Author Topic: Brexit - the next steps  (Read 399140 times)

Gordon

• Administrator
Re: Brexit - the next steps
« Reply #4275 on: August 26, 2019, 10:32:14 AM »
Bullshit Boris is currently sounding off about not paying monies to the EU should Brexit go ahead, which isn't going down well as regards any post-Brexit UK/EU trade agreement. Also interesting to note the comments about fishing negotiations, since one the reasons that some fishing communities are pro-Brexit (such as those in Scotland who returned Tory MPs last time) was that they would have UK waters all to themselves.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/aug/26/eu-would-block-trade-deal-if-britain-reneged-on-brexit-bill

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #4276 on: August 26, 2019, 05:54:05 PM »
Looks like Bullshit Boris is telling porkies again.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-49470831

Stranger

• Lightly seared on the reality grill.
« Reply #4277 on: August 26, 2019, 08:22:51 PM »
Looks like Bullshit Boris is telling porkies again.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-49470831

What is it with Boris the Liar and foodstuff? We've had prawn cocktail crisps, kippers, and now pork pies....
x(∅ ∈ x ∧ ∀y(yxy ∪ {y} ∈ x))

Nearly Sane

• Administrator

Gordon

• Administrator

Harrowby Hall

« Reply #4280 on: August 27, 2019, 10:31:22 AM »
According to the front page of the I, our wonderful new prime minister is planning to "re-balance" the House of Lords by appointing a swathe of anti-Brexit peers, thereby neutralising a potential source of defeat for his grand plan.

Is this how coups are performed in the United Kingdom?  Should the army be sent in to intervene?
Does Magna Carta mean nothing to you? Did she die in vain?

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #4281 on: August 27, 2019, 10:39:04 AM »
According to the front page of the I, our wonderful new prime minister is planning to "re-balance" the House of Lords by appointing a swathe of anti-Brexit peers, thereby neutralising a potential source of defeat for his grand plan.

Is this how coups are performed in the United Kingdom?  Should the army be sent in to intervene?
A fish stinks from the head down

Spud

« Reply #4282 on: August 27, 2019, 04:58:12 PM »
The pork pies are not restricted by high tariffs in Thailand and Iceland, but demand is so low they are no longer exported there. So Boris wasn't completely wrong.

wigginhall

« Reply #4283 on: August 27, 2019, 05:56:17 PM »
One of the strange things about no deal, is that the UK will immediately have to start negotiations with the 27 countries of the EU, in relation to trade, and other stuff.  How long will this take?  Some people say 7 years, some decades.  I'm sure that UK business are well prepared for this (sarcasm).
They were the footprints of a gigantic hound!

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #4284 on: August 27, 2019, 08:39:42 PM »
John Crace in good form, as usual, looking at Farage's part in the current omnishambles.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/aug/27/brexit-party-nigel-farage-non-aggression-pact-boris-johnson-no-deal

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #4285 on: August 28, 2019, 09:52:06 AM »
And here we go - suspension of parliament

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-49493632

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #4286 on: August 28, 2019, 10:01:33 AM »
Looking at the detail - it looks more like a tactical move to try and force people to react. There are a few more days lost than would have been in normal circumstances given the party conferences and a new queens speech but the symbolism is what will matter. Those wanting Remain have to be careful of being seen to over reacting but if their session yesterday was sensible they would have covered this option.

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #4287 on: August 28, 2019, 10:15:53 AM »
Hard to work out how this can help Johnson since there is presumably still time next week for MPs to try to use legislation, assuming Bercow doesn't stop them, and if not perhaps the outrage already being expressed will aid a no confidence motion succeeding.

Maybe, amongst all this, Johnson sees that as a route to a new GE that he doesn't call and will claim is being foisted on him by uncooperative others. Maybe Frodo will get to Mount Doom in time.

Stranger

« Reply #4288 on: August 28, 2019, 10:23:59 AM »
...if their session yesterday was sensible they would have covered this option.

