Author Topic: God is the only person who cannot sin or be tempted and tested to do so.  (Read 13083 times)

Sassy

Another thread this morning reveals how people mistake Christ for God instead of the Son of God.
King James Bible
Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.

Christ clearly was born of God... Luke 1: 35 And the angel answered and said unto her, The Holy Ghost shall come upon thee, and the power of the Highest shall overshadow thee: therefore also that holy thing which shall be born of thee shall be called the Son of God.

As he had free will he clearly defined the truth when he said:

KJV.  Believest thou not that I am in the Father, and the Father in me? the words that I speak unto you I speak not of myself: but the Father that dwelleth in me, he doeth the works.

So many ignore the actual words of Christ and the disciples because they simply do not want to accept the truth that Christ is the Son of God.  At no time does Christ claim the glory as to make himself God not even equal to God. Because he is telling us how he can do what he does.

So often the verses where Christ speaks are taken out of context. John 20:28 is such a verse. When in read in the understanding of Deuteronomy.

I will raise them up a Prophet from among their brethren, like unto thee, and will put my words in his mouth; and he shall speak unto them all that I shall command him.

God put his words into Christ mouth and so Thomas knew God was with Christ and it was God giving him what to say.

The Word of God has always come to man by the power of Gods Holy Spirit and Jesus said, " My words are SPIRIT and they are LIFE"

So error came in a long time ago. Hence we were told to guard our hearts and minds because God cannot change and he does not change. He is one God. I am sure though written in black and white many will ignore the truth for the manmade version.

We know we have to work together to abolish war and terrorism to create a compassionate  world in which Justice and peace prevail. Love ;D   Einstein
 "Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

floo

Re: God is the only person who cannot sin or be tempted and tested to do so.
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2016, 02:45:04 PM »
You obviously have never read the Bible and the deeds attributed to god, if you think it can do no wrong!

Spud

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2016, 04:47:35 PM »
Sass,

One could easily say to God something which implied you were tempting him to do something evil. That's not the sense in which James means God cannot be tempted, though. I think he means that if you said something to tempt him, there is no way that he could, in himself (ie if he thought about it for a bit) be enticed to do what you suggested.
In fact, James says in the next verse, "But each one is tempted when he is drawn away by his own desires and enticed." Here he explains that he is talking about internal enticement, which is what is impossible with God.

So Jesus could be God and still be tempted by an external source, but not enticed internally.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2016, 06:59:20 PM by Spud »

Brownie

• Faith evolves
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2016, 05:03:21 PM »
"Lead us not into temptation", sometimes causes differences of opinion.
My interpretation is "Please help us not to go where there is much temptation", but I've heard others.
Let us profit by what every day and hour teaches us

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2016, 06:12:17 PM »
Another thread this morning reveals how people mistake Christ for God instead of the Son of God.
King James Bible
Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.

Christ clearly was born of God... Luke 1: 35 And the angel answered and said unto her, The Holy Ghost shall come upon thee, and the power of the Highest shall overshadow thee: therefore also that holy thing which shall be born of thee shall be called the Son of God.
And what do you understand by the term 'born of God', Sass?  Its perhaps worth pointing out that this passage isn't talking about Christ, but repudiating the belief - held by some - that the offer of forgiveness permits one to carry on sinning 'because God will forgive it all'.

So error came in a long time ago. Hence we were told to guard our hearts and minds because God cannot change and he does not change. He is one God. I am sure though written in black and white many will ignore the truth for the manmade version.
It might be worth checking the context and meaning of passages before posting them here, Sass.
Are your, or your friends'/relatives', garages, lofts or sheds full of unused DIY gear, sewing/knitting machines or fabric and haberdashery stuff?

Lists of what is needed and a search engine to find your nearest collector (scroll to bottom for latter) are here:  http://www.twam.uk/donate-tools

2Corrie

• Not to us, O Lord, But to Your name give glory
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2016, 09:44:11 PM »
For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders. And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.
"It is finished."

floo

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2016, 08:29:11 AM »
For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders. And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.

The Bible says a lot of things which don't have any meaning in reality.

Sassy

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2016, 09:59:13 AM »
Sass,

One could easily say to God something which implied you were tempting him to do something evil.

No! because God cannot do evil. Righteous judgement is something you need to look into.

That's not the sense in which James means God cannot be tempted, though. I think he means that if you said something to tempt him, there is no way that he could, in himself (ie if he thought about it for a bit) be enticed to do what you suggested.

Making no sense Spud. God cannot sin, cannot be tested and cannot be tempted.  We are told not to test God and that that means we who have faith should believe what he says we have no reason to test him.
We see that in Christ's answer when the devil tells Christ to throw himself from the building if he is the Son of God as God would send Angels to keep him from harm. But Christ shows that true faith does not require testing God.
Jesus knew being sinless if he really did fall God would do as he said.
We see that later in the Garden of Gethsemane when Jesus tells them his Father can send legions of Angels to save him if he so chose.But in faith we can ask God and receive. Not to test him but because God has clearly told us we can ask anything of him and he will do it in faith.

