Author Topic: Former President Trump  (Read 205161 times)

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
Re: President Trump
« Reply #1050 on: January 20, 2018, 05:30:18 PM »
Littleroses, be careful about how you vent your indignation.

The inability of Congress to agree a budget is an occasional occurrence in USA Federal politics. It last happened just a few years ago - in 2013 when government shut down for (I think) 16 days.

Guess who was president then:  Barack Obama.
It's not that occasional.

The fundamental problem seems to be you need 60 votes in the Senate to pass a budget. For various reasons, that isn't happening at the moment. The Democrats are not passing the budget because it is the only leverage they have to prevent the Republicans from doing various other stupid things.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #1051 on: January 23, 2018, 03:12:26 PM »
Looks like the Dems didn't get much in return for caving. It is though still a temporary hold.

Humph Warden Bennett

« Reply #1052 on: January 26, 2018, 03:22:08 PM »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news

Trump says he will apologise for supporting the British First racist mob, but he knew nothing about them. Surely any sensible person would have found out about them first! :o

The worst part about that IMHO is not Trump yet again making an idiot of himself, but by giving worldwide publicity to a minor bunch of racist thugs. They call themselves "Kent battalion" , I doubt if they have any other "battalions", unless you count a couple of their mates living in Croydon. I have made my opinions of Fuhrer Golding & his unpleasant other half quite plain across various media,and YES I have attended the local rally against them, it is more risky than one would perhaps think since anybody attending the same may well be recognised by Golding's morons at other times and places.

Believe it or not, the face they showed at their "rally" outside Bromley plod station was actually their more attractive one!

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #1053 on: March 08, 2018, 05:21:08 PM »
With any other President the very idea that' US President Donald Trump obtained a restraining order against an adult film actress to prevent her from speaking publicly about their alleged affair, legal documents show' wold I suspect have been news for weeks in the main headlines = but this is part of Trump's 'genius'. Those that hate him just see it as another thing, those who support him as unimportant or fake news.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-43327856

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #1054 on: March 09, 2018, 07:15:26 AM »

And in these interesting times, the extraordinary continues. Earlier in this thread, I wondered if the very oddness of his approach might work in certain circumstances, perhaps it is working here. I expect a tweet saying 'The fake media called me crazy - crazy like a FOX!!!'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-43339901

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #1055 on: March 09, 2018, 08:07:39 AM »
And in a week like this, the idea of a trade war seems just another thing.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-43340203

Rhiannon

« Reply #1056 on: March 09, 2018, 08:38:22 AM »
Smoke and mirrors.

Harrowby Hall

« Reply #1057 on: March 09, 2018, 03:48:24 PM »
Or ... engage in a who has the bigger ... err ... haircut disaster competition.
Does Magna Carta mean nothing to you? Did she die in vain?

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #1058 on: March 11, 2018, 09:30:00 PM »
And in these interesting times, the extraordinary continues. Earlier in this thread, I wondered if the very oddness of his approach might work in certain circumstances, perhaps it is working here. I expect a tweet saying 'The fake media called me crazy - crazy like a FOX!!!'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-43339901
Quite a diplomatic coup for NK
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #1059 on: March 13, 2018, 01:15:52 PM »

Anchorman

• Maranatha!
« Reply #1060 on: March 13, 2018, 01:46:43 PM »

And now Tillerson is sacked!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-43388723

A bigger turnover than KFC.
You couldn't make it up.
Can you imagine an American author submitting a book based on a Trump-like president with a penchant for emptying his administration every five minutes?
No serious publisher would touch it with a box of hair dye.
"for, as long as but a hundred of us remain alive, never will we on any conditions be brought under English rule. It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #1061 on: March 13, 2018, 01:48:23 PM »
Now there's a surprise, Tillerson supported the UK against Russia over this nerve agent crime.
First of all, despite the some circumstantial evidence, it' s not clear that Russia are responsible. The nerve agent was produced for a long time in Uzbekistan - where there has been a lot of U..S involvement. And that too is merely circumstantial.

Secondly, I am not seeing a huge distancing from the rest of the U.S. govt in its support for May's position so not sure what fuel this is for conspiracy theories.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #1062 on: March 13, 2018, 01:55:43 PM »
Quite a diplomatic coup for NK
Possibly but not sure that is important in Trumpworld. If it stood the nuclear programme then he wins, if it doesn't he tried and had dialogue and then bombs someone. What massive achievement did the previous administration have?

Harrowby Hall

« Reply #1063 on: March 13, 2018, 03:00:08 PM »
Possibly but not sure that is important in Trumpworld. If it stood the nuclear programme then he wins, if it doesn't he tried and had dialogue and then bombs someone. What massive achievement did the previous administration have?

