Author Topic: Former President Trump  (Read 204618 times)

Roses

Re: President Trump
« Reply #1750 on: January 10, 2020, 05:09:51 PM »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-51063149

Trump thinks he should have been awarded the 2019 Nobel Peace Prize!!!! ;D
"At the going down of the sun and in the morning we will remember them."

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #1751 on: January 10, 2020, 06:41:14 PM »
And yet the support for the U.S. action from Johnson today is based on it.
That doesn't put my mind at rest.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #1752 on: January 10, 2020, 06:42:28 PM »
However I do also think he's one of those people that can only be fairly judged after some long term and not by how abrasive he is but by the results he manages to acquire.
I don't judge him by how abrasive he is, I judge him by the overwhelming evidence that he is a corrupt liar and a crook.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #1753 on: January 10, 2020, 06:55:01 PM »
That doesn't put my mind at rest.
I wasn't trying to

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #1754 on: January 11, 2020, 09:39:01 AM »

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #1755 on: January 11, 2020, 10:22:52 AM »

The Iranian statements sound unusually honest.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-51073621 :D

ekim

« Reply #1757 on: January 22, 2020, 04:51:30 PM »

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #1758 on: February 05, 2020, 07:48:41 PM »
Romney to vote to accept the impeachment of Trump. Hmmmm

Sriram

• Spirituality & Science
« Reply #1759 on: February 06, 2020, 07:38:05 AM »

Hmm...We all laud democracy and yet...when things happen against our wishes...words like populism, majoritarianism, view of uneducated masses...etc. start being used.

Should the majority vote and then get that vote approved by the minority...?!   Seems paradoxical to me!  ::)

This applies to the Brexit thread and to the India situation also.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2020, 07:40:24 AM by Sriram »

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #1760 on: February 06, 2020, 07:42:58 AM »
Hmm...We all laud democracy and yet...when things happen against our wishes...words like populism, majoritarianism, view of uneducated masses...etc. start being used.

Should the majority vote and then get that vote approved by the minority...?!   Seems paradoxical to me!  ::)

The majority voted for Hillary Clinton

Harrowby Hall

« Reply #1761 on: February 06, 2020, 08:45:31 AM »
As NS said, the majority voted for Hillary Clinton.

In case Sriram is not aware of the American system for acquiring a president: the president is not elected by the people of the USA but by an Electoral College.

The nationwide election is not to elect a president but to determine each state's representation in the Electoral College. Each state's representation in the College is the number of members of the House of Representatives (Congressmen) that state returns (which is dependent of the state's population) plus its two Senators. The larger states, such as California and New York, tend to have proportionally fewer Congressmen than small states. All Electoral College members vote for the candidate who "won" their state.

Hence, the majority of American voters (by a considerable margin) voted for Hillary Clinton but the distortions of the Electoral College ensured that Donald Trump became president. You may recall that - among other things - Donald Trump attempted to dispute the reality of the national public vote.
Does Magna Carta mean nothing to you? Did she die in vain?

SteveH

• God? She's black.
« Reply #1762 on: February 06, 2020, 08:59:41 AM »
As NS said, the majority voted for Hillary Clinton.

In case Sriram is not aware of the American system for acquiring a president: the president is not elected by the people of the USA but by an Electoral College.

The nationwide election is not to elect a president but to determine each state's representation in the Electoral College. Each state's representation in the College is the number of members of the House of Representatives (Congressmen) that state returns (which is dependent of the state's population) plus its two Senators. The larger states, such as California and New York, tend to have proportionally fewer Congressmen than small states. All Electoral College members vote for the candidate who "won" their state.

Hence, the majority of American voters (by a considerable margin) voted for Hillary Clinton but the distortions of the Electoral College ensured that Donald Trump became president. You may recall that - among other things - Donald Trump attempted to dispute the reality of the national public vote.
Indeed - and what an insane system it is. It should be a simple head-count.
When conspiracy nuts start spouting their bollocks, the best answer is "That's what they want you to think".

SteveH

• God? She's black.
« Reply #1763 on: February 06, 2020, 09:01:00 AM »
And another thing: why does every state, no matter how big or small its population, have two senators?
When conspiracy nuts start spouting their bollocks, the best answer is "That's what they want you to think".

Udayana

• βε ηερε νοω
    • The Byrds - My Back Pages
« Reply #1764 on: February 06, 2020, 11:58:32 AM »

Unfortunately democracy is crap and there's no perfect way of implementing it anyway - at base it relies on an "argumentum ad populum" fallacy - except we're not even saying that we get the "right" decisions, just that we can resolve many conflicts without falling back into violence.

