the poisoned chalice.

The political outlooks of the Scottish and English/Welsh electorates now seem irreconcilable to me, and those bleating about the need to 'bring the country together' (and similar expressions of sanctimonious twaddle) clearly aren't paying attention.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2019, 03:51:27 PM by Gordon »

Spud

« Reply #3939 on: May 29, 2019, 04:51:34 PM »
I suspect leave voters in England and Wales aren't bothered by the strong anti-Brexit feeling in Scotland, as reflected in this EU election result. The outcome was very different here, with 'remain' parties coming top in every Scottish constituency, but of course this hasn't really been mentioned 'down south', since there they seem to be in thrall to the machinations of both Nigel and the bun-fighting between Tories in competition for temporary custody of the poisoned chalice.

The political outlooks of the Scottish and English/Welsh electorates now seem irreconcilable to me, and those bleating about the need to 'bring the country together' (and similar expressions of sanctimonious twaddle) clearly aren't paying attention.
The country might be brought together by the threat of a UK breakup, though at the moment it doesn't look promising.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2019, 05:10:35 PM by Spud »

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #3940 on: May 29, 2019, 05:02:30 PM »
I would be all for Irish reunification.

We know you are. However you seem to be ignoring the very real threats involved. As an ideal I am all for Irish reunification. As a practical, workable possibility in the near to medium future I have to acknowledge it is a non starter. Anyone who thinks otherwise is away with the fairies.
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

Roses

« Reply #3941 on: May 29, 2019, 05:13:50 PM »
We know you are. However you seem to be ignoring the very real threats involved. As an ideal I am all for Irish reunification. As a practical, workable possibility in the near to medium future I have to acknowledge it is a non starter. Anyone who thinks otherwise is away with the fairies.

At present that is probably the case, as the IRA is raising its ugly head again, but in the future I hope it will happen.
"At the going down of the sun and in the morning we will remember them."

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #3942 on: May 29, 2019, 05:14:23 PM »
The country might be brought together by the threat of a UK breakup, though

If by country you mean the UK, Spud, some of us in Scotland would rather not be part of that, especially given the direction of political travel that seems to be endemic among the Brexit-supporting sections of the electorate in England and Wales.

Walter

« Reply #3943 on: May 29, 2019, 06:16:39 PM »
If by country you mean the UK, Spud, some of us in Scotland would rather not be part of that, especially given the direction of political travel that seems to be endemic among the Brexit-supporting sections of the electorate in England and Wales.
Scotland; England's biggest county  ;)

SteveH

• God? She's black.
« Reply #3944 on: May 29, 2019, 10:31:45 PM »
At present that is probably the case, as the IRA is raising its ugly head again, but in the future I hope it will happen.
The IRAwant reunification. It'd be the "Loyalist" terrorists kicking off if reunification happened.
When politicians talk about making tough decisions, they mean tough for us, not for them.

Anchorman

• Maranatha!
« Reply #3945 on: May 30, 2019, 12:24:50 AM »

The problems with reunification would mainly involve the so-called Loyalist side...the Orange contingent.
Unfortunately, that could spill over to the West of Scotland, which has asmall, but distressingly active, sectarian element.
"for, as long as but a hundred of us remain alive, never will we on any conditions be brought under English rule. It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

ekim

« Reply #3946 on: May 30, 2019, 09:31:59 AM »
Scotland; England's biggest county  ;)
... and if all goes according to plan, soon to become part of the Forth Reich.  ;)

Anchorman

• Maranatha!

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #3948 on: June 19, 2019, 11:39:02 AM »
The results of that poll are interesting right enough, Jim: it seems a substantial majority of the Tory party would accept Scotland exiting the UK so long as they got their Brexit - and a kick in the teeth too for rape-clause Ruth's attempts to portray her dysfunctional party as valuing the allegedly 'precious' Union.

For some of us the feeling is mutual: they can have their Brexit madness and their 'precious' UK, but leave Scotland out of it.   

Anchorman

• Maranatha!
« Reply #3949 on: June 19, 2019, 12:04:40 PM »
 Maybe - just maybe - this is the time for the Scots Tories to break away from the English party. Whether we like it or not, there is a deluded minority who support Tory policies here; an independent Scots Tory party might speak for them, rather than the pathetic Mundell bleating like a lobotomised sheep to no-one-because not even the Tories take him seriously anymore.