Author Topic: Christian 'Mythology'.  (Read 41998 times)

Stranger

• Lightly seared on the reality grill.
Re: Christian 'Mythology'.
« Reply #400 on: February 05, 2017, 03:45:28 PM »
If matter is a manifestation of information then it IS information...

;D ;D ::)

http://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/manifestation

No, don't stop! This is hilarious...
x(∅ ∈ x ∧ ∀y(yxy ∪ {y} ∈ x))

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #401 on: February 05, 2017, 03:45:50 PM »
Vlad,

None of which has anything whatever to do with the question you actually asked - which concerned whether matter and forces were manifestations of or contingent on information.

Stop digging.
Answer this....is information the foundation of reality? is matter the same as information?

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #402 on: February 05, 2017, 03:47:38 PM »
Some,

;D ;D ::)

http://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/manifestation

No, don't stop! This is hilarious...

Sadly our Vlad has a long and ignoble history of just re-defining words to suit his purpose.
"Don't make me come down there."

God

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #403 on: February 05, 2017, 03:49:05 PM »
Vlad,

Answer this....is information the foundation of reality?

So it appears, yes.

...is matter the same as information?

No - it's a manifestation of it.

It's also contingent on it.

God

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #404 on: February 05, 2017, 03:53:07 PM »
Vlad,

So it appears, yes.

No - it's a manifestation of it.

It's also contingent on it.
Well now I know which definition of manifestion you are using.
Doesn't help the materialist case though does it.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #405 on: February 05, 2017, 03:56:50 PM »
Some,

Sadly our Vlad has a long and ignoble history of just re-defining words to suit his purpose.
Sadly Hillside has such a history for ignoring all dictionary definitions and encyclopedic ones that don't suit his case eg philosophical materialism, supernatural etc.

Stranger

• Lightly seared on the reality grill.
« Reply #406 on: February 05, 2017, 03:59:48 PM »

;D ;D ;D

Where did you find the 'definition' that you were using? In what dictionary does "manifestation of" mean "is"?

Is there a Vladictionary somewhere?
x(∅ ∈ x ∧ ∀y(yxy ∪ {y} ∈ x))

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #407 on: February 05, 2017, 04:00:08 PM »
Vlad,

Yes, the correct one. A house is a "manifestation" of cement, bricks etc. It's not though the "same as" cement, bricks etc. Hope that clears it up for you.

Apology accepted.

Oh, hang on though - you didn't bother with one did you.

Ah well. 

Doesn't help the materialist case though does it.

And once again brave Sir Vlad just moves on as if he hadn't just crashed and burned.

It's got nothing to do with materialism, at least not unless you want to essay your personal re-definition of it again?

God

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #408 on: February 05, 2017, 04:01:00 PM »
;D ;D ;D

Where did you find the 'definition' that you were using? In what dictionary does "manifestation of" mean "is"?

Your link didn't work.

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #409 on: February 05, 2017, 04:01:19 PM »
Vlad,

Sadly Hillside has such a history for ignoring all dictionary definitions and encyclopedic ones that don't suit his case eg philosophical materialism, supernatural etc.

Why do you think lying like this helps you?

God

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #410 on: February 05, 2017, 04:04:24 PM »
Some,

I did pitch the idea of a Vladdish:Englsh/English:Vladdish dictionary to the Oxford University Press a while back but they said it would take too many volumes to fit most shelves  ;)

Shame really - think of the royalties!

God

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #411 on: February 05, 2017, 04:05:23 PM »
;D ;D ;D

The Oxford where it means ''a version of something''.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #412 on: February 05, 2017, 04:06:29 PM »
Some,

I did pitch the idea of a Vladdish:Englsh/English:Vladdish dictionary to the Oxford University Press a while back but they said it would take too many volumes to fit most shelves  ;)

Did you really or did you just make that up?

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #413 on: February 05, 2017, 04:08:17 PM »
Vlad,

The Oxford where it means ''a version of something''.

He quote mined, and failed to spot that "a version" isn't "same as" in any case.

Is a house "a version of" cement an bricks would you say?

On second thoughts, don't bother.

God

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #414 on: February 05, 2017, 04:11:50 PM »
Vlad,

Yes, the correct one. A house is a "manifestation" of cement, bricks etc. It's not though the "same as" cement, bricks etc. Hope that clears it up for you.

Trouble is though Hillside....a house IS cement, bricks etc.

« Last Edit: February 05, 2017, 04:13:54 PM by Emergence-The musical »

Rosindubh

« Reply #415 on: February 05, 2017, 07:11:41 PM »
But they, the maths, are not literally out there though are they, as objective concepts. Only the forces, and the like, and the way they interact, and so on, are. We impose these concepts on to them with our minds but those concepts are only in our minds as ways to relate to what we 'see' for our own understanding. Therefore, maths is contingent on the behaviour and patterns of the universe and how we 'see' things.

Hi Jack Knave,
Thank you for the above.   Sorry for delay in responding.

The question is not whether we "impose" mathematical concepts onto the physical Universe with our minds.    That happens from time to time when people try to force a concept to fit a particular situation where it does not fit.   Fortunately, peer review protects against this.

So, the question is whether mathematical concepts are solely imaginary (with no more power than Harry Potter's wand); or whether they are true independently of the human mind, with a propensity to interact with the physical Universe.   Successes of modern science indicate the latter.

