Author Topic: Jesus saith unto them, My meat is to do the will of him that sent me.  (Read 2586 times)

Sassy

King James Bible
Jesus saith unto them, My meat is to do the will of him that sent me, and to finish his work.

Christ came to finish the work God started. Sometimes whether a believer or not we miss out on the constructive teachings for a persons life which Christ gave us.

For I came down from heaven, not to do mine own will, but the will of him that sent me.

Two wills, two separate people, God and the Son of God. Christ came down from heaven so existed before the world began and he came from heaven to do the will of God who sent him.

John 17:3 (KJV)

3 And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent.

Jesus said:-
My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me:  We follow Christ not manmade beliefs.

Who do you follow?
We know we have to work together to abolish war and terrorism to create a compassionate  world in which Justice and peace prevail. Love ;D   Einstein
 "Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

floo

Re: Jesus saith unto them, My meat is to do the will of him that sent me.
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2016, 02:43:46 PM »
Me! ;D ;D ;D

Brownie

• Faith evolves
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2016, 05:00:23 PM »
Sass sets out, quite clearly, Biblical evidence for Jesus being the son of God, but not God;  previously, Anchorman set out, quite clearly, Biblical evidence for Jesus being God.

For those who think it is relevant,  both are reasonable arguments.

I believe Jesus is God, as is the Holy Spirit, together with God the Father, three persons in one God.  I will admit that I like it, am comfortable with it.

However, if I'm wrong, and God knows I have thought about this, it will be only one issue amongst many that I've got wrong.   Like most people.   He knows me and isn't going to condemn me for human error.

Same goes for those who believe Jesus is the son of, but not, God.

We do not have a petty God;  when we make relatively minor mistakes, we usually have some sort of punishment in the here and now.  He won't punish us twice!

Just my opinions.
Let us profit by what every day and hour teaches us

Anchorman

• Maranatha!
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2016, 06:23:57 PM »
"Jesus saith...." To quote Christian writer Adrian Plass; "Not with these teeth, he doesn't...."
"for, as long as but a hundred of us remain alive, never will we on any conditions be brought under English rule. It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Brownie

• Faith evolves
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2016, 08:56:35 PM »
 ;D
When I feel down, there is always Adrian Plass.  Thank God for him!

Anchorman

• Maranatha!
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2016, 09:52:41 PM »
;D
When I feel down, there is always Adrian Plass.  Thank God for him!

Leaonard Thynn for president!
"for, as long as but a hundred of us remain alive, never will we on any conditions be brought under English rule. It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Dicky Underpants

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2016, 05:00:26 PM »
Sass sets out, quite clearly, Biblical evidence for Jesus being the son of God, but not God;  previously, Anchorman set out, quite clearly, Biblical evidence for Jesus being God.

For those who think it is relevant,  both are reasonable arguments.

Exactly, you can infer both doctrines - and a few others  - from scripture. The Arians throughout the ages have not all been fools - certainly not Arius himself, even if he did have an unfortunate 'end' (pun intended).

We do not have a petty God;  when we make relatively minor mistakes, we usually have some sort of punishment in the here and now.  He won't punish us twice!

Just my opinions.

Let us hope not. Part of the problem lies in the excessively anally-retentive attitude of Christendom, obsessed with getting the right belief formulated, as if saying and accepting the right words counted for jack-shit (except of course, historically, if you wouldn't accede to a certain intellectual formulation of belief, you were likely to come to a sticky end)
Jews generally have been more concerned with doing rather than intellectual formulations of belief. I quite like this attitude, even if some of the more ludicrous sects of Judaism get up to doing some completely farcical things, like having sex through a hole in a blanket (don't know which particular division of Judaism insists on this peculiar practice. Hasidic Judaism?)
"Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous.”

Le Bon David

Brownie

• Faith evolves
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2016, 06:24:14 PM »
The hole in the blanket thing is an urban myth, Dicky.  Honestly.  It's something that is always said to strict Orthodox Jews and they fall about l it.aughing and refute.  David Baddiel has made jokes about it.

Urban myths usually contain an element of truth so I daresay there was one Jew, or maybe one extended Hassidic or similar family, who did do it that way in years gone by.  Who knows? Might even be rather fun, thinking about it.........quite novel anyway.

You said:  Jews generally have been more concerned with doing rather than intellectual formulations of belief. I quite like this attitude,

Me too but they do spend hours and hours studying and arguing fine points for all that.
Two Jews, three opinions.

Sassy

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2016, 09:10:12 AM »
Exactly, you can infer both doctrines - and a few others  - from scripture. The Arians throughout the ages have not all been fools - certainly not Arius himself, even if he did have an unfortunate 'end' (pun intended).

Let us hope not. Part of the problem lies in the excessively anally-retentive attitude of Christendom, obsessed with getting the right belief formulated, as if saying and accepting the right words counted for jack-shit (except of course, historically, if you wouldn't accede to a certain intellectual formulation of belief, you were likely to come to a sticky end)
Jews generally have been more concerned with doing rather than intellectual formulations of belief. I quite like this attitude, even if some of the more ludicrous sects of Judaism get up to doing some completely farcical things, like having sex through a hole in a blanket (don't know which particular division of Judaism insists on this peculiar practice. Hasidic Judaism?)

I believe some mormons do the same thing.

But Christianity like the original Jewish Covenant relied on the Messiah to bring Gods final truth.
So the Sadducee and Pharisee held conflicting beliefs, this was allowed because of Christ bringing the truth.
The woman by the well in John chapter 4 a Samaritan says to Christ:-

25 The woman saith unto him, I know that Messias cometh, which is called Christ: when he is come, he will tell us all things.

26 Jesus saith unto her, I that speak unto thee am he.

All Jews regardless of their sect believed that Christ would tell them all things.
We see the Pharisee was right that there is resurrections, angels and that is just the beginning.

So the reality is knowing the truth and the truth setting you free.
Nowhere do the Disciples, God or Jesus declare Christ to be God but the chosen one of God.
Nowhere does the OT state God will come in flesh. But Jesus Christ came down from heaven at the will of the Father the Only true God.

But in our hearts and minds, it is our lives which must change individually.
God loves us and we have to have faith to trust him.
We know we have to work together to abolish war and terrorism to create a compassionate  world in which Justice and peace prevail. Love ;D   Einstein

Ricky Spanish

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2016, 08:53:08 PM »
Are you a Jew Sass?

Or are you a Johannite????
UNDERSTAND - I MAKE OPINIONS. IF YOUR ARGUMENTS MAKE ME QUESTION MY OPINION THEN I WILL CONSIDER THEM.

Sassy

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2016, 07:40:35 PM »
Are you a Jew Sass?

Or are you a Johannite????

Right! Like you had to ask... ::) :o

I believe in Jesus Christ that he is the Son of God.What does that tell you?