Author Topic: God is the only person who cannot sin or be tempted and tested to do so.  (Read 13061 times)

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
Re: God is the only person who cannot sin or be tempted and tested to do so.
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2016, 01:35:58 PM »
You, for one tend not to like the Biblical god when His existence was clear to all in a way which no one can deny
Did you put that in italics just to draw attention to it being mince?

SwordOfTheSpirit

« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2016, 01:53:53 PM »
Quote from: Floo
As I have asked many times, if the Biblical god exist why does it play silly beggars and not make its existence clear to all in a way which no one can deny?
Quote from: SwordOfTheSpirit
You, for one tend not to like the Biblical god when His existence was clear to all in a way which no one can deny
God's existence has never been clear to ALL, that is why there are unbelievers! ::)
Eh?

You mentioned the Biblical god. That'll be the God that's mentioned in the Bible...right?

Are there any parts in the Old Testament where belief in the God (mentioned in the Old Testament) were not necessary? (clue: e.g. the Israelites?)
I haven't enough faith to be an atheist.

Brownie

• Faith evolves
« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2016, 02:17:35 PM »
I agree with you, Sword, that God was extremely evident to those living in Biblical times.
Let us profit by what every day and hour teaches us

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2016, 02:31:05 PM »
I agree with you, Sword, that God was extremely evident to those living in Biblical times.
in what way do you justify this as fact?

floo

« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2016, 02:34:20 PM »
Eh?

You mentioned the Biblical god. That'll be the God that's mentioned in the Bible...right?

Are there any parts in the Old Testament where belief in the God (mentioned in the Old Testament) were not necessary? (clue: e.g. the Israelites?)

Just because something is believed to exist doesn't mean it does, unless you can prove it, which you can't where the Biblical god is concerned.

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2016, 04:53:16 PM »
Just because something is believed to exist doesn't mean it does, unless you can prove it, which you can't where the Biblical god is concerned.
Oddly enough, Floo, people can prove the existence of God, but only by means that do not use naturalistic methods, suggesting that naturalistic methods of proof aren't the sole form of proof.
Are your, or your friends'/relatives', garages, lofts or sheds full of unused DIY gear, sewing/knitting machines or fabric and haberdashery stuff?

Lists of what is needed and a search engine to find your nearest collector (scroll to bottom for latter) are here:  http://www.twam.uk/donate-tools

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2016, 04:55:01 PM »
Oddly enough, Floo, people can prove the existence of God, but only by means that do not use naturalistic methods, suggesting that naturalistic methods of proof aren't the sole form of proof.
what are these methods?

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2016, 04:58:01 PM »
what are these methods?
Experience and observation, to name but 2.
Are your, or your friends'/relatives', garages, lofts or sheds full of unused DIY gear, sewing/knitting machines or fabric and haberdashery stuff?

Lists of what is needed and a search engine to find your nearest collector (scroll to bottom for latter) are here:  http://www.twam.uk/donate-tools

ippy

« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2016, 04:58:09 PM »
God's existen

I'm not an unbeliever Floo, I've never seen any sensible reason given nor any viable evidence that could support such an unlikely thing as a god or even think that there's any such thing as a god or gods, so why take up or be bothered by all of that nonsense? 

ippy

wigginhall

« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2016, 05:00:59 PM »

My local shaman says that those guide her in her views about sacred animals.   She will be pleased when I tell her that Christians validate her views.
They were the footprints of a gigantic hound!

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2016, 05:03:22 PM »
They are naturalistic

floo

« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2016, 05:18:19 PM »

Of course they are the sole form of realistic proof, mere belief is NOT evidence

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2016, 05:19:50 PM »

Then, since your claim is so precise, you'll have no trouble setting out these methods for us all to review: if they are sufficient to 'prove' God then surely it is your responsibility to enlighten us.

SwordOfTheSpirit

« Reply #38 on: December 02, 2016, 05:20:49 PM »
Quote from: Brownie
Quote from: Nearly Sane
in what way do you justify this as fact?
No-one's trying to justify anything as fact Nearly Sane. By Floo mentioning the biblical god, so the detail in the Bible can be used.

But your question was this:
As I have asked many times, if the Biblical god exist why does it play silly beggars and not make its existence clear to all in a way which no one can deny?
So I was just using a biblical situation where no belief was necessary for the biblical God, to see if that would be a situation you would prefer, were it to be the case (i.e. a hypothetical one). If such a situation did exist, no belief would be necessary.

floo

« Reply #39 on: December 02, 2016, 05:26:32 PM »
#28No-one's trying to justify anything as fact Nearly Sane. By Floo mentioning the biblical god, so the detail in the Bible can be used.
But your question was this:So I was just using a biblical situation where no belief was necessary for the biblical God, to see if that would be a situation you would prefer, were it to be the case (i.e. a hypothetical one). If such a situation did exist, no belief would be necessary.

Belief shouldn't be necessary!

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: December 02, 2016, 05:34:05 PM »

These are both naturalistic.