If mathematical concepts were solely imaginary, then they would be the product of random processes in our contingent brains, with no purpose but amusement, and no more relevance to reality than Harry Potter's wand.   If just imaginary and random, it would be difficult to "impose" them on the physical Universe in a coherent way.

Numbers, squares of numbers, square roots, right angles, triangles, second derivatives etc are not visible in the natural world.   For thousands of years, maths developed these concepts, aware of their usefulness for man-made things, but unaware of a relevance to the physical Universe.

However, in about AD 1590, Galileo dropped some stones frim the Tower of Pisa, and from then until AD 1905, he, Newton, Maxwell etc made objective measurement, followed by mathematical equations the critical factor in science - i.e. the certainty of science depended upon the certainity of its mathimatical concepts.   How could that be if maths was just an imaginary product imposed by contingent brain?

To be coherent, science needs its maths to be as objective (independent of human mind) as the objectivity of its physical elements (e.g. moons around Saturn).

However, from AD 1905, the sequence of physics was turned on its head.  Instead of experiment followed by maths, the more fruitful sequence became abstract maths followed by empirical experiment.  Mathematical reasoning enabled forecasts of previously unsuspected phenomena to an extraordinary extent.  I gave four examples in my previous post.  I can give more examples if you wish.

One could "impose" equations upon a few things which are already known (if you can get around modern peer review and incoherence), but impossible to make your maths forecast new phenomena such as black holes, gravitational waves, Higgs field etc of modern physics unless the mathematical concepts are as objective as the phenomena they forecast.

So, if we accept the reality of the forecasts of modern physics, then we are forced to accept the reality of the abstract concepts used to make the forecasts.  In modern physics, the Universe is contingent upon the maths.
God bless

ippy

« Reply #416 on: February 05, 2017, 08:18:33 PM »

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #417 on: February 05, 2017, 08:26:31 PM »
Vlad,

Trouble is though Hillside....a house IS cement, bricks etc.

Then good luck living in it. Your claim you remember was that one was "the same as" the other.

A house is no more "the same as" bricks and mortar than matter and forces are the same as the information from which they derive.

Epic, epic fail. Again.

God

Jack Knave

« Reply #418 on: February 05, 2017, 09:32:59 PM »
I don't see why maths would be contingent on matter.  Maths is abstract.

As for God being contingent, well to start with God is largely undefined, so you have a problem of definition to start with.  But if we run with a popular view that god is some sort of being but then go on to observe that 'god could not lift a rock that was too heavy for him to lift' then with this observation we are demonstrating that god is in fact contingent upon logic; an origin of all things would be contingent upon nothing.
That's just playing with words. That's more an issue of the flexibility of the rules of language than a statement about reality.

Jack Knave

« Reply #419 on: February 05, 2017, 09:41:11 PM »
Does logic therefore give rise to matter/energy......or is it contingent on it?
Everything is contingent on what 'IS'.

Jack Knave

« Reply #420 on: February 05, 2017, 09:47:07 PM »

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #421 on: February 05, 2017, 09:57:51 PM »
What does ROFL mean?
Roll On the Floor Laughing
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

Jack Knave

« Reply #422 on: February 05, 2017, 10:21:18 PM »
Vlad,

Then good luck living in it. Your claim you remember was that one was "the same as" the other.

A house is no more "the same as" bricks and mortar than matter and forces are the same as the information from which they derive.

Epic, epic fail. Again.
So for Vlad a pile if bricks and mortar etc. would constitute a house. I think the house is contingent on a design and a will to create it...... ;D

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #423 on: February 05, 2017, 10:25:15 PM »

Numbers, squares of numbers, square roots, right angles, triangles, second derivatives etc are not visible in the natural world.   For thousands of years, maths developed these concepts, aware of their usefulness for man-made things, but unaware of a relevance to the physical Universe.
Nope. There are many examples of people trying to use mathematics to describe the World that predate Galileo. One need only review Eratosthenes' attempt to measure the size of the Earth or Archimedes principle or the Ptolemaic model of the Universe to see examples of people applying maths to describe the World.

However, in about AD 1590, Galileo dropped some stones frim the Tower of Pisa
He didn't actually. Galileo did all his experiments in the lab by rolling balls to inclines.

and from then until AD 1905, he, Newton, Maxwell etc made objective measurement, followed by mathematical equations the critical factor in science - i.e. the certainty of science depended upon the certainity of its mathimatical concepts.   How could that be if maths was just an imaginary product imposed by contingent brain?
I think you have it a bit wrong. We use mathematics to build models of the Universe and then we test them against reality. It's not compulsory for the World to obey the laws we make just because those laws use elegant maths.

However, from AD 1905, the sequence of physics was turned on its head.  Instead of experiment followed by maths, the more fruitful sequence became abstract maths followed by empirical experiment.  Mathematical reasoning enabled forecasts of previously unsuspected phenomena to an extraordinary extent.  I gave four examples in my previous post.  I can give more examples if you wish.
I see no reason to believe anything in the scientific method really changed in 1905.  Watch this clip. It's the best and only description of the scientific method you'll ever need and it's 62 seconds long.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OL6-x0modwY

It hasn't changed in hundreds of years.

This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

Sebastian Toe

« Reply #424 on: February 06, 2017, 03:22:14 AM »
What does ROFL mean?
Roof on, foundations laid.
He was talking about building houses wasn't he?  :-\
"The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends.'
Albert Einstein