Author Topic: Brexit - the next steps  (Read 410000 times)

Stranger

• Lightly seared on the reality grill.
Re: Brexit - the next steps
« Reply #6250 on: June 02, 2021, 08:46:33 AM »
However, one of the taxi drivers was saying the other day that he was definitely a remainer, but now wonders whether the faccination programme would have gone as well as it has here if we had remained. all irrelevant now of course, since we're out and that's it, but interesting nevertheless.

The idea that we could do what we did because of Brexit is just more misinformation. We approved the first vaccine (before the European Medicines Agency) while still operating under EU rules (before the end of the transition period). There is also nothing the EU could have done to stop us procuring our own supplies.

See, for example, here:-

"In an interview on Times Radio, the health secretary Matt Hancock incorrectly claimed that the UK was able to approve the use of the Pfizer/BioNTech coronavirus vaccine more quickly because of Brexit. Similar claims have also been made by other MPs including the leader of the House of Commons Jacob Rees-Mogg, health minister Nadine Dorries and the MP Michael Fabricant. This is not correct.

The facts behind this story lie with regulation 174 of the Human Medicine Regulations 2012.

Until the Brexit transition period ends on 31 December, vaccines in the UK are supposed to be authorised via the European Medicines Agency (EMA). However, since 2012, the UK’s Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) has been free, under regulation 174, to give temporary approval to an unlicensed medicinal product in the case of certain types of public health threat, such as a pandemic.

When the MHRA approved the Pfizer/BioNTech coronavirus vaccine for use in the UK on 2 December, the government press release accompanying this announcement made clear that approval was given under regulation 174.
"

"Similarly, the member states were in no way obliged to take part in the EU’s joint vaccine procurement scheme. The EU has very limited competences for public health under its founding treaties: it can take action only to “support, coordinate or supplement the actions of the Member States”. The EU member states in this case voluntarily decided to opt into the joint procurement scheme. If one or more of them had decided to follow the UK’s path and procure its own vaccines, no one would have stopped them."
x(∅ ∈ x ∧ ∀y(yxy ∪ {y} ∈ x))

SusanDoris

« Reply #6251 on: June 02, 2021, 10:42:43 AM »
The idea that we could do what we did because of Brexit is just more misinformation. We approved the first vaccine (before the European Medicines Agency) while still operating under EU rules (before the end of the transition period). There is also nothing the EU could have done to stop us procuring our own supplies.

See, for example, here:-

"In an interview on Times Radio, the health secretary Matt Hancock incorrectly claimed that the UK was able to approve the use of the Pfizer/BioNTech coronavirus vaccine more quickly because of Brexit. Similar claims have also been made by other MPs including the leader of the House of Commons Jacob Rees-Mogg, health minister Nadine Dorries and the MP Michael Fabricant. This is not correct.

The facts behind this story lie with regulation 174 of the Human Medicine Regulations 2012.

Until the Brexit transition period ends on 31 December, vaccines in the UK are supposed to be authorised via the European Medicines Agency (EMA). However, since 2012, the UK’s Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) has been free, under regulation 174, to give temporary approval to an unlicensed medicinal product in the case of certain types of public health threat, such as a pandemic.

When the MHRA approved the Pfizer/BioNTech coronavirus vaccine for use in the UK on 2 December, the government press release accompanying this announcement made clear that approval was given under regulation 174.
"

"Similarly, the member states were in no way obliged to take part in the EU’s joint vaccine procurement scheme. The EU has very limited competences for public health under its founding treaties: it can take action only to “support, coordinate or supplement the actions of the Member States”. The EU member states in this case voluntarily decided to opt into the joint procurement scheme. If one or more of them had decided to follow the UK’s path and procure its own vaccines, no one would have stopped them."
Thank you - very interesting. I shall pass the information on to the said taxi driver, who will in fact be quite interested.
The Most Honourable Sister of Titular Indecision.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator

Harrowby Hall

« Reply #6253 on: June 16, 2021, 08:37:15 AM »
So far, following the triumphal trumpeting of the walking baby-making machine which disastrously masquerades as the prime Minister of the United Kingdom (I'm sure that from this characterisation it is clear that my comments are totally objective) about the trading agreement between the UK and Australia, no-one appears to have questioned any environmental consequences.

When last I looked, Australia and Great Britain were almost as far apart geographically as it is possible to get on planet Earth. And products travelling from one country to the other would require a journey by ship lasting a number of weeks or transportation by air which, in carbon terms, is very expensive. In addition, most food products - certainly meat - will also require constant refrigeration.

Do you think that environmental considerations formed any part of the deliberations?
Does Magna Carta mean nothing to you? Did she die in vain?

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #6254 on: June 16, 2021, 12:05:27 PM »
Cheer up HH. Look to the positives. It's going to save you 52p a year. Don't you go spending all that at once.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/jun/15/uk-australia-trade-deal-what-does-it-mean-brexit

I particularly like the small detail  pointed out that Jacobs Creek wines on which we are going to save all that money is owned by "Pernod Ricard, one of France’s biggest alcohol companies.".

