Author Topic: Former President Trump  (Read 205501 times)

splashscuba

• might be an atheist, I just don't believe in gods
Re: President Trump
« Reply #800 on: August 16, 2017, 10:38:32 AM »
On what basis do you suggest he should be 'kicked out'?
Election ? Should be able to do it in 3 years plus
I have an infinite number of belief systems cos there are an infinite number of things I don't believe in.

I respect your right to believe whatever you want. I don't have to respect your beliefs.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #801 on: August 16, 2017, 10:49:04 AM »
Trump is crazy, dangerous and making America the laughing stock of the planet. It appears he can do what he likes and it is impossible for them to get rid of him! I wonder how long a British PM would last if they behaved  in the way Trump carries on?
what do you think he has done that would be justification to get rid of him, n the terms of the constitution. That some person on a message board in the UK thinks he's nut isn't an impeachable offence.

Shaker

« Reply #802 on: August 16, 2017, 11:05:22 AM »
Do you think Trump is behaving like someone in full possession of their marbles?
I certainly don't, but NS's point is that that alone isn't enough to oust him. There needs to an actual reason, some charge, to do that.
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #803 on: August 16, 2017, 11:06:24 AM »
Do you think Trump is behaving like someone in full possession of their marbles?
I'm not a qualified medic in a relevant field, are you?

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #804 on: August 16, 2017, 11:10:24 AM »
I certainly don't, but NS's point is that that alone isn't enough to oust him. There needs to an actual reason, some charge, to do that.
Plus, of course, to adapt Groucho Marx, I think anyone wanting to be President should be disqualified from standing.

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #805 on: August 16, 2017, 11:11:37 AM »

Yes - also I think it would be a mistake to think that all his supposed gaffes are actually gaffes - there is, I think, an element of calculation, in that if enough confusion is sown then it becomes more and more difficult to sort the wheat from the chaff as t'were.

But he is also nuts. And ok NS I'm not qualified. But he is. Really.
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #806 on: August 16, 2017, 11:15:04 AM »
On an American religious forum on which I post, many of the fundamentalist Christians have listed in their profiles that they support Trump! How can they support a man who is reputed to touch women inappropriately, whose tax and business affairs are dodgy, and who would overturn a health service which caters for they poor?
Because they have the same values.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #807 on: August 16, 2017, 11:18:56 AM »
Yes - also I think it would be a mistake to think that all his supposed gaffes are actually gaffes - there is, I think, an element of calculation, in that if enough confusion is sown then it becomes more and more difficult to sort the wheat from the chaff as t'were.

But he is also nuts. And ok NS I'm not qualified. But he is. Really.

But as your first point names clear there's an element of crazy like a fox here. And the opinions of random message board posters as to Hus madness is irrelevant to an impeachment.

As jeremyp notes people agree with him because they share many of the values, and it needs to be remembered that those are generic American values not particularly one party or another.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #808 on: August 16, 2017, 11:19:30 AM »
On what basis do you suggest he should be 'kicked out'?
The best basis so far is "obstruction of a federal investigation". He should have been impeached on that one, but he won't because the GOP has too much to lose.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #809 on: August 16, 2017, 11:26:50 AM »
The best basis so far is "obstruction of a federal investigation". He should have been impeached on that one, but he won't because the GOP has too much to lose.
Surely though he still might be? The investigation is ongoing.

I agree that it's likely that the Republicans will try to block any impeachment but there is a definite possibility that an unholy alliance of those who are more moderate and those who are more evangelical might support an impeachment for for different reasons, and we get President Pence.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #810 on: August 16, 2017, 11:26:56 AM »

As jeremyp notes people agree with him because they share many of the values, and it needs to be remembered that those are generic American values not particularly one party or another.

I was actually talking about the values that Floo listed, not "American values". They dismiss the pussy grabbing thing because "hey it's locker room talk, we all do it". Nobody pays more taxes than they need to and if there are ways of getting one up on the tax man, we all do it right? And, as for healthcare, it's often a case of "I'm all right Jack, get your hands off my stack" (to quote a song).

