Author Topic: Objectivity & Subjectivity  (Read 6286 times)

Walter

Re: Objectivity & Subjectivity
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2016, 03:29:47 PM »
Just out of interest,  was it A Matter of Life and Death?
NS
 ive just read the plot of that film and found myself in floods of tears.
So much for a hard hearted old curmudgeon eh!

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2016, 03:36:01 PM »
NS
 ive just read the plot of that film and found myself in floods of tears.
So much for a hard hearted old curmudgeon eh!
It's one of my favourites

Walter

« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2016, 03:41:34 PM »
It's one of my favourites
I haven't seen it since about 1976 . I might buy myself a xmas present.

Enki

« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2016, 03:47:23 PM »
Walter,

I wasn't impressed with that so kept looking for a logical answer and I found it with a prof. Susan Greenwood (I might have her sir name wrong)

It could be you actually mean Dr. Susan Blackmore, who started out as a psychic believer, but as a result of her research and experiences became a skeptic.
Sometimes I wish my first word was 'quote,' so that on my death bed, my last words could be 'end quote.'
Steven Wright

Walter

« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2016, 03:59:08 PM »
Walter,

It could be you actually mean Dr. Susan Blackmore, who started out as a psychic believer, but as a result of her research and experiences became a skeptic.
nope, she's a proper medical prof not some nucking futter. no offence

wigginhall

« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2016, 04:01:53 PM »
It could be Susan Greenfield, who was a neurologist, I think.   Yes, Blackmore is quite well known in this field, as she originally went along with various psychic stuff, but then became very skeptical.    She is quite well known in Zen also, and is an atheist.
They were the footprints of a gigantic hound!

Walter

« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2016, 04:03:14 PM »
its actually susan greenfield , now baroness Greenfield  a scientist

Walter

« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2016, 04:06:27 PM »
It could be Susan Greenfield, who was a neurologist, I think.   Yes, Blackmore is quite well known in this field, as she originally went along with various psychic stuff, but then became very skeptical.    She is quite well known in Zen also, and is an atheist.
Zen , did he ever get his motorcycle fixed?

Enki

« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2016, 04:11:01 PM »
nope, she's a proper medical prof not some nucking futter. no offence

No offence taken. :)  It was just a suggestion, as Susan Blackmore's explanations seemed to fit what you said next.
Sometimes I wish my first word was 'quote,' so that on my death bed, my last words could be 'end quote.'
Steven Wright

Walter

« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2016, 04:16:24 PM »
No offence taken. :)  It was just a suggestion, as Susan Blackmore's explanations seemed to fit what you said next.
even nutters speak the truth sometimes. ill search her out and see what she says .

cheers nike

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2016, 04:19:37 PM »
even nutters speak the truth sometimes. ill search her out and see what she says .

cheers nike

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Susan_Blackmore

wigginhall

« Reply #36 on: December 05, 2016, 04:20:23 PM »
Some interesting gossip where Blackmore criticizes Greenfield for being a lightweight.   I have heard plenty of people say the same, maybe just being bitchy, or hate Labour, dunno.  Greenfield had a big thing about the internet damaging young people's brains, but she was criticized as never having done research into it. 

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2010/jan/12/susan-blackmore-royal-institution-science

My memory is that Blackmore is well respected for her stuff debunking parapsychology.   However, I am not up to speed on this stuff now, maybe others here are?

http://www.susanblackmore.co.uk/Articles/si87.html

Forgot to mention her well-known book. 'Zen and the Art of Consciousness',  very nicely written.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2016, 04:33:35 PM by wigginhall »

Walter

« Reply #37 on: December 05, 2016, 04:32:22 PM »

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Susan_Blackmore
there's your answer . Greenfield is a scientist,  Blackmore is a psychologist of sorts

Walter

« Reply #38 on: December 05, 2016, 04:51:07 PM »
Wiggs
re that last link
I stopped reading after a few sentences because it became obvious to me that she is trying to imply her faculty has some kind of equivalence to science . She is sadly mistaken.

quick, we have a programming situation here, we must re- set the parameters now, or we have wasted 15 years of work to set this probe on Mars. 
don't worry everyone , panic over  I've brought my friend with me today and she is a psychologist. if she cant  help with the physics  she is quite prepared to talk to anyone who feels upset.

oops

wigginhall

« Reply #39 on: December 05, 2016, 05:01:11 PM »
Wiggs
re that last link
I stopped reading after a few sentences because it became obvious to me that she is trying to imply her faculty has some kind of equivalence to science . She is sadly mistaken.

quick, we have a programming situation here, we must re- set the parameters now, or we have wasted 15 years of work to set this probe on Mars. 
don't worry everyone , panic over  I've brought my friend with me today and she is a psychologist. if she cant  help with the physics  she is quite prepared to talk to anyone who feels upset.

oops

Sorry, couldn't follow a word of that.   Blackmore is well known for debunking many claims in parapsychology, after initially being enthusiastic about it. 

Walter

« Reply #40 on: December 05, 2016, 05:15:52 PM »
Sorry, couldn't follow a word of that.   Blackmore is well known for debunking many claims in parapsychology, after initially being enthusiastic about it.
me neither
the meds kick in and out
seriously I use this forum while I wait for the next intervention , which I look forward to ,from our beloved NHS

Walter

« Reply #41 on: December 05, 2016, 05:33:49 PM »
only if you're interested
I am now experiencing the aftermath of being 'saved' . Sometimes I look at it like this . and sometimes...... I don't look

all the best

Sebastian Toe

« Reply #42 on: December 05, 2016, 05:52:53 PM »

The experience of a complete NDE (being medically dead)

Would that not be a DE though?
"The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends.'
Albert Einstein