There has to be some kind of irony in there somewhere.
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #6255 on: June 16, 2021, 02:00:50 PM »
Cheer up HH. Look to the positives. It's going to save you 52p a year. Don't you go spending all that at once.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/jun/15/uk-australia-trade-deal-what-does-it-mean-brexit

I particularly like the small detail  pointed out that Jacobs Creek wines on which we are going to save all that money is owned by "Pernod Ricard, one of France’s biggest alcohol companies.".

There has to be some kind of irony in there somewhere.
Italy's prosecco producers must be quaking in their boots.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #6256 on: June 17, 2021, 04:24:19 PM »
Farmers are starting to wake up to the fact that they were lied to. I'm trying hard to sympathise.

https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/news/food-standards-uk-farmers-brexit-australia-trade-deal-276455/?
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #6257 on: June 17, 2021, 04:40:00 PM »
Farmers are starting to wake up to the fact that they were lied to. I'm trying hard to sympathise.

https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/news/food-standards-uk-farmers-brexit-australia-trade-deal-276455/?
Shame it was now rather than before June 24th 2016.

This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #6258 on: June 18, 2021, 10:59:28 AM »
Do I remember politicians of a certain persuasion telling us that our trade with Europe would be unaffected?

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2021/jun/18/british-food-and-drink-exports-to-eu-fall-by-2bn-in-first-quarter-of-2021?

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #6259 on: June 24, 2021, 07:11:48 PM »

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #6260 on: August 05, 2021, 07:26:33 PM »

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #6261 on: August 07, 2021, 01:00:33 PM »
I do hope you have all got your irony meters up to their full charge:

https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/politics/tory-mp-and-self-styled-hardman-of-brexit-now-says-brexit-is-a-fiasco-284751/?
Great hair though....if toilet brushes wore suits they'd be Steve Baker.

Sriram

• Spirituality & Science
« Reply #6262 on: August 24, 2021, 03:40:49 PM »

Nearly Sane

• Administrator

Nearly Sane

• Administrator

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #6265 on: August 29, 2021, 10:27:05 PM »
Hmmm, how could we have avoided this?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9936697/MAIL-SUNDAY-COMMENT-Lets-unite-EU-crush-curse-border-bureaucracy.html

Is the Mail suffering from the print equivalent of dementia.

Just read that - "Let's unite with the EU"

Anchorman

• Maranatha!
« Reply #6266 on: August 30, 2021, 09:02:43 AM »
Just had  a call from my pharmacist. She suggested I cut down the amiunt of one of my eye drops - the important one - because they've tried everything to expedite its' export from Germany, but the new regulations and transport have delayed supplies till Wednesday, and I won't get my prescription before  Friday at the earliest. It's a drug which needs refrigeration.
I SHOULD have got my repeat last Tuesday.
"for, as long as but a hundred of us remain alive, never will we on any conditions be brought under English rule. It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #6267 on: August 30, 2021, 09:08:09 AM »
Just had  a call from my pharmacist. She suggested I cut down the amiunt of one of my eye drops - the important one - because they've tried everything to expedite its' export from Germany, but the new regulations and transport have delayed supplies till Wednesday, and I won't get my prescription before  Friday at the earliest. It's a drug which needs refrigeration.
I SHOULD have got my repeat last Tuesday.

That is shocking. Replicate that across the country and how many people are being affected by this governments disregard for it's own actions, or perhaps inactions.

Anchorman

• Maranatha!
« Reply #6268 on: August 30, 2021, 09:11:57 AM »
That is shocking. Replicate that across the country and how many people are being affected by this governments disregard for it's own actions, or perhaps inactions.

At least I'm - relatively - lucky, TV. I can half this particular drug dose in the short term without riskin what vision I have.
Think of those with complex medical conditions who can't reduce the drug without endangering their healt - or their life.
Ah, the joys of Brexit Britain.
"for, as long as but a hundred of us remain alive, never will we on any conditions be brought under English rule. It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Nearly Sane

• Administrator

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #6270 on: September 01, 2021, 11:31:42 AM »
No beer at Wetherspoons.

Karma in action.

Walt Zingmatilder

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #6272 on: September 01, 2021, 02:33:53 PM »
No beer at Wetherspoons.

https://metro.co.uk/2021/08/31/beer-shortages-at-wetherspoons-after-brexit-and-covid-hit-supply-chains-15184924/?ito=article.mweb.share.top.twitter

Couldn't have happened to a nicer chap.

Next we'll have James Dyson whining that there's nobody to sell his vacuum cleaners.

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #6273 on: September 02, 2021, 03:49:03 PM »
More confirmation of just how fucking wonderful Brexit is turning out - if we are to believe what the Brexit enthusiasts claim then they knew what they were voting for (fools that they were).

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2021/sep/02/brexit-uk-food-drink-exports-eu-disastrous-decline
« Last Edit: September 02, 2021, 03:52:16 PM by Gordon »

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #6274 on: September 02, 2021, 07:04:27 PM »
More confirmation of just how fucking wonderful Brexit is turning out - if we are to believe what the Brexit enthusiasts claim then they knew what they were voting for (fools that they were).

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2021/sep/02/brexit-uk-food-drink-exports-eu-disastrous-decline

Yes it's all going swimmingly well. My state of mind is worrying me. I'm entertaining dark thoughts about the exact methods I will use to torture Tim Martin.