Author Topic: Brexit - the next steps  (Read 410320 times)

Gordon

• Administrator

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
Re: Brexit - the next steps
« Reply #5876 on: November 25, 2020, 10:07:52 AM »
Have you got it that we're never likely to agree
So the answer is still no. You can't think of any way in which you will be better off as a result of Brexit.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #5877 on: November 25, 2020, 10:08:52 AM »
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

The Accountant, OBE, KC

« Reply #5878 on: November 25, 2020, 10:58:49 AM »
The sole purpose of the referendum was to silence the right wing of the Conservative Party.
That backfired then. I think one of the tactics employed by some Remainers to win people to their side - ie. call everyone who didn't agree with them a racist idiot - was not particularly persuasive. People on both sides seemed to want to vent rather be diplomatic, listen to concerns and work towards a consensus of some kind. Not listening to people and addressing their concerns seems to be one of the reasons why Leave gained support enough votes to Brexit, and the country became more divided. It was a very useful lesson but people have short memories so doubt it will sink in. 

I identify as a Sword because I have abstract social constructs e.g. honour and patriotism. My preferred pronouns are "kill/ maim/ dismember"

Quite handy with weapons - available for hire to defeat money laundering crooks around the world.

“Forget safety. Live where you fear to live.” Rumi

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #5879 on: November 25, 2020, 03:18:48 PM »
So the Spending Review today mentioned Brexit zero times.

ippy

« Reply #5880 on: November 25, 2020, 04:26:12 PM »
The sole purpose of the referendum was to silence the right wing of the Conservative Party.

I've no problem assuming you're right about that, it also obviously resolved a problem that had been bothering a lot of people too.

ippy.

ippy

« Reply #5881 on: November 25, 2020, 04:30:32 PM »

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #5882 on: November 25, 2020, 04:33:08 PM »
How surprising to see an article of this nature in the Guardian.

ippy.

You can see articles of that nature elsewhere if you can be arsed to look Ippy.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8873383/Brexit-Drone-photos-reveal-27-acre-Kent-field-workers-turn-park-1-700-lorries.html

Look at the photos and weep. Is this what you really envisaged in your brave new world.
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator

ippy

« Reply #5884 on: November 25, 2020, 04:46:28 PM »
So the answer is still no. You can't think of any way in which you will be better off as a result of Brexit.

The answer is that we're never going to agree on this so I'm not going to argue with anybody, I'm pretty sure that would include you j p.

I'll say again, our population were so divided on brexit neither side would be accepting the others arguments, whatever said, so the only way around this impasse was to have a referendum and I must admit I too would have felt very bitter and let down if remain had won the day.

ippy,

ippy

« Reply #5885 on: November 25, 2020, 04:59:41 PM »
You can see articles of that nature elsewhere if you can be arsed to look Ippy.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8873383/Brexit-Drone-photos-reveal-27-acre-Kent-field-workers-turn-park-1-700-lorries.html

Look at the photos and weep. Is this what you really envisaged in your brave new world.

It's a shame the country is so divided on brexit, no doubt there will be plenty to complain about as things settle down, after all we were a part of the EU for around forty years and it'd be even more surprising to me if everything went smoothly during the course of leaving.

It must be a bitter pill for remainers and I think it should also be remembered that I'm not the only person in the UK that voted to leave.

ippy.

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #5886 on: November 25, 2020, 05:14:07 PM »
I'll say again, our population were so divided on brexit neither side would be accepting the others arguments, whatever said, so the only way around this impasse was to have a referendum and I must admit I too would have felt very bitter and let down if remain had won the day.

ippy,

That is plain wrong: there was no widespread public pressure for an EU referendum.

The only pressure was coming from the lunatic fringe of the Tory party and David Cameron was daft enough to concede them a referendum, no doubt to shut them up, if he won a majority in the 2015 general election: he, quite possibly, imagined there would be another pact with the Lib Dems, but he did win a majority and had painted himself into a corner.

He could, of course, have ignored them, and if he had then we wouldn't be in this mess now.

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #5887 on: November 25, 2020, 06:07:41 PM »
It must be a bitter pill for remainers and I think it should also be remembered that I'm not the only person in the UK that voted to leave.

ippy.
And plenty are regretting it.

The same question has been asked at least twice every month since the vote by yougov:

'In hindsight, do you think Britain was right or wrong to vote to leave the EU?'

Over the years there has been an inexorable trend from people thinking it 'right' to thinking it 'wrong'. It is no longer even close, with 50% considering it 'wrong' compared to just 39% who think it 'right'.

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #5888 on: November 25, 2020, 06:32:14 PM »

I don't think I implied, or indeed, thought that you were the only person to vote leave.

A bitter pill for all of us. You are still in denial.
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

ippy

« Reply #5889 on: November 25, 2020, 09:03:05 PM »
I don't think I implied, or indeed, thought that you were the only person to vote leave.

A bitter pill for all of us. You are still in denial.

Not really Trent, I can see it could be one of the ways a remainer would look at people that prefer to leave the EU.

ippy.

P S had a look at this old post of mine, I meant not really in denial, again, my thoughts on this are as near as dammit visa versa to yours Trent.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2020, 06:13:35 PM by ippy »

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #5890 on: December 07, 2020, 11:29:01 AM »
I'll just leave this here:

https://www.itv.com/news/2020-12-06/the-12-reasonable-worst-case-outcomes-if-brexit-talks-collapse?

I know it won't worry our ardent Leave supporter overly much.

Worries me though.

Roses

« Reply #5891 on: December 07, 2020, 11:33:41 AM »
It worries me too.  :o
"At the going down of the sun and in the morning we will remember them."

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #5892 on: December 09, 2020, 06:23:10 PM »

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #5893 on: December 09, 2020, 06:53:37 PM »
It's funny how fish magically become ours when they cross an invisible line drawn in the sea around the UK, but when people try that trick the opposite applies.

Roses

« Reply #5894 on: December 10, 2020, 01:42:20 PM »
Without any agreement the UK will be up the creek minus a paddle. :o
"At the going down of the sun and in the morning we will remember them."

Harrowby Hall

« Reply #5895 on: December 10, 2020, 07:18:06 PM »
You know, it makes me proud to know that we an honourable man as Prime Minister. A man who keeps his word. A man who stands by his principles.

Boris Johnson said "Fuck business."   

...  And he is doing just that.
Does Magna Carta mean nothing to you? Did she die in vain?

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #5896 on: December 10, 2020, 07:56:02 PM »
You know, it makes me proud to know that we an honourable man as Prime Minister. A man who keeps his word. A man who stands by his principles.

Boris Johnson said "Fuck business."   

...  And he is doing just that.

Handbags. It's all about handbags. You buy one. I buy one. Apparently.

Harrowby Hall

« Reply #5897 on: December 10, 2020, 08:05:32 PM »
You mean that he is a Thatcher throwback?

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #5898 on: December 10, 2020, 08:08:57 PM »
You mean that he is a Thatcher throwback?

No -  he was babbling about handbags in his press briefing. Fuck knows why.

Much though I detested that woman there is no way she would have made the complete and utter balls up that Johnson has accomplished.

It is mind boggling in its venality and stupidity.

Harrowby Hall

« Reply #5899 on: December 10, 2020, 08:59:16 PM »
Oh, I hadn't head about Johnson's babbling. Thank you.

I  read somewhere that Johnson wants to have been prime minister  but does want to be prime minister.