I'm not sure I have much faith that the opposition are being very sensible...    :(

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #4289 on: August 28, 2019, 11:18:15 AM »
Hard to work out how this can help Johnson since there is presumably still time next week for MPs to try to use legislation, assuming Bercow doesn't stop them, and if not perhaps the outrage already being expressed will aid a no confidence motion succeeding.
I think this is why the spending review has been brought forward to next week - on the basis that parliamentary time will be required for the review announcement and debates, thereby using up the time that could have been used to stop the no-deal brexit.

Stranger

« Reply #4290 on: August 28, 2019, 12:42:17 PM »
FWIW Do not prorogue Parliament petition has reached 100,000 already...
« Last Edit: August 28, 2019, 12:52:31 PM by Stranger »

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #4291 on: August 28, 2019, 01:56:11 PM »
FWIW Do not prorogue Parliament petition has reached 100,000 already...
Now past 225,000 but it's a mere sop of action. As I feared there has been a set of reactions which portray this as some form of coup, and yet, and yet it's backed by precedent - it's just that our constitution has its oddities. I think that portraying Johnson as a dictator simply solidifies that part of his supporters who see this as a principled act. Meanwhile the 'opposition' to him looks both overwrought and divided.

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #4292 on: August 28, 2019, 02:26:05 PM »
Things are fairly frenzied right now, with some Labour MPs threatening to occupy the HofC. Hopefully the frenzy will die down and those intent on stopping no deal and/or Brexit will use this upping of the ante to find ways to intervene. A problem for them all is that in all the angst, urgency, defensiveness and general thrashing about things might yet take unexpected turns.

Manna from heaven for the SNP though, since I'd imagine the Scottish Tories will be wriggling given Ruth Davidson's previous stance on no-deal and whether or not the Scottish Tory MPs in Westminster support prorogation.   

wigginhall

« Reply #4293 on: August 28, 2019, 02:50:07 PM »
I wonder if this will force a VONC, which Boris will hope to lose, then an election, people versus parliament, which Boris should win, unless there is outrage at prorogation.  I expect Boris to win, the other parties are flat-footed.
They were the footprints of a gigantic hound!

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #4294 on: August 28, 2019, 02:53:48 PM »
It has its own problems for the SNP in that their more radical supporters are calling for immediate action - see Craig Murray's blog below

https://www.craigmurray.org.uk/archives/2019/08/boris-johnson-crosses-the-rubicon-we-must-react-now/?fbclid=IwAR2YVh4H1Ji8MpjT1xEOodsU6ud9Ft3z6UgafB4nfLPupbqnas0dsCwdhxg

And while he is one of the radicals he is not alone and has some support in the MPs. Add to that the spectre of Salmond's court case next year in all likelihood and they live in interesting times.

Davidson is apparently not giving interviews today - how typical.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #4295 on: August 28, 2019, 02:59:51 PM »
I wonder if this will force a VONC, which Boris will hope to lose, then an election, people versus parliament, which Boris should win, unless there is outrage at prorogation.  I expect Boris to win, the other parties are flat-footed.

Certainly getting the spending review in will help. Then we have party conference season and if the VONC is after that you have to suspect he could win easily. There isn't really much any of the other parties other than Labour can do here. And it isn't clear that Labour can do anything.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #4296 on: August 28, 2019, 05:31:55 PM »

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #4297 on: August 28, 2019, 05:47:59 PM »

Anchorman

• Maranatha!
"for, as long as but a hundred of us remain alive, never will we on any conditions be brought under English rule. It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #4299 on: August 28, 2019, 06:29:47 PM »

Who cares?
https://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/ruth-davidson-set-to-resign-as-scottish-tory-leader-1-4993182

Well either it will herald a time where Scotland has its finances reduced or it becomes independent. Either way, I would suggest this shows precisely how much of a Minister of the Union Johnson is.