SwordOfTheSpirit

« Reply #41 on: December 02, 2016, 05:34:20 PM »
Belief shouldn't be necessary!
Would you prefer then a situation where you had no choice and just had to do whatever you were told (e.g. the Israelites from Exodus onwards, where God ruled over them until He allowed them to have a king; again speaking from the biblical perspective about the biblical God)

wigginhall

« Reply #42 on: December 02, 2016, 05:44:14 PM »
But I don't have any choice in my beliefs.   I don't control them. 
They were the footprints of a gigantic hound!

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: December 02, 2016, 05:50:40 PM »
Would you prefer then a situation where you had no choice and just had to do whatever you were told (e.g. the Israelites from Exodus onwards, where God ruled over them until He allowed them to have a king; again speaking from the biblical perspective about the biblical God)

You can't choose what you believe: for example, try choosing to believe that Swindon is a suburb of Lisbon.

In addition, you seem to be referring to compliance.

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
« Reply #44 on: December 02, 2016, 10:27:27 PM »
You can't choose what you believe: for example, try choosing to believe that Swindon is a suburb of Lisbon.

In addition, you seem to be referring to compliance.
I'd disagree, Gordon.  Your example of Swindon and Lisbon is a very different animal to deciding what is right and what is wrong; what is good for society and what isn't.  The very fact that you drop to the quality of example as you do here suggests a weakness in your argument.  A better example along your line of argument would be 'is Baruca a suburb of Lisbon?'

trippymonkey

« Reply #45 on: December 02, 2016, 10:32:13 PM »
Surely that's the very nature of BELIEF in that one can't prove it as it's a belief & not a fact.
So I COULD believe that Swindon is a suburb of Lisbon if I so wish.

Nick

Ricky Spanish

« Reply #46 on: December 02, 2016, 10:33:44 PM »
For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders. And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.

Or.... as the Septuagint says:

Isaiah.9:5 [i.e.9:6] ὅτι παιδίον ἐγεννήθη ἡμῖν υἱὸς καὶ ἐδόθη ἡμῖν οὗ ἡ ἀρχὴ ἐγενήθη ἐπὶ τοῦ ὤμου αὐτοῦ καὶ καλεῖται τὸ ὄνομα αὐτοῦ μεγάλης βουλῆς ἄγγελος ἐγὼ γὰρ ἄξω εἰρήνην ἐπὶ τοὺς ἄρχοντας εἰρήνην καὶ ὑγίειαν αὐτῷ

Which is traditionally translated as: "Because a child was born for us, a son also given to us, whose sovereignty was upon his shoulder; and he shall be named Messenger of Great Counsel, for I will bring peace upon the rulers, peace and health to him."
UNDERSTAND - I MAKE OPINIONS. IF YOUR ARGUMENTS MAKE ME QUESTION MY OPINION THEN I WILL CONSIDER THEM.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #47 on: December 02, 2016, 10:34:57 PM »
I'd disagree, Gordon.  Your example of Swindon and Lisbon is a very different animal to deciding what is right and what is wrong; what is good for society and what isn't.  The very fact that you drop to the quality of example as you do here suggests a weakness in your argument.  A better example along your line of argument would be 'is Baruca a suburb of Lisbon?'
What does the 'drop to the quality of example' mean? Why is an example some drop in quality?

BTW want to address the issue that experience and observation are naturalistic?

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #48 on: December 02, 2016, 11:00:49 PM »
I'd disagree, Gordon.  Your example of Swindon and Lisbon is a very different animal to deciding what is right and what is wrong; what is good for society and what isn't.

As usual you miss the point. The example was simply to point out the difficulty of believing something you know to be factually incorrect. That you extrapolate from this factual example to 'right' and 'wrong' is, of course, utterly ridiculous and seriously muddled thinking on your part.

The very fact that you drop to the quality of example as you do here suggests a weakness in your argument.

Further evidence that you struggle to read for comprehension - the example I used was factual and was chosen to illustrate a particular point so your notion that this a 'drop to the quality' (whatever this means) is just your muddled thinking once again in seemingly conflating facts with subjective opinions.

A better example along your line of argument would be 'is Baruca a suburb of Lisbon?'

Don't be silly!

NicholasMarks

« Reply #49 on: December 02, 2016, 11:05:09 PM »

Believing in Jesus Christ means believing in a God who is loving and caring towards those who follow his loving, caring laws towards our Deity and towards our neighbours.

Anyone who is watching world events must realise that their are people who live among us who have the appearance of being nice...even God fearing...but are in fact wolves in sheep clothing. These are the war-mongers who are seeking the downfall of everyone but their own  kind.

The only positive laws that conflict with these evil doers and expose them are the righteous laws of Jesus...and the only person doing anything positive about these evil beings is Almighty God, through his son Jesus Christ...and the only hope we've got for beating these oppressors who support mass slaughter, mass starvation, and mass destruction is by following Jesus accurately and in doing so showing evil everyone isn't fooled and especially Almighty God and Jesus Christ are not fooled and who offer us all an escape route from the impending danger that will have the last say in these matters.

Sinners who refuse to repent will see this God as a despicable God, full of nastiness and sin but those who have suffered oppression, over many years, will see him as their saviour...and their sins will be considered less sinful.

« Last Edit: December 02, 2016, 11:11:06 PM by NicholasMarks »