Author Topic: Former President Trump  (Read 205384 times)

Shaker

Re: President Trump
« Reply #900 on: November 17, 2017, 09:50:40 AM »
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

Harrowby Hall

« Reply #901 on: November 18, 2017, 08:45:40 AM »
The idea of a ban on elephant products - particularly ivory - is an attempt to stop the hunting of these magnificent animals. Clearly something must be done. But I wonder if, for instance, the wholesale destruction of ivory and ivory products is not going to be counter productive.

If the amount of ivory in circulation is reduced, is that not likely to create a black market in which the price of ivory increases, making its possession even more attractive (to those who find it attractive) than it is now? Instead of burning ivory stocks, would it not be more effective to flood the market - thus making it (relatively) commonplace?

The people who then acquire could be mocked as vulgar and tasteless ... rather like Donald Trump.
Does Magna Carta mean nothing to you? Did she die in vain?

Shaker

« Reply #902 on: November 18, 2017, 08:53:35 AM »
The idea of a ban on elephant products - particularly ivory - is an attempt to stop the hunting of these magnificent animals. Clearly something must be done. But I wonder if, for instance, the wholesale destruction of ivory and ivory products is not going to be counter productive.
I favour brutality - many, many, many more boots on the ground (literally) with automatic weapons. Poachers are the problem, therefore kill the poachers. One of the links in the link above ('The War on Elephants') makes it abundantly clear that there simply aren't enough rangers to cope with the scale of the problem.

If the amount of ivory in circulation is reduced, is that not likely to create a black market in which the price of ivory increases, making its possession even more attractive (to those who find it attractive) than it is now? Instead of burning ivory stocks, would it not be more effective to flood the market - thus making it (relatively) commonplace?

The people who then acquire could be mocked as vulgar and tasteless ... rather like Donald Trump.
That doesn't seem to work though does it? The vulgar and tasteless and endlessly mocked Donald Trump is now President of the USA*.

* Inevitably, since in so many ways the USA is a vulgar and tasteless nation.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 09:17:20 AM by Shaker »
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

Rhiannon

« Reply #903 on: November 29, 2017, 12:05:30 PM »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-42166663

As an aside, this topic isn’t going away so maybe it could be stickied?

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #904 on: November 29, 2017, 12:15:02 PM »

Done. Perhaps it was just wishful thinking that it would go away if it wasn't stickied

Anchorman

• Maranatha!
« Reply #905 on: November 29, 2017, 06:47:02 PM »

Trump sows his usual grasp of both diplomacy and tact....again.
"for, as long as but a hundred of us remain alive, never will we on any conditions be brought under English rule. It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Harrowby Hall

« Reply #906 on: November 29, 2017, 07:44:53 PM »

Trump sows his usual grasp of both diplomacy and tact....again.

And May says "Tut, tut!"
She should tell him that he had blown his chance of a state visit to this country - and that he would not be let in on any private visit.

But we all know that she won't ...
Does Magna Carta mean nothing to you? Did she die in vain?

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #907 on: November 29, 2017, 07:50:22 PM »
Mmm I have no great love for Trump but we let in far worse heads of state. Now I would be happy for us to really consider what we mean by ethical in this area but I done see reasons to refuse a private visit, and as the President of one of our democratic allies, an official if not a state visit seems fine.

Tbh, I think the whole State visit stuff is pointless high flummery.

Rhiannon

« Reply #908 on: November 30, 2017, 08:50:49 AM »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-42176507

Trump appears to have completely lost the plot, I wonder if he is suffering from dementia? By mistake he even sent the tweet intended for May to the wrong Twitter account!

No, he’s a not very bright man with a personality disorder. I was married to someone similar.

Spud

« Reply #909 on: November 30, 2017, 09:17:01 AM »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-42035832

Trump has put the import of elephant products on hold.
Hopefully he'll decide to build a wall around the elephants to keep poachers out?

Rhiannon

« Reply #910 on: November 30, 2017, 09:24:40 AM »
Trump seems to have got a lot worse in the last few months, and could be in the early stages of dementia. But whether he has a serious personality disorder or dementia, he needs to be removed before he does something irrevocably dangerous.

And he gets replaced by the rapture-ready End Timer Pence. Yeah, tempting.

ETA someone with a personality disorder is likely to escalate in their behaviour as they lose control and lose face. Given the situation with Russia, as thing get hotter for Trump and he feels more and more out of his depth, we can expect increasingly erratic and dangerous behaviour.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 09:29:09 AM by Rhiannon »

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #911 on: November 30, 2017, 09:32:32 AM »
ETA someone with a personality disorder is likely to escalate in their behaviour as they lose control and lose face. Given the situation with Russia, as thing get hotter for Trump and he feels more and more out of his depth, we can expect increasingly erratic and dangerous behaviour.