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #811 on: August 16, 2017, 11:30:22 AM »
I was actually talking about the values that Floo listed, not "American values". They dismiss the pussy grabbing thing because "hey it's locker room talk, we all do it". Nobody pays more taxes than they need to and if there are ways of getting one up on the tax man, we all do it right? And, as for healthcare, it's often a case of "I'm all right Jack, get your hands off my stack" (to quote a song).

And part of that is based around views of freedom and the ability to make good, combined with in the case of healthcare a fear of what govt control looks like. There are many who might well disagree with some of his statements and positions but they see the alternative as just as bad and in certain areas worse.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #812 on: August 16, 2017, 11:33:20 AM »
Surely though he still might be? The investigation is ongoing.
That would be "collusion with a foreign power" - a different reason. I'm not sure that Trump was personally involved in that. He definitely did fire the head of the FBI though and it looks like it was because of the investigation.

I agree that it's likely that the Republicans will try to block any impeachment but there is a definite possibility that an unholy alliance of those who are more moderate and those who are more evangelical might support an impeachment for for different reasons, and we get President Pence.
There will be no impeachment before the mid term elections. The Republican Congress cannot afford to make an enemy of Trump's base support if they want to keep control of Congress.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #813 on: August 16, 2017, 11:38:24 AM »
That would be "collusion with a foreign power" - a different reason. I'm not sure that Trump was personally involved in that. He definitely did fire the head of the FBI though and it looks like it was because of the investigation.
There will be no impeachment before the mid term elections. The Republican Congress cannot afford to make an enemy of Trump's base support if they want to keep control of Congress.

I thought it was both still ongoing

https://www.rt.com/usa/392326-mueller-obstruction-trump-investigation/

I would doubt even in terns of timing we would get a full outcome before the mid terns but I agree that any switch to Pence will only happen after.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #814 on: August 18, 2017, 06:03:27 PM »
So it would appear Bannon has gone

Anchorman

• Maranatha!
« Reply #815 on: August 18, 2017, 06:33:07 PM »
At least the numpty has done something right - for once.
"for, as long as but a hundred of us remain alive, never will we on any conditions be brought under English rule. It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Rhiannon

« Reply #816 on: August 18, 2017, 08:15:47 PM »
The Mooch called it.

SteveH

• God? She's black.
« Reply #817 on: August 18, 2017, 08:31:15 PM »
As I think I have remarked before, I have no words. The whole thing is beyond parody, sense, humanity. It is completely bonkers. Dangerous bonkers at that.
That's 27 words. Avoid un-thought-out cliches.
When conspiracy nuts start spouting their bollocks, the best answer is "That's what they want you to think".

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #820 on: August 22, 2017, 08:11:33 AM »
That's 27 words. Avoid un-thought-out cliches.

At the time I did think I need to edit  that because it doesn't read correctly, but then life intervened and hey ho it got forgotten and would have stayed so except for your helpful reminder.

So the deal is I'll avoid un-thought out clichés if you avoid unhelpful pedantry.   :P

« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 08:28:11 AM by Trentvoyager »
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

Udayana

• βε ηερε νοω
    • The Byrds - My Back Pages
« Reply #821 on: August 22, 2017, 09:05:02 AM »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-41008116

"Trump rules out Afghan troops withdrawal"

Good, at least he has been listening to reasoned advice on some issues. Maybe without Bannon's constant interfering noise?

As long as he doesn't undo it with a tweet in the middle of the night
Ah, but I was so much older then ... I'm younger than that now

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #822 on: August 22, 2017, 09:38:25 AM »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-41008116

"Trump rules out Afghan troops withdrawal"

Good, at least he has been listening to reasoned advice on some issues. Maybe without Bannon's constant interfering noise?

As long as he doesn't undo it with a tweet in the middle of the night

Or alternatively, like other leaders have realized in the past, there is nothing like a good conflict to boost your patriotic support at home. Cynical, moi?

Rhiannon

« Reply #823 on: August 22, 2017, 03:20:23 PM »

Shaker

« Reply #824 on: August 24, 2017, 07:52:16 AM »
Stock up on tinned goods now: http://tinyurl.com/y8aekdb3

Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.