Ah, but I was so much older then ... I'm younger than that now

Robbie

« Reply #1765 on: March 19, 2020, 05:56:37 PM »
President Donald Trump said, “People are dying who have never died before.”
True Wit is Nature to Advantage drest,
          What oft was Thought, but ne’er so well Exprest

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #1766 on: March 19, 2020, 09:46:26 PM »
Some minor inaccuracies in the below:

The senators are not in the Electoral College. The electoral college consists of delegates. Each state gets a delegate for each member of the House of Representatives and a delegate for each senator of which there are always two per state. The number of representatives (i.e. members of the House of Representatives) are roughly in proportion to the population of the state based on the ten yearly census.

The imbalance arises because all states - even really small ones - are entitled to at least one representative and exactly two senators.

Most states instruct all of the electoral college delegates to vote for the presidential candidate that won the popular vote in their state. So, for example, in California, the Democrat candidate almost always wins the popular vote and therefore all 55 electoral college delegates are instructed to vote for the Democrat. However, Maine and Nebraska instruct two delegates to vote based on the winner of the popular vote and the other delegates to vote based on the split of representatives. So Maine has 11 delegates, two of them will vote based on the popular vote over the whole state and the other nine will vote based on the representatives returned. If the Dems win four districts and the GOP wins five and the popular vote goes too the GOP, then seven Maine delegates will vote Republican and four will vote Dem.

SusanDoris

« Reply #1767 on: March 20, 2020, 07:36:15 AM »
Well, that made me laugh of course! But it's really desperate when the US has such an idiot in charge.
The Most Honourable Sister of Titular Indecision.

Harrowby Hall

« Reply #1768 on: March 20, 2020, 10:06:43 AM »
Some minor inaccuracies in the below:
The senators are not in the Electoral College.

Where do I say they are? 

Your second point is well made - the use of electoral districts determining the state representation rather than the popular vote is a clear distortion.

« Last Edit: March 20, 2020, 10:17:29 AM by Harrowby Hall »

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #1769 on: March 20, 2020, 11:56:33 AM »
Where do I say they are? 

Each state's representation in the College is the number of members of the House of Representatives (Congressmen) that state returns (which is dependent of the state's population) plus its two Senators

Your second point is well made - the use of electoral districts determining the state representation rather than the popular vote is a clear distortion.

I think both  ways are problematic. In California, if the Dems get 50.1% of the vote, the Dem candidate gets all 55 delegates. The  best way IMO is to do away with the Electoral College altogether and use the popular vote over the whole USA, perhaps using a single transferable vote model.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #1770 on: March 20, 2020, 04:08:26 PM »
It's a lovely quote but, unfortunately, not true.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/trump-quote-never-died-before/

Roses

« Reply #1771 on: March 25, 2020, 08:41:15 AM »
Although the US is very badly affected by Covid-19 the White House cretin had declared he hopes it will be over by Easter Sunday, and life will return to normal. It is about time a place is found for him in a lunatic asylum.  >:(

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-52029546
"At the going down of the sun and in the morning we will remember them."

Sassy

« Reply #1772 on: March 26, 2020, 07:51:50 AM »

Would you mind telling us where you obtained this piece of information?

I found the information when reading up on him.
We know we have to work together to abolish war and terrorism to create a compassionate  world in which Justice and peace prevail. Love ;D   Einstein
 "Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #1773 on: March 26, 2020, 08:12:40 AM »
Although the US is very badly affected by Covid-19 the White House cretin had declared he hopes it will be over by Easter Sunday, and life will return to normal. It is about time a place is found for him in a lunatic asylum.  >:(

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-52029546
Let’s hope he’s right.

Harrowby Hall

« Reply #1774 on: March 26, 2020, 02:53:22 PM »

Oh, good heavens. Someone has woken the sleeping beauty.

On 13 May, last year, Sassy wrote:

Steve,

Do you wonder why Trump is a rich business man and president of the United States whilst you are not?

Let me see why would anyone think this comment is useful?

Do you think your joke works when you put your positions in life side by side.

He is the one having the last laugh.  You are the one whose cage his position has rattled.

A joke belongs in the joke section not in politics and current affairs.  We may never see eye to eye with trump but a man who owns and has developed most of New York and is now the President
is not a man you can make such jokes stand about. Whatever you may think he is an high achiever and he is successful.

I asked her to justify her statement that Trump "owns and has developed most of New York" and I now have a reply.

I found the information when reading up on him.

I suspect you were reading a fairy tail, Sassy, and a pretty grim one at that. The word "most" implies more than 50%, so you stated that Donald J Trump owns more than half of New York (City). The Wikipedia entry Donald Trump contains the following:

When he filed mandatory financial disclosure forms with the Federal Elections Commission (FEC) in July 2015, Trump claimed a net worth of about $10 billion; however FEC figures cannot corroborate this estimate because they only show each of his largest buildings as being worth over $50 million, yielding total assets worth more than $1.4 billion and debt over $265 million. Trump said in a 2007 deposition, "My net worth fluctuates, and it goes up and down with markets and with attitudes and with feelings, even my own feelings."

$1.4 billion represents only a tiny portion of the real estate value of NYC.