Yes that sounds right, and does appear to be being borne out by his current behaviour.
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #912 on: November 30, 2017, 10:49:05 AM »
I agree Pence isn't a pleasing prospect, but compared with Trump who seems to have completely lost it, even a preforming monkey would be better.

Be careful what you wish for.

The main advantage to retaining Trump over Pence is Trump's incompetence. Trump has beenn defeated and delayed on so many of his measures that he is already a lame duck president. Pence is a different proposition altogether. He is a seasoned politician with an agenda of hatred.

If you doubt this see here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Pence

He is not stupid and his ascendancy to presidential status would be much, much worse than the present situation.
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

jakswan

• Preloved Ads
« Reply #913 on: November 30, 2017, 11:02:26 AM »
And he gets replaced by the rapture-ready End Timer Pence. Yeah, tempting.

US politics has always been slightly crazy, the left-wing Democrats more align with Tories on the political spectrum. Trump is beyond normal though, very dangerous man.

Just hope the US constitution can keep him in check, without it I have no doubt that the horrors he would unleash would make the worst leaders in history blush.
Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.
- Voltaire

Shaker

« Reply #914 on: November 30, 2017, 11:33:57 AM »
I am not sure that it could be much worse than the present situation, which is totally surreal.
President Pence. That would be worse.

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #915 on: November 30, 2017, 01:40:20 PM »
I don't see how he could be worse!

Because he knows what he wants to do, amd what he wants to do in the word of the president is "bad" - and he doesn't have Trumps need for constant approval from adoring admirers which, whilst annoying, actually distracts him from his proper job of being president.

Humph Warden Bennett

« Reply #916 on: November 30, 2017, 01:42:34 PM »
Hello Everybody

Regarding President Fart's Britain First tweets, I would like to point out that Fatso Golding comes from Swanley, and Frau Golding aka Jayda Fransen lives in Penge, neither have a connection with Brommers. Thank You.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #917 on: November 30, 2017, 01:54:45 PM »
I don't see how he could be worse!
It's been explained clearly by trentvoyager that because he is more likely to be successful in implementing legislation based on hate. What is it that you think is wrong with that?

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #918 on: November 30, 2017, 02:15:26 PM »
It is an opinion, to which he is entitled, we don't know for sure what a Pence presidency would actually be like. Unless someone takes Trump out in the near future, we are unlikely to discover how bad a Pence presidency will actually be.
We are pretty sure because of what he has said and done as a politician. Just calling things opinions as if the opinion of someone who thinks there is a planet Nibiru about to destroy us all and someone who thinks that Man City are top of the English Premiership are of equivalent value is worthless.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 02:17:28 PM by Nearly Sane »

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #919 on: November 30, 2017, 02:21:15 PM »
Isn't Man City top of the English Premiership?
That's the point. They are. So if someone states it as an opinion they have evidence. Just as trentvoyager did but you dismissed the evidence because you don't agree with the conclusion.

Shaker

« Reply #920 on: November 30, 2017, 02:48:20 PM »
I don't agree or disagree, I was just saying we can't know for sure how Pence would be in office. Maybe he would be every bit as bad as stated.
As NS has stated, we can construct an entirely reasonable idea on his past record as an active politician. Trump came out of big business and reality TV; Pence however has been in the political game for a long time and has had plenty of opportunity to show his malignant and baleful influence.

jakswan

• Preloved Ads
« Reply #921 on: November 30, 2017, 03:05:03 PM »
Not that I know enough about Pence but I think Bill Maher is on record as saying Pence would be no worse than Trump.
- Voltaire

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #922 on: November 30, 2017, 03:10:10 PM »
I don't agree or disagree, I was just saying we can't know for sure how Pence would be in office. Maybe he would be every bit as bad as stated.

This is disagreeing 'I don't see how he could be worse!' Again evidence is important here. Trump is failing to get things through as trentvoyager pointed out. were someone to do so, and Pence has form, then it would be worse

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #923 on: November 30, 2017, 03:17:01 PM »
Not that I know enough about Pence but I think Bill Maher is on record as saying Pence would be no worse than Trump.
So you think someone said something? This is of value in what way?

jakswan

• Preloved Ads
« Reply #924 on: November 30, 2017, 04:26:12 PM »
So you think someone said something? This is of value in what way?

Bill Maher is a liberal left wing.commentator held in high record in some circles, just wanted to enlighten people that there are different opinions.

Not sure what your routine sneer adds much value frankly. 😀
- Voltaire