Author Topic: Evolution to blame for joint pain  (Read 8562 times)

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
Evolution to blame for joint pain
« on: December 27, 2016, 12:26:56 PM »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-38251031

Evolution, vastly overrated  ;)
Are your, or your friends'/relatives', garages, lofts or sheds full of unused DIY gear, sewing/knitting machines or fabric and haberdashery stuff?

Lists of what is needed and a search engine to find your nearest collector (scroll to bottom for latter) are here:  http://www.twam.uk/donate-tools

Shaker

Re: Evolution to blame for joint pain
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2016, 12:31:33 PM »
We wouldn't be here without it. But still; if you think existence is overrated ...
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2016, 12:50:13 PM »
We wouldn't be here without it. But still; if you think existence is overrated ...
If evolution results in discomfort and inefficiency, doesn't that suggest that it hasn't been successful?   ;)
Are your, or your friends'/relatives', garages, lofts or sheds full of unused DIY gear, sewing/knitting machines or fabric and haberdashery stuff?

Lists of what is needed and a search engine to find your nearest collector (scroll to bottom for latter) are here:  http://www.twam.uk/donate-tools

Shaker

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2016, 12:53:19 PM »
If evolution results in discomfort and inefficiency, doesn't that suggest that it hasn't been successful?   ;)
No.

A blind and at least partly random biochemical process can't have goals or aims and can't plan so there's no such thing as success or failure except in the human sphere, extrapolated from our valuing existence as a success and nonexistence as a failure. EbNS either creates organisms which survive long enough to reproduce (and thereby pass on genes to a next, new generation) or not. If EbNS can achieve the former even with discomfort, it's done its "job" and we call it "successful" (scare quotes entirely deliberate).

The inefficiency to which you refer is due to EbNS being a process that works by cobbling together whatever is at hand. Now, of course, a magical spirit of unlimited power, complete knowledge and perfect goodness could and furthermore would indeed create organisms without discomfort and inefficiency ... but obviously we don't see that, do we?  ;)
« Last Edit: December 27, 2016, 01:12:24 PM by Shaker »
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

Walter

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2016, 01:49:37 PM »
it could be explained to you a million times but you will never understand , will you !
but if people on here can be bothered to go through it all again well that's up to them , I cant .! ::)

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2016, 02:33:16 PM »
By what criteria are you judging success and failure here?
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2016, 02:49:34 PM »
I do find it amusing that folk here have taken umbrage at an OP that is clearly a light-hearted jibe (see use of emoticon in OP).  Seems to suggest that they feel that their belief-system is under threat!!   :D

Shaker

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2016, 02:55:05 PM »
No, since understanding of the evidence for and acceptance of the reality of evolution isn't a belief system; we're just too used to hearing people spout off about evolution who know nothing of the subject.

Gets old very quickly, that one; not least because the persistent offenders are so lamentably uneducable.

SusanDoris

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2016, 05:52:49 PM »
I heard a mention of that bit about being upright and arthritis this morning, and I also heard a comment which was that exercise and physiotherapy can help to compensate. I'm going to put the next part in bold:

I can give a personal proof that exercises, done consistently and properly, and directed by a good physio, can obviate the need for a replacement hip, even when one has had for years an 'advanced  degenerative condition resulting in complete loss of hip joint space'. Prior to this being triggered again by enforced rest following the accident, I had only occasional, minor difficulty, but now I am, I think, stronger than I was before. Please, please tell anyone you know who wants  to avoid major surgery to follow this plan.
The Most Honourable Sister of Titular Indecision.

Jack Knave

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2016, 05:41:17 PM »
Quite obviously the payoff of standing upright and being bipedal was greater than the subsequent drawbacks. Also, evolution is only concerned with, so to speak, with the next generation. Most of these types of ills usually come when we are past our breeding age or that there are younger and fitter alternatives.

Add to the problems of being bipedal is the relatively more difficulty in giving birth, but so far we have managed; well the women have.

