Author Topic: Catholic priests and celibacy  (Read 5246 times)

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
Re: Catholic priests and celibacy
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2016, 04:02:38 PM »
Seem to remember 2 or 3 such threads over the last 5 years, Floo.  Unfortunately the 'search' facility only goes back as far as the latest cleansing process.
Are your, or your friends'/relatives', garages, lofts or sheds full of unused DIY gear, sewing/knitting machines or fabric and haberdashery stuff?

Lists of what is needed and a search engine to find your nearest collector (scroll to bottom for latter) are here:  http://www.twam.uk/donate-tools

Brownie

• Faith evolves
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2016, 04:07:07 PM »
I don't know, I think so but it could just be that you have said what you've said now, many times before.  I certainly remember you doing that and I, in turn, replied in much the same way as I have today.
Indeed, when I was looking at a quite old thread 'over the road' recently, for info, I saw that the posters, including myself, said much the same as we had said more recently.   

So we go round in circles.  As someone once said, "There is nothing new under the sun".

Floo, no-one is forced to become a priest.  Having pressure, from parents or parish or school, is not forcing though (I believe it is wrong).   I said all of that in my previous post!
Let us profit by what every day and hour teaches us

floo

« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2016, 05:19:37 PM »
Seem to remember 2 or 3 such threads over the last 5 years, Floo.  Unfortunately the 'search' facility only goes back as far as the latest cleansing process.

Well I have no recollection of them, but of course I am going senile, according to my kids! ;D

floo

« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2016, 05:25:58 PM »
I don't know, I think so but it could just be that you have said what you've said now, many times before.  I certainly remember you doing that and I, in turn, replied in much the same way as I have today.
Indeed, when I was looking at a quite old thread 'over the road' recently, for info, I saw that the posters, including myself, said much the same as we had said more recently.   

So we go round in circles.  As someone once said, "There is nothing new under the sun".

Floo, no-one is forced to become a priest.  Having pressure, from parents or parish or school, is not forcing though (I believe it is wrong).   I said all of that in my previous post!

You said it, but I know in the past some young men were pressurised into it.

Brownie

• Faith evolves
« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2016, 08:32:31 PM »
Oh yes and I have met some but pressurised is not the same as forced.  For one thing, it would be illegal to force!  Coercion is another matter and I think that was very wrong but we can't rewrite the past.
The Church doesn't have the same hold over the people in Ireland any more which makes for a healthier society.

Harrowby Hall

« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2016, 09:56:35 PM »
Under what circumstance in Catholic law is it permissible for a person to have sex?

Do you mean canon law? As I said in my first post, sex outside marriage is sinful either, depending marital status, adultery or fornication. This applies to anyone, lay or ordained. A priest would be committing a mortal sin

A Catholic ban on priests getting married is an effective ban on them having sex.

Do you really imagine that marriage is the only situation that enables sexual intercourse?
Does Magna Carta mean nothing to you? Did she die in vain?

Humph Warden Bennett

« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2016, 10:20:30 PM »
You've done this subject several times before, Floo.  I suspect you'll get the same answers here as before.

Just to vary things a bit.

Two of my secondary school teachers were arrested, charged,and later convicted, of sexual offences involving those under the age of consent. One was a music teacher, the other an RE teacher. The first was a Baptist, the second , an Anglican.

It aint just a Catholic thing.

Brownie

• Faith evolves
« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2016, 11:10:25 PM »
You're right, it isn't.  Neither is it confined to people of any religion, we all know that, there's enough of it on the news.

I didn't realise celibacy only meant not being married.  I looked it up to be sure and found this definition, (actually for "celibate" rather than celibacy):

celibate

(adjective)

abstaining from marriage and sexual relations, typically for religious reasons.

Harrowby Hall

« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2016, 06:56:01 AM »
Yes, Brownie. That is the common usage in England today. But since we are discussing behaviour within the RCC, we are - to some extent - constrained by what the RCC considers celibacy to be.

It is interesting to note, for example, that in France celibataire means single, and is a term which appears on official forms.
Does Magna Carta mean nothing to you? Did she die in vain?

Humph Warden Bennett

« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2016, 11:24:51 AM »
Yes, Brownie. That is the common usage in England today. But since we are discussing behaviour within the RCC, we are - to some extent - constrained by what the RCC considers celibacy to be.

It is interesting to note, for example, that in France celibataire means single, and is a term which appears on official forms.

The RCC (and those in communion with the same) consider that the priest represents Jesus, and they consider that Jesus was celibate. The Orthodox have different rules.

floo

« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2016, 11:31:20 AM »
The RCC (and those in communion with the same) consider that the priest represents Jesus, and they consider that Jesus was celibate. The Orthodox have different rules.

The private life of Jesus is not mentioned in the Bible, there is no reference to whether he was married or not. A male of his age would normally have been married, so maybe that was no big deal. I hope he had a consensual adult sex life.