In fact, James says in the next verse, "But each one is tempted when he is drawn away by his own desires and enticed." Here he explains that he is talking about internal enticement, which is what is impossible with God.
Again your stretching things because as Christ tells us... It is what comes out of a persons mouth which reveals their heart.
Christ shows that those who know God and are lead by the truth and Spirit live according to the Spirit and not the flesh.
The heart of God is love and if love covers all sins...
King James Bible
And above all things have fervent charity among yourselves: for charity shall cover the multitude of sins.
King James Bible
Hatred stirreth up strifes: but love covereth all sins.

No greater love can a person have than to lay down their life for another.
Love the Lord your God with all your heart.
Love your neighbour as yourself.

For God so loved the world....

It is not that we first loved God or each other but that God first love us.

So Jesus could be God and still be tempted by an external source, but not enticed internally.
WRONG... God cannot be tempted and tests no one.

King James Bible
Let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of God: for God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempteth he any man:

You see the testing of Christ proves he is not God that he is the Son of God.   How can God be tempted to sin against himself?
It would be deception if Christ was God made flesh because how can Satan tempt him as he did Adam?
The bible clearly tells us that Christ is a second Adam which means he by his own will could sin.

But Christ shows when he says:-  " I am came from heaven not to do my own will but the will of him who sent me."
We know God sent Christ and Peter confirms in Acts 10

Acts 10:38 (KJV)

38 How God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Ghost and with power: who went about doing good, and healing all that were oppressed of the devil; for God was with him.

God with Christ and Christ anointed with power he had none of his own.

So no matter how you try to twist things in your mind the clear truth is that Christ, God the Father and the Holy Spirit are three individual persons and Christ is the Son of God  sent by God.
We know we have to work together to abolish war and terrorism to create a compassionate  world in which Justice and peace prevail. Love ;D   Einstein

Sassy

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2016, 10:08:26 AM »
And what do you understand by the term 'born of God', Sass?  Its perhaps worth pointing out that this passage isn't talking about Christ, but repudiating the belief - held by some - that the offer of forgiveness permits one to carry on sinning 'because God will forgive it all'.
It might be worth checking the context and meaning of passages before posting them here, Sass.
Did Christ sin?  So what are you possibly going on about. It is you who fails to grasp the fact where their is no sin, there is no forgiveness or stopping sinning required.

Christ was born of God because he did not sin and he was anointed by God with power and the Holy Ghost.
Whilst Christ was without sin he was still born of God. What that passage points out is sinners who are also FORGIVEN and are born of God (forgiven and believe in Christ and received the Holy Ghost) do not carry on sinning.

The point is that people born of God DO NOT SIN. Read the discussion or stop throwing red herrings in till you have.

Sassy

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2016, 10:27:05 AM »

Isaiah 9:6King James Version (KJV)

6 For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.

In Hebrew please....

You see it is a fact "God will be with him and put his words into his mouth"  Like Moses made like a god to Pharaoh we see this in Moses actions...when he by the finger of God

7 And the Lord said unto Moses, See, I have made thee a god to Pharaoh: and Aaron thy brother shall be thy prophet.

2 Thou shalt speak all that I command thee: and Aaron thy brother shall speak unto Pharaoh, that he send the children of Israel out of his land.

The original scroll has no chapters or verses. But we see that Christ had God with him and speaking through him.
Just as Moses did. So we are to heed what Christ tells us because God himself, like with Moses is speaking directly to us.

Read Exodus 7 -10. You will see God did with Christ as he did with Moses and Aaron.

The word clearly says his NAME shall be.

The prayer Christ taught us... Our Father which art in heaven....
What Christ clearly taught.
 King James Bible
And call no man your father upon the earth: for one is your Father, which is in heaven.

He clearly put an end to even attempting to call himself Father by others. He also pointed out that the truth is what he teaches.
That we were to listen to his teachings.

You see Christ is the prince of peace and the Everlasting Father, the Mighty God is with him providing the power, the words and the actions. Acts 10:38 just as he was with Moses but Moses and Jesus were not God in person but rather they represented God in their persons making the will of God known by the presence of God and his word with them.

Hence Thomas saying: " My Lord AND my God" Not " My Lord, My God."

For Thomas knew that God was with Christ and Christ spoke with Gods authority and power.

2Corrie

• Not to us, O Lord, But to Your name give glory
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2016, 09:37:01 PM »
Isaiah 9:6King James Version (KJV)

6 For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.

In Hebrew

The word clearly says his NAME shall be.

No capitals in Hebrew!

כִּי־יֶ֣לֶד יֻלַּד־לָ֗נוּ בֵּ֚ן נִתַּן־לָ֔נוּ וַתְּהִ֥י הַמִּשְׂרָ֖ה עַל־שִׁכְמֹ֑ו וַיִּקְרָ֨א שְׁמֹ֜ו פֶּ֠לֶא יֹועֵץ֙ אֵ֣ל גִּבֹּ֔ור אֲבִיעַ֖ד שַׂר־שָׁלֹֽום׃

Shem ;)
"It is finished."