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2016, 06:55:50 PM »
I heard a mention of that bit about being upright and arthritis this morning, and I also heard a comment which was that exercise and physiotherapy can help to compensate. I'm going to put the next part in bold:

I can give a personal proof that exercises, done consistently and properly, and directed by a good physio, can obviate the need for a replacement hip, even when one has had for years an 'advanced  degenerative condition resulting in complete loss of hip joint space'. Prior to this being triggered again by enforced rest following the accident, I had only occasional, minor difficulty, but now I am, I think, stronger than I was before. Please, please tell anyone you know who wants  to avoid major surgery to follow this plan.
Unfortunately, this isn't a foolproof remedy, Susan.  A friend of mine has just had a hip replacement and was relaying the activity he had undertaken overe the previous weeks and months to the surgeon - a 2 mile walk at least once a day every day for many years being one of them; the surgeon was astonished, as the X-ray indicated that the ball of the hip had practically disappeared, and the socket had become so damaged that they had to rebuild it with some form of precious metal before they could reconstruct the hip itself.  In fact, it seems that the walking and other activities my friend had done over the years had possibly accelerated the damage.

Don't get me wrong, I believe that exercise etc. is very important for our health, but I'd be surprised if the 'prescription' you outline is medically valid across the board.

torridon

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2016, 07:39:31 PM »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-38251031

Evolution, vastly overrated  ;)

No pain, no gain, they used to say.  So now we get back pain and arthritis for walking upright.  No such thing as a free lunch I guess.

SusanDoris

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2016, 06:23:49 AM »
Unfortunately, this isn't a foolproof remedy, Susan.  A friend of mine has just had a hip replacement and was relaying the activity he had undertaken overe the previous weeks and months to the surgeon - a 2 mile walk at least once a day every day for many years being one of them; the surgeon was astonished, as the X-ray indicated that the ball of the hip had practically disappeared, and the socket had become so damaged that they had to rebuild it with some form of precious metal before they could reconstruct the hip itself.  In fact, it seems that the walking and other activities my friend had done over the years had possibly accelerated the damage.

Don't get me wrong, I believe that exercise etc. is very important for our health, but I'd be surprised if the 'prescription' you outline is medically valid across the board.
Yes, of course, one remedy does not work for all, but I have also learnt that there are specific exercises, both lying down and standing, which strengthen other muscles other than the ones used for walking. Thank goodness that such good hip operations are available for those who need them. I hope the physio groups are able to promote their message strongly so that younger people will realise the benefits of correct exercises to prevent the problem, but it will be an uphill struggle I think!

I have a reasonably high pain threshold I think, but I had been suffering a lot of pain, but knowing how I loved to keep fit, I was well prepared to give it a very fair try - and am glad I did.

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2016, 02:27:11 PM »
Yes, of course, one remedy does not work for all, but I have also learnt that there are specific exercises, both lying down and standing, which strengthen other muscles other than the ones used for walking. Thank goodness that such good hip operations are available for those who need them. I hope the physio groups are able to promote their message strongly so that younger people will realise the benefits of correct exercises to prevent the problem, but it will be an uphill struggle I think!

I have a reasonably high pain threshold I think, but I had been suffering a lot of pain, but knowing how I loved to keep fit, I was well prepared to give it a very fair try - and am glad I did.
I have to admit to having retained a few details in the example I gave.  This was actaully a replacement hip replacement - 25 years after the original op., and my friend also had a large turnip-shaped tumour that had eaten away a lot of the thigh muscle in the relevant leg.  Thankfully, it was a benign tunmour and the surgeon was confident that he and his team had managed to get it all out in one go.  What was expected to be a 4 hour op. became a 5.5 hour one.

john

« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2016, 03:28:55 PM »
Hope said,

"If evolution results in discomfort and inefficiency, doesn't that suggest that it hasn't been successful?   ;)"

Yeah but what if a benevolent and loving God made us that way for a joke, wouldn't that be worse?

