Author Topic: Former President Trump  (Read 205077 times)

Spud

Re: President Trump
« Reply #1225 on: July 17, 2018, 12:36:10 PM »
Spud, I grew up around Americans and he bears no resemblance to them.

Trump isn't an optimist. He sells optimism and then lines his own nest knowing ha he will have made enough for it not to affect him when the shit hits.

I hear he is blessed with several skyscrapers, yes... I guess someone's got to own them though. In the 80's I did some work experience at West Palm Beach airport, with Missionary Flights International. Was there about a month, couldn't believe the ice cream, 50 channel TV etc I went on a couple of flights to Haiti in a DC 3, once with passengers (missionaries) and the other time with freight. Also learned how to fly a Cessna!

Anyway, just googled Missionary Flights International Donald Trump, and found this from Facebook:

There are many things that go unreported. In the 90's Donald Trump donated the generator that had been purchased for Mar-a-Lago, and had very few hours on it, to Missionary Flights International. Our speaker, Capt. Ken Gumpel, a pilot for MFI, spoke at our Primetimers luncheon yesterday. He said that generator was so large it had to be dismantled and flown to Haiti in several flights and powered an entire city until now, when they finally got power. Thank you, Lord.

One of the DC 3 pilots, a Christian, drove me to Miami to fly home, and at one point shouted out, "stick it in your ear" to another driver who was getting impatient in a queue for the road tolls.

So I think you can justify being a bit brusque sometimes.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 12:46:38 PM by Spud »

wigginhall

« Reply #1226 on: July 17, 2018, 12:38:02 PM »
And the efforts of women in the US feels like something tangible to me. It's taking the fight to where it is needed.

Well, you are saying that opposing the Blackshirts  was pointless, but the women's struggle isn't.  OK, these are subjective decisions, aren't they?
They were the footprints of a gigantic hound!

Rhiannon

« Reply #1227 on: July 17, 2018, 12:38:21 PM »
And is about specific issues, not just We Hate Trump.

Yes, the blimp thing in particular made me think of the thousands that signed the Change petition to get Katie Hopkins sacked for being foul about refugees, while the petition asking the government/EU to actually do something about the refugees drowning in the Med got an nth of the attention. It felt very self-congratulatory.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #1228 on: July 17, 2018, 12:41:07 PM »
Well, you are saying that opposing the Blackshirts  was pointless, but the women's struggle isn't.  OK, these are subjective decisions, aren't they?
I don't think that Rhiannon is saying opposing the Blackshirts was pointless, just that her great uncle getting the shit kicked out of him by them may not have achieved much in itself.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 12:43:59 PM by Nearly Sane »

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #1229 on: July 17, 2018, 12:47:09 PM »
Yes, the blimp thing in particular made me think of the thousands that signed the Change petition to get Katie Hopkins sacked for being foul about refugees, while the petition asking the government/EU to actually do something about the refugees drowning in the Med got an nth of the attention. It felt very self-congratulatory.
Agree, though having Farage interview Bannon on LBC is worrying.

Not sure if you have read Fintan O'Toole's article from last month that's been doing the rounds.

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/fintan-o-toole-trial-runs-for-fascism-are-in-full-flow-1.3543375

I have real worries that the protests seem like a physical twitter storm.

Rhiannon

« Reply #1230 on: July 17, 2018, 12:50:40 PM »

This is another misrepresentation.  :(

NS is right - did my great uncle taking a beating turn things or not? No idea. The is what I question. Do I think he should have protested? Absolutely. And that story influences me still, because I grew up with the idea that it is important to speak out when you see something wrong in front of you.

SusanDoris

« Reply #1231 on: July 17, 2018, 12:52:54 PM »
For those who have twitter, the long thread on how the Queen snubbed Trump silently with brooches.

https://mobile.twitter.com/SamuraiKnitter/status/1018570246037352449
I simply cannot listen through those tweets or messages so would be grateful if you would tell me what the brooch she wore was and whether Trump gave her a gift of another!
The Most Honourable Sister of Titular Indecision.

Rhiannon

« Reply #1232 on: July 17, 2018, 12:54:23 PM »
Agree, though having Farage interview Bannon on LBC is worrying.

Not sure if you have read Fintan O'Toole's article from last month that's been doing the rounds.