I think that this is Trump living in deal-making fantasy land. He believes his own propaganda! From a distance it would seem that Kim Jong-Un is every bit as ... err ... idiosyncratic as Trump and that nothing can be predicted. Trump also runs the risk of alienating China (even further than he has done so far). The potential damage to the greater interests of the USA may be catastrophic.

Does Magna Carta mean nothing to you? Did she die in vain?

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #1064 on: March 13, 2018, 03:29:11 PM »
I think that this is Trump living in deal-making fantasy land. He believes his own propaganda! From a distance it would seem that Kim Jong-Un is every bit as ... err ... idiosyncratic as Trump and that nothing can be predicted. Trump also runs the risk of alienating China (even further than he has done so far). The potential damage to the greater interests of the USA may be catastrophic.

In what way is that an answer to the question about what the previous administration achieved? I'm not arguing that Trump is successful here but we appear to have no definition of success in which case, being unsuccessful is simply a matter of feeling.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 03:34:55 PM by Nearly Sane »

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #1065 on: March 13, 2018, 03:36:49 PM »
I would be more than surprised if Russia isn't behind this attempted murder.
Argument by personal incredulity fallacy

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #1066 on: March 13, 2018, 05:01:52 PM »
Well we shall see, won't we.
That won't change that your argument was a fallacy

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #1067 on: March 14, 2018, 11:42:54 AM »
As is yours!
Which fallacy do you think my argument here is?

Udayana

• βε ηερε νοω
    • The Byrds - My Back Pages
« Reply #1068 on: March 14, 2018, 01:34:56 PM »
Which fallacy do you think my argument here is?
Is there a fallacy of "arguing without actually putting an argument" ?
Ah, but I was so much older then ... I'm younger than that now

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #1069 on: March 14, 2018, 02:16:03 PM »
Is there a fallacy of "arguing without actually putting an argument" ?

I don't know. Is this post of mine doing that?

'First of all, despite the some circumstantial evidence, it' s not clear that Russia are responsible. The nerve agent was produced for a long time in Uzbekistan - where there has been a lot of U..S involvement. And that too is merely circumstantial.

Secondly, I am not seeing a huge distancing from the rest of the U.S. govt in its support for May's position so not sure what fuel this is for conspiracy theories.'

Udayana

• βε ηερε νοω
« Reply #1070 on: March 15, 2018, 10:27:52 AM »

I don't know. Is this post of mine doing that?

'First of all, despite the some circumstantial evidence, it' s not clear that Russia are responsible. The nerve agent was produced for a long time in Uzbekistan - where there has been a lot of U..S involvement. And that too is merely circumstantial.

Secondly, I am not seeing a huge distancing from the rest of the U.S. govt in its support for May's position so not sure what fuel this is for conspiracy theories.'
It is throwing in some information that others may not be aware of, but itself may or may not be relevant and also expressing your own uncertainties and doubts.

LR was not making an argument but expressing her conclusion/belief based on who knows what data.

In any event, we need to apply logic to known facts and act (or not act) in some appropriate timeframe according to our conclusions. Even with the best information we end up making decisions based on "a balance of probabilities"  - how we decide to act eventually comes down to instinct, intuition, credulity, empathy, politics, ad pop and probably other fallacious thinking or conditioning.

« Last Edit: March 15, 2018, 10:33:40 AM by Udayana »

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #1071 on: March 15, 2018, 10:40:15 AM »
It is throwing in some information that others may not be aware of, but itself may or may not be relevant and also expressing your own uncertainties and doubts.

LR was not making an argument but expressing her conclusion/belief based on who knows what data.

In any event, we need to apply logic to known facts and act (or not act) in some appropriate timeframe according to our conclusions. Even with the best information we end up making decisions based on "a balance of probabilities"  - how we decide to act eventually comes down to instinct, intuition, credulity, empathy, politics, ad pop and probably other fallacious thinking or conditioning.

Which goes so far down the path of relativism as to make discussion pointless.

Udayana

• βε ηερε νοω
« Reply #1072 on: March 15, 2018, 11:52:53 AM »
Surely we can share, check and verify facts and logic by discussion, and to an extent share subjective views and feelings, intuitions and emotions?

What we can't do is come to conclusive, complete and consistent, judgements about the morality or suitability of particular actions. 

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #1073 on: March 15, 2018, 12:01:33 PM »
Surely we can share, check and verify facts and logic by discussion, and to an extent share subjective views and feelings, intuitions and emotions?

What we can't do is come to conclusive, complete and consistent, judgements about the morality or suitability of particular actions.

That I fully agree with but as part of that verifying we can point out where arguments appear wrong and for what reasons.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #1074 on: March 19, 2018, 02:46:44 PM »