"Try again. Fail again. Fail Better". Samuel Beckett

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2016, 09:32:20 PM »
Hope said,

"If evolution results in discomfort and inefficiency, doesn't that suggest that it hasn't been successful?   ;)"

Yeah but what if a benevolent and loving God made us that way for a joke, wouldn't that be worse?
It could also be that modern humans are trying to do things with their bodies that neither God's creative blueprint - nor evoilution - was ever designed to do.  Let's take high-heeled shoes as an example.  The human foot is designed to walk flat, not at some precipitous angle.  Or what about sitting at a desk?  Our hips and knees aren't designed to be folded/bent at right-angles for the length of time they often are nowadays.

Sebastian Toe

« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2016, 11:23:58 PM »
It could also be that modern humans are trying to do things with their bodies that neither God's creative blueprint - nor evoilution - was ever designed to do.  Let's take high-heeled shoes as an example.  The human foot is designed to walk flat, not at some precipitous angle.  Or what about sitting at a desk?  Our hips and knees aren't designed to be folded/bent at right-angles for the length of time they often are nowadays.
Are you saying that God did not forsee high heel shoes or desks?
"The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends.'
Albert Einstein

SusanDoris

« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2016, 06:08:52 AM »
On the subject of desks and sitting at them, my (older) son was saying yesterday when he came to see me that he uses one of those large exercise balls to sit on at his desk at work and he says that, since doing so, he has had no lower back ache.  He recommends that I buy one for sitting here at the computer! I might just give it a try!

torridon

« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2016, 06:33:44 AM »

This is the point of the piece referenced in the OP.  Humans were not designed to walk upright.  We have adapted from a design optimised for quadrupedal motion, hence chiropractors are on to an earner, many human ills can be traced to this; walking upright frees the hands but our backs were designed for walking on all fours.  So much for 'Intelligent Design'

john

« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2016, 06:45:28 AM »
Hope

How did you know I wear stiletto heels? I suppose you know about the fishnets and suspenders too, well just don't tell anyone else.  :-\
"Try again. Fail again. Fail Better". Samuel Beckett

SusanDoris

« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2016, 07:03:59 AM »
Sitting waiting for a train at Southampton station recently, I noticed, not for the first time,  that all the passengers coming and going, except for one or two, were wearing flat shoes. I do not know any of my contemporaries who wear high heels for general everyday use.

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2016, 10:40:38 AM »
On the subject of desks and sitting at them, my (older) son was saying yesterday when he came to see me that he uses one of those large exercise balls to sit on at his desk at work and he says that, since doing so, he has had no lower back ache.  He recommends that I buy one for sitting here at the computer! I might just give it a try!
I used to have an early version of those 'kneeling' chairs which spread the pressure.  Unfortunately, it broke when I tried to adapt it to match the height of my desk at the time (probably over-reaching its design parameters).  I've never found one that allows me to sit high enough.

Interestingly, I sometimes took a fold-up 'bar stool' into classrooms when I was teaching, as it allowed me to have my legs hanging down rather than bent at the hips.

Harrowby Hall

« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2017, 10:47:13 AM »
Sitting waiting for a train at Southampton station recently, I noticed, not for the first time,  that all the passengers coming and going, except for one or two, were wearing flat shoes. I do not know any of my contemporaries who wear high heels for general everyday use.

It would seem that the main users of high heels these days are otherwise totally unclothed women appearing in movies portraying behaviour of an intimate nature.
Does Magna Carta mean nothing to you? Did she die in vain?

Walter

« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2017, 02:16:10 PM »
It would seem that the main users of high heels these days are otherwise totally unclothed women appearing in movies portraying behaviour of an intimate nature.
phwoar , dya know a good web site?

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2017, 09:04:48 PM »
Sorry, HH, the main folk wearing them are women working in companies - such as the finance and insurance world - who have been told they have to wear them by their bosses, or risk losing their jobs.