Author Topic: Brexit - the next steps  (Read 410302 times)

Robbie

Re: Brexit - the next steps
« Reply #5850 on: November 19, 2020, 06:58:27 PM »
Ippy: P S Suppose I was within your eyesight and I spoke the words of my original post in a questioning tone or manner; not that much of a difference you'd have to admit, unless, of course, it was something you'd rather not hear?

It would remind me of how a lot of young (and some not so young), people spoke in the late 1990s to 'noughties' with practically every sentence!  I remember talking to someone on the telephone at work once with a woman who was doing that and I said a couple of times, "You don't sound terribly sure", which made no difference.  That habit has now, thankfully, gone out of fashion.

By the way, I am not surly  ;).
True Wit is Nature to Advantage drest,
          What oft was Thought, but ne’er so well Exprest

ippy

« Reply #5851 on: November 19, 2020, 07:31:00 PM »
I will leave it , but as I'm feeling pedantic I'll finish with saying that sticking a question mark at the end of a statement does not make that statement a question.

You're right you were!

Oh yes I nearly forgot, you don't hear much of or about Anna  Subury or Ken Clark these days?

ippy.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2020, 07:46:18 PM by ippy »

ippy

« Reply #5852 on: November 19, 2020, 07:59:55 PM »
Ippy: P S Suppose I was within your eyesight and I spoke the words of my original post in a questioning tone or manner; not that much of a difference you'd have to admit, unless, of course, it was something you'd rather not hear?

It would remind me of how a lot of young (and some not so young), people spoke in the late 1990s to 'noughties' with practically every sentence!  I remember talking to someone on the telephone at work once with a woman who was doing that and I said a couple of times, "You don't sound terribly sure", which made no difference.  That habit has now, thankfully, gone out of fashion.

By the way, I am not surly  ;).

You'd probably be quiet difficult to have a conversation with then, especially as you seem to be saying you're not that good at listening to tone of voice or interpreting body language.

This has nothing to do with times past present or future, the language does move on and it seems to you the tone of voice and body language doesn't figure in the same way any more?

Yes and by the way you don't hear much from or about Anna Subury or Ken Clark any more?   

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #5853 on: November 19, 2020, 08:00:11 PM »
You're right you were!

Oh yes I nearly forgot, you don't hear much of or about Anna  Subury or Ken Clark these days?

ippy.

Well Ken Clarke now sits in the HoL, and has been quite vocal there of late in pointing out criticisms of the current bunch of Tory fuckwits who are posing as a government as regards their attempts to force through legislation that subverts devolution and breaks international law.

Maybe you haven't been paying sufficient attention, ippy.

ippy

« Reply #5854 on: November 20, 2020, 12:44:26 PM »
Well Ken Clarke now sits in the HoL, and has been quite vocal there of late in pointing out criticisms of the current bunch of Tory fuckwits who are posing as a government as regards their attempts to force through legislation that subverts devolution and breaks international law.

Maybe you haven't been paying sufficient attention, ippy.

Where's Chuka Amunna gone as well as those other two heroes don't see or hear much about him either.

Can't say I didn't like Chuka other than the his point of view on where  we obviously don't see eye to eye.

I couldn't help noticing the vultures up there circling looking over waiting for, from the minutest of, or any other larger scale hiccups we're bound to have after the 31st.

There you are something for the remainer pack to jump on, enjoy!

ippy.

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #5855 on: November 20, 2020, 01:19:27 PM »
Where's Chuka Amunna gone as well as those other two heroes don't see or hear much about him either.

Can't say I didn't like Chuka other than the his point of view on where  we obviously don't see eye to eye.

I couldn't help noticing the vultures up there circling looking over waiting for, from the minutest of, or any other larger scale hiccups we're bound to have after the 31st.

There you are something for the remainer pack to jump on, enjoy!

ippy.

You were wrong about Ken Clarke, ippy, and I'm not sure that pulling other names out of a hat compensates for your error.

Brexit will be a disaster of course: in that it is being 'masterminded' by a bunch of corrupt idiots. On the bright side though, it should aid the breakup of the UK in due course.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2020, 01:44:39 PM by Gordon »

ippy

« Reply #5856 on: November 20, 2020, 03:06:46 PM »
You were wrong about Ken Clarke, ippy, and I'm not sure that pulling other names out of a hat compensates for your error.

Brexit will be a disaster of course: in that it is being 'masterminded' by a bunch of corrupt idiots. On the bright side though, it should aid the breakup of the UK in due course.

I suppose because I'm not a Guardian reader and am unable to take the BBC seriously either on this subject any more, even the RT English language news has less bias on this subject, I suppose because I've written those two off for good, the BBC/Guardian, I suppose it stands to reason I wouldn't have heard much about Ken.

ippy

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #5857 on: November 20, 2020, 03:23:54 PM »
I suppose because I'm not a Guardian reader and am unable to take the BBC seriously either on this subject any more, even the RT English language news has less bias on this subject, I suppose because I've written those two off for good, the BBC/Guardian, I suppose it stands to reason I wouldn't have heard much about Ken.

ippy
Daily Express and ITV

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1359228/brexit-news-ken-clarke-boris-johnson-latest-internal-market-bill-donald-trump-update-vn

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Last Edit: November 20, 2020, 03:30:28 PM by Nearly Sane »

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #5859 on: November 20, 2020, 03:59:37 PM »

ippy

« Reply #5860 on: November 21, 2020, 11:55:19 AM »
Quiet obviously this one extreme or the other that divides us about brexit won't be going away anytime soon.