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/fintan-o-toole-trial-runs-for-fascism-are-in-full-flow-1.3543375

I have real worries that the protests seem like a physical twitter storm.

Yes, that makes sense.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #1233 on: July 17, 2018, 01:27:58 PM »
I simply cannot listen through those tweets or messages so would be grateful if you would tell me what the brooch she wore was and whether Trump gave her a gift of another!

It's the story of three brooches she wore at the 3 occasions she met him. The thread has loads more details but a quick summary is:

First brooch was a brooch the Obamas had given her personally. Not one from the US but one given as friends

Second brooch was one from Canada never been worn before which Trump has obviously been insulting and is above the US

Third brooch was one she had inherited from her mother that had been worn by her mother to the funeral of the king, of her father. i

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #1234 on: July 17, 2018, 01:31:57 PM »
That's the sort of completely irrelevant, gratuitously offensive, and fucking stupid comment we've come to expect from you.
Yes you've articulated how I feel about it.

SusanDoris

« Reply #1235 on: July 17, 2018, 02:09:29 PM »
Yes you've articulated how I feel about it.
But the complete opposite to what I think about it. Little Roses' reply was perfectly reasonable.

Rhiannon

« Reply #1236 on: July 17, 2018, 02:12:59 PM »
Sorry but LR's comment was both nonsense and off topic. Not gratuitously offensive though and I'm surprised anyone bothered worrying about to.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #1237 on: July 17, 2018, 02:15:11 PM »
Sorry but LR's comment was both nonsense and off topic. Not gratuitously offensive though and I'm surprised anyone bothered worrying about to.
Agree. Trump on the other hand....

Rhiannon

« Reply #1238 on: July 17, 2018, 02:17:42 PM »
Agree. Trump on the other hand....

Quite.

SusanDoris

« Reply #1239 on: July 17, 2018, 02:22:00 PM »
NS

Thank you for the info about the brooches. I think the Queen's choice was just right!

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #1240 on: July 17, 2018, 02:28:05 PM »
Quite.
Following on from the question of the Trump protests and my twitter storm comment. Part of my unease about how we treat these protests is that they are immediately part of the whole social media phenomenon with the best Trump placards displayed across all forms. The echo chambers of social media become the echo chambers of real life. To an extent it's always ben that way but anger seems so easily magnified. I am uneasy that this seems linked by the phenomenon of finding, naming shaming and punishing 'bad behaviour' such as the daft girl dancing on the ambulance, or the various bigots on the Tommy Robinson march. Getting the police to use the footage if the law is broken fine, but there is a whiff of vigilanteism in a lot of the approach.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #1241 on: July 18, 2018, 07:38:37 AM »

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #1242 on: July 18, 2018, 08:21:44 AM »
Seen elsewhere on the interwebsphere:

Similarly, when Trump said he "would" run into a school unarmed to protect children from a gunman, he meant he "wouldn't."
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

Roses

« Reply #1243 on: July 18, 2018, 08:42:00 AM »
Trump lives in a parallel universe to the rest of us. ::)
"At the going down of the sun and in the morning we will remember them."

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #1244 on: July 18, 2018, 08:56:28 AM »
Trump lives in a parallel universe to the rest of us. ::)
If only.

Roses

« Reply #1245 on: July 18, 2018, 09:01:03 AM »
Even some of Trump's loyal supporters are having doubts about him, after this latest fiasco. It is about time they found a way of giving him the heave ho?

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #1246 on: July 18, 2018, 09:06:11 AM »
Even some of Trump's loyal supporters are having doubts about him, after this latest fiasco. It is about time they found a way of giving him the heave ho?
as ever the prospect of President Pence fills me with no joy.

Roses

« Reply #1247 on: July 18, 2018, 09:24:30 AM »
as ever the prospect of President Pence fills me with no joy.

As you have said before. Admittedly that guy is pretty awful too :o The US is in a right mess, and a very loose cannon at the moment.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #1248 on: July 18, 2018, 09:38:06 AM »

As you have said before. Admittedly that guy is pretty awful too :o The US is in a right mess, and a very loose cannon at the moment.
And having someone properly organised at denying rights to women and homosexuals as Pence would be would make it worse. This is a no win situation.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #1249 on: July 18, 2018, 09:38:55 AM »
Seen elsewhere

'You can't see the wouldn't for the treason'