Author Topic: Brexit - the next steps  (Read 410066 times)

jakswan

• Preloved Ads
Re: Brexit - the next steps
« Reply #6150 on: January 10, 2021, 09:53:59 AM »
The disaster continues to unfold: can't say I'm surprised.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/jan/10/baffling-brexit-rules-threaten-export-chaos-gove-is-warned

Aye lets hope Nicola is keeping a close watch as she wants Scotland to go through the same thing with rUK, well assuming she survives.
Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.
- Voltaire

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #6151 on: January 10, 2021, 09:57:55 AM »
Aye lets hope Nicola is keeping a close watch as she wants Scotland to go through the same thing with rUK, well assuming she survives.
Classic whataboutery

jakswan

• Preloved Ads
« Reply #6152 on: January 10, 2021, 10:03:21 AM »
Classic whataboutery

Right back at ya!
- Voltaire

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #6153 on: January 10, 2021, 10:05:49 AM »
Right back at ya!
So you accept you used the tu quoque fallacy?

SteveH

• God? She's black.
« Reply #6154 on: January 10, 2021, 10:10:30 AM »
 ::) ::) ::)
When conspiracy nuts start spouting their bollocks, the best answer is "That's what they want you to think".

jakswan

• Preloved Ads
« Reply #6155 on: January 10, 2021, 11:01:19 AM »
So you accept you used the tu quoque fallacy?

No.

Let me start with Gordon's post again, less glib this time.
The disaster continues to unfold: can't say I'm surprised.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/jan/10/baffling-brexit-rules-threaten-export-chaos-gove-is-warned

Gordon, given you label this as a disaster, does it give you any concern on what an iScotland might have to go through in order to continue trading with UK?
- Voltaire

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #6156 on: January 10, 2021, 12:43:26 PM »
No.

Let me start with Gordon's post again, less glib this time.
Gordon, given you label this as a disaster, does it give you any concern on what an iScotland might have to go through in order to continue trading with UK?

How can it at this stage - it would be a separate negotiation involving very different circumstances; for instance, an independent Scotland would have no land border with the EU, and any subsequent agreement an independent Scotland would seek to negotiate with the EU (pending applying for EU membership), such as custom union/single market, would probably not be identical to that just negotiated by the UK. Moreover, an independent Scotland's preferences as regards its immediate relationship the EU post independence would clearly be a factor in its negotiations with the UK.       

The issue that the Guardian link highlights is that what has just been negotiated by the UK government is already proving to be problematic, and that is a consequence of the UKs particular approach to the EU, which may not be the approach adopted by an independent Scotland.   
« Last Edit: January 10, 2021, 12:46:02 PM by Gordon »

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #6157 on: January 10, 2021, 02:35:33 PM »
How can it at this stage - it would be a separate negotiation involving very different circumstances; for instance, an independent Scotland would have no land border with the EU, and any subsequent agreement an independent Scotland would seek to negotiate with the EU (pending applying for EU membership), such as custom union/single market, would probably not be identical to that just negotiated by the UK. Moreover, an independent Scotland's preferences as regards its immediate relationship the EU post independence would clearly be a factor in its negotiations with the UK.       

The issue that the Guardian link highlights is that what has just been negotiated by the UK government is already proving to be problematic, and that is a consequence of the UKs particular approach to the EU, which may not be the approach adopted by an independent Scotland.
I think the difficulty of the negotiations for Brexit are a reasonable question to raise in terms of how Scexit might happen. It's unlikely to be any simpler and if we are adding in rejoining the EU at around the same time likely to be way more complex - though it might be argued that the Northern Ireland deal is not a million miles away from something that might work.

As already pointed out in reply to Trentvoayager though the argument that the rUK govt might act as bastards in any such negotiation isn't a good one for staying as it's the argument for staying on an abusive relationship. Just been having a conversation about this and what the Tory party is currently not is a positive unionist party. That I think is the biggest recruotinv sargeant for Yes voters.

jakswan

• Preloved Ads
« Reply #6158 on: January 10, 2021, 02:37:59 PM »

I think if Scotland joined EU customs union then it would have to leave the UK single market?

I agree Scotland-EU will have zero issues but once Scotland joins the EU then Scotland-rUK relationship would be exactly like EU-UK relationship.
- Voltaire

Nearly Sane

• Administrator

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #6160 on: January 10, 2021, 04:32:37 PM »
More 'benefits'

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/uk-visa-free-work-musicians-eu-brexit-b1784600.html
And I cannot understand why the UK didn't agree to that one. Maybe it's because most musicians are Remainers and they wanted to spite them.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

Nearly Sane

• Administrator

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #6163 on: January 13, 2021, 08:41:17 AM »
« Last Edit: January 13, 2021, 08:53:46 AM by Nearly Sane »

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #6164 on: January 13, 2021, 11:38:56 AM »

Nearly Sane

• Administrator

Gordon

• Administrator

Nearly Sane

• Administrator

Udayana

• βε ηερε νοω
    • The Byrds - My Back Pages
« Reply #6169 on: January 14, 2021, 03:06:01 PM »
They certainly will be happier without British boats after them! :)
Ah, but I was so much older then ... I'm younger than that now

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #6170 on: January 15, 2021, 09:53:52 AM »

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #6171 on: January 15, 2021, 10:56:02 AM »
'Better, happier fish'

https://www.andoveradvertiser.co.uk/news/national/19011234.fish-better-happier-now-british-claims-rees-mogg/

Are people ever going to realise that this man is an absolute fucking joke. He's a caricature that even caricaturists could not have thought up.
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #6172 on: January 15, 2021, 10:59:03 AM »
Are people ever going to realise that this man is an absolute fucking joke. He's a caricature that even caricaturists could not have thought up.
I don't find him a joke. That he makes a stupid and pathetic remark like this about people losing their businesses because of his actions, and the actions of the govt he is in makes him dangerous.

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #6173 on: January 15, 2021, 11:02:24 AM »
I don't find him a joke. That he makes a stupid and pathetic remark like this about people losing their businesses because of his actions, and the actions of the govt he is in makes him dangerous.

I take your point. Although jokes can I think be dangerous.
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #6174 on: January 15, 2021, 11:05:02 AM »
I take your point. Although jokes can I think be dangerous.
Especially elected ones - but I think much of the caricaturing of the likes of  Rees Mogg and Johnson allows the inherent danger to slip by.