You can call me as illogical as you like, I really don't mind, but the thought of that E U Supreme court, or whatever is its correct title is,  overruling the U K in the smallest of any decision in any way will never be acceptable to me, this isn't the only reason I voted to leave but it is the main and most important reason for me.

Regards to all, ippy.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #5861 on: November 21, 2020, 01:38:13 PM »
Quiet obviously this one extreme or the other that divides us about brexit won't be going away anytime soon.

You can call me as illogical as you like, I really don't mind, but the thought of that E U Supreme court, or whatever is its correct title is,  overruling the U K in the smallest of any decision in any way will never be acceptable to me, this isn't the only reason I voted to leave but it is the main and most important reason for me.

Regards to all, ippy.

What makes you think British courts are any better at protecting your freedoms than European ones?
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

ippy

« Reply #5862 on: November 22, 2020, 04:48:05 PM »
What makes you think British courts are any better at protecting your freedoms than European ones?

Like I say, leavers and remainers are polls apart on this issue and I dare say it'll be staying that way for a mighty long time, so even if I described my reasons for not wanting that foreign institution, as I see it, looming over the UK, I doubt whatever reason spelled out to you, trying to explain why they're welcome to their court, would there be any point? 

All it means is were never likely to agree here, it is an enormously large divide, however it does not mean either side of this dispute is composed of irreversibly bad people as quiet a few remainers seem to want to convey in the direction of those of us that prefer leaving.

ippy. 

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #5863 on: November 22, 2020, 05:33:55 PM »
I don't think those that voted leave are "irreversibly bad" - I just think they have been fed a load of lies by  malign people who have no interest in the ordinary people of this country and have agreed to make themselves poorer as part of that process.

Unfortunately due to the way these things work they have decided to make me poorer, which is really irritating.
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #5864 on: November 22, 2020, 05:34:50 PM »
Like I say, leavers and remainers are polls apart on this issue and I dare say it'll be staying that way for a mighty long time, so even if I described my reasons for not wanting that foreign institution, as I see it, looming over the UK, I doubt whatever reason spelled out to you, trying to explain why they're welcome to their court, would there be any point? 

All it means is were never likely to agree here, it is an enormously large divide, however it does not mean either side of this dispute is composed of irreversibly bad people as quiet a few remainers seem to want to convey in the direction of those of us that prefer leaving.

ippy.

I'd have thought that the bulk of Brexit enthusiasts fall into two classes:

1. Those who told lies about it: for either political reasons and/or the prospect of exploitation (such as by reducing standards and business costs, thereby increasing profits).

2. The gullible.

I do hope that all Brexit enthusiasts will be 'taking [back] control' of the chaos that will commence on 1/1/2021 - after all it will be what they voted for.   

Roses

« Reply #5865 on: November 22, 2020, 05:42:26 PM »
Brexit will be a disaster, imo. Its supporters will soon start moaning when some things are in short supply.
"At the going down of the sun and in the morning we will remember them."

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #5866 on: November 22, 2020, 05:58:02 PM »

ippy.
Sorry, this is just drivel. Portraying those on either side of this as homogenous is incredibly simplistic. 

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #5867 on: November 22, 2020, 06:02:38 PM »
I don't think those that voted leave are "irreversibly bad" - I just think they have been fed a load of lies by  malign people who have no interest in the ordinary people of this country and have agreed to make themselves poorer as part of that process.

Unfortunately due to the way these things work they have decided to make me poorer, which is really irritating.

1. Those who told lies about it: for either political reasons and/or the prospect of exploitation (such as by reducing standards and business costs, thereby increasing profits).

2. The gullible.

I do hope that all Brexit enthusiasts will be 'taking [back] control' of the chaos that will commence on 1/1/2021 - after all it will be what they voted for.   

As with ippy's post I find these sort of takes about 17 million people  way too simplistic.

ippy

« Reply #5868 on: November 23, 2020, 05:30:02 PM »

My view of your post Trent is, as near as dammit, the complete reverse of yours, it wont happen, the two sides on Brexit are just as I say, we'll never agree!

ippy.

ippy

« Reply #5869 on: November 23, 2020, 05:35:18 PM »

2. The gullible.

Like I've said to Trent as near as dammit, without arguing any individual points, I see the dispute the reverse of your way of thinking on this subject and I don't see remainers as bad people either, just wrong.

ippy

Harrowby Hall

« Reply #5870 on: November 23, 2020, 07:20:40 PM »
Like I've said to Trent as near as dammit, without arguing any individual points, I see the dispute the reverse of your way of thinking on this subject and I don't see remainers as bad people either, just wrong.

ippy

I wonder if you will be expressing the same opinions in a year or so's time?
Does Magna Carta mean nothing to you? Did she die in vain?

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #5871 on: November 24, 2020, 11:24:42 AM »

ippy

Have you thought of any ways Brexit will benefit you yet?
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

ippy

« Reply #5872 on: November 24, 2020, 11:50:07 AM »
I wonder if you will be expressing the same opinions in a year or so's time?

I'm sure there'll be plenty for remainers to pick at for a long time. 

ippy.

ippy

« Reply #5873 on: November 24, 2020, 11:56:21 AM »
Have you thought of any ways Brexit will benefit you yet?

Have you got it that we're never likely to agree, whatever anyone in favour of leaving says I doubt their would be any common ground, isn't that why there was a referendum? Sorry we're probably not even going to agree about referendums either.

ippy.

Harrowby Hall

« Reply #5874 on: November 24, 2020, 12:28:27 PM »
... isn't that why there was a referendum? ...

The sole purpose of the referendum was to silence the right wing of the Conservative Party.
Does Magna Carta mean nothing to you? Did she die in vain?