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2016, 12:22:58 AM »
God is the only person who cannot sin or be tempted and tested to do so
So what was all that stuff about Jesus successfully resisting temptation by the devil in the wilderness then?
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

Brownie

• Faith evolves
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2016, 12:33:02 PM »
According to non-Trinitarians, it shows that Jesus is not God.
Let us profit by what every day and hour teaches us

floo

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2016, 02:42:03 PM »
I reckon the only 'gods' are humans as we are the creators of all deities, imo.

Spud

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2016, 03:24:49 PM »
WRONG... God cannot be tempted and tests no one.

Please see the following explanation, which points to Deuteronomy 6:16 and Malachi 3:15 in which Israel tempts God:

https://answersingenesis.org/who-is-god/god-is-good/can-god-be-tempted/

Notice: "it is important to understand the difference between internal enticement and external enticement."

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2016, 07:21:34 PM »
Did Christ sin?  So what are you possibly going on about. It is you who fails to grasp the fact where their is no sin, there is no forgiveness or stopping sinning required.
Sorry, Sass, the context of the passage from 1 John 3 that you have referenced is that of the author addressing humanity.  The section starts in 1 John 3 verse 8 with
He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil. (AKJV)
The passage is not referring to Christ's sinlessness in any way, but to the conseqences of sin for human beings, and Christ's redeeming grace.  Incidentally, temptation isn't in and of itself a sin; after all, Christ was tempted by Satan in the desert.  The sin is giving in to temptation.

Christ was born of God because he did not sin and he was anointed by God with power and the Holy Ghost.
Whilst Christ was without sin he was still born of God. What that passage points out is sinners who are also FORGIVEN and are born of God (forgiven and believe in Christ and received the Holy Ghost) do not carry on sinning.
But the 'He' at the start of verse 8 doesn't refer to Christ - it refers to humanity - some translations use 'The one ...'; others say some along these lines 'Those who make a practice of sin ... '.

The point is that people born of God DO NOT SIN. Read the discussion or stop throwing red herrings in till you have.
What red herring have I thrown in?  The paragraph I've quoted here is simply pointing exactly what I have said already - 'people born of God'.  The context isn't referring to Christ, because he is the answer to the problem, not part of it.
Are your, or your friends'/relatives', garages, lofts or sheds full of unused DIY gear, sewing/knitting machines or fabric and haberdashery stuff?

Lists of what is needed and a search engine to find your nearest collector (scroll to bottom for latter) are here:  http://www.twam.uk/donate-tools

Sassy

« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2016, 09:16:57 AM »
No capitals in Hebrew!

כִּי־יֶ֣לֶד יֻלַּד־לָ֗נוּ בֵּ֚ן נִתַּן־לָ֔נוּ וַתְּהִ֥י הַמִּשְׂרָ֖ה עַל־שִׁכְמֹ֑ו וַיִּקְרָ֨א שְׁמֹ֜ו פֶּ֠לֶא יֹועֵץ֙ אֵ֣ל גִּבֹּ֔ור אֲבִיעַ֖ד שַׂר־שָׁלֹֽום׃

Shem ;)

No language barrier in the Spirit.

Christ being called the Son of God....

Luke 1:38 is a direct command from God through the Angel.

Do we heed or ignore it?

Sassy

« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2016, 09:18:20 AM »
So what was all that stuff about Jesus successfully resisting temptation by the devil in the wilderness then?

Jesus is the Son of God. DOH. Lol.

floo

« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2016, 09:28:47 AM »
Jesus is the Son of God. DOH. Lol.

An assertion with no evidence to support it.

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2016, 06:04:31 PM »
I reckon the only 'gods' are humans as we are the creators of all deities, imo.

An assertion with no evidence to support it.

Evidence in support of these oft-repeated claims, please, Floo.  (I've made this request on innumerable occasions in the past - both here and on other discussion boards - and never have you provided any).

floo

« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2016, 10:49:20 AM »
Evidence in support of these oft-repeated claims, please, Floo.  (I've made this request on innumerable occasions in the past - both here and on other discussion boards - and never have you provided any).

Hope when have you ever backed up your claims with any verifiable evidence? The answer is NEVER.  As I have asked many times, if the Biblical god exist why does it play silly beggars and not make its existence clear to all in a way which no one can deny?

ippy

« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2016, 11:12:22 AM »
God is the only person who cannot sin or be tempted and tested to do so.

And can never be contacted.

ippy

floo

« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2016, 11:13:30 AM »
God is the only person who cannot sin or be tempted and tested to do so.

And can never be contacted.

ippy

How convenient!

SwordOfTheSpirit

« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2016, 01:31:38 PM »
As I have asked many times, if the Biblical god exist why does it play silly beggars and not make its existence clear to all in a way which no one can deny?
You, for one tend not to like the Biblical god when His existence was clear to all in a way which no one can deny
I haven't enough faith to be an atheist.

floo

« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2016, 01:35:34 PM »
You, for one tend not to like the Biblical god when His existence was clear to all in a way which no one can deny

God's existence has never been clear to ALL, that is why there are unbelievers! ::)