Author Topic: Former President Trump  (Read 204295 times)

Owlswing

Re: President Trump
« Reply #2150 on: November 09, 2020, 03:52:38 AM »

A view of Trump

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/nov/08/hoping-for-a-return-to-normal-after-trump-thats-the-last-thing-we-need?fbclid=IwAR1-YGj3wuPSQpDSp_2sCrwInJmafT3ywg3ivcwZ65pcjkEGuFMhV5o7Oys

Great for the stinking rich, tough, tougher due to Covid, for those who work for the stinking rich and who gives a fuck about the rest of the world as long as the good ole U S of A is OK!

I have little concern for his effect on the U S but his attitude to Global Warming in particular and the oil pipeline from Canada and quite possibly ecology as a whole make my blood run cold.

So he doesn't care what people think of him as long as they keep him in the White House, but they haven't have they?
The Holy Bible, probably the most diabolical work of fiction ever to be visited upon mankind.

An it harm none, do what you will; an it harm some, do what you must!

Anchorman

• Maranatha!
« Reply #2151 on: November 09, 2020, 09:04:07 AM »
"for, as long as but a hundred of us remain alive, never will we on any conditions be brought under English rule. It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #2152 on: November 09, 2020, 07:28:13 PM »
Great for the stinking rich, tough, tougher due to Covid, for those who work for the stinking rich and who gives a fuck about the rest of the world as long as the good ole U S of A is OK!

I have little concern for his effect on the U S but his attitude to Global Warming in particular and the oil pipeline from Canada and quite possibly ecology as a whole make my blood run cold.

So he doesn't care what people think of him as long as they keep him in the White House, but they haven't have they?
You seem to have missed Varoufakis' point which is in no sense to defend Trump but to critique the idea that a return to normal is some form of a solution.

Owlswing

« Reply #2153 on: November 09, 2020, 08:09:26 PM »

You seem to have missed Varoufakis' point which is in no sense to defend Trump but to critique the idea that a return to normal is some form of a solution.

A "return to normal" in the U S seems to be 'no change' except that the attitude of the rich to the not rich is not quite so blatant! The White House will remain as racist as ever but not so blatant.

Trump's America was the same as before but he didn't give a damn who knew about it.
The Holy Bible, probably the most diabolical work of fiction ever to be visited upon mankind.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #2154 on: November 09, 2020, 08:39:03 PM »
A "return to normal" in the U S seems to be 'no change' except that the attitude of the rich to the not rich is not quite so blatant! The White House will remain as racist as ever but not so blatant.

Trump's America was the same as before but he didn't give a damn who knew about it.
Which is why Varoufakis is saying a return to normal will solve nothing, and he is making no defence of Trump, indeed he is condemning him.

Owlswing

« Reply #2155 on: November 10, 2020, 12:57:20 AM »

Which is why Varoufakis is saying a return to normal will solve nothing, and he is making no defence of Trump, indeed he is condemning him.

Sir, I bow to your ability to read journalistese better than I!

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #2156 on: November 11, 2020, 11:40:49 AM »

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #2157 on: November 11, 2020, 04:51:22 PM »
What Trump might do next.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-54875343

It doesn't mention the possibility that Trump might be spending his remaining years fighting of court cases (or in prison if he is unsuccessful in court).

Also, I think it underestimates the trouble his businesses are in. He's up to the neck in debt and a lot of his assets are hotels which are probably not profitable at the moment.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

Nearly Sane

• Administrator

Anchorman

• Maranatha!
« Reply #2159 on: November 17, 2020, 07:32:01 PM »
"for, as long as but a hundred of us remain alive, never will we on any conditions be brought under English rule. It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Roses

« Reply #2160 on: November 18, 2020, 09:00:53 AM »
Trump is going from bad to worse, if that is possible. He behaves like a small child having frequent temper tantrums. His supporters must be as bonkers as he is if they can't see how sick in the head that man is.
"At the going down of the sun and in the morning we will remember them."

ekim

« Reply #2161 on: November 18, 2020, 09:06:58 AM »
"Make the lie big, make it simple, keep saying it, and eventually they will believe it."    Hitler

Anchorman

• Maranatha!

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

Roses

SteveH

• God? She's black.
« Reply #2165 on: November 21, 2020, 12:10:00 PM »
...temper tantrums...
As I pointed out on another thread, this is an oxymoron, and even if one accepts that "temper" now means the opposite of its original meaning, it's still a tautology. All you needed to say was "tantrums".
When conspiracy nuts start spouting their bollocks, the best answer is "That's what they want you to think".

Owlswing

« Reply #2166 on: November 21, 2020, 12:32:40 PM »

As I pointed out on another thread, this is an oxymoron, and even if one accepts that "temper" now means the opposite of its original meaning, it's still a tautology. All you needed to say was "tantrums".

Pedant!

Owlswing

)O(

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #2167 on: November 21, 2020, 01:26:40 PM »

Really? You're complaining about that?
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

Roses

« Reply #2168 on: November 21, 2020, 01:37:28 PM »

Oh for pity's sake, GIVE IT A REST! ::)

Robbie

« Reply #2169 on: November 21, 2020, 02:04:44 PM »
He's right though. I have used the phrase "temper tantrums" before now but won't again now he has reminded me. It's like saying, "Let me reiterate again".
True Wit is Nature to Advantage drest,
          What oft was Thought, but ne’er so well Exprest

SteveH

• God? She's black.
« Reply #2170 on: November 21, 2020, 02:13:52 PM »
I do like winding up the easily-wound-up with a bit of pedantry! Childish, I know, but there it is.
When conspiracy nuts start spouting their bollocks, the best answer is "That's what they want you to think".

Robbie

True Wit is Nature to Advantage drest,
          What oft was Thought, but ne’er so well Exprest

Roses

« Reply #2172 on: November 21, 2020, 02:37:49 PM »
I do like winding up the easily-wound-up with a bit of pedantry! Childish, I know, but there it is.

It doesn't seem to take much for you to have a TEMPER tantrum as you appear to be easily wound up. Shades of that darling man across the pond. :P ;D ;D ;D

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #2173 on: November 21, 2020, 04:16:58 PM »
What a waste of time, temper tantrum is a phrase that has passed into common usage. You can be a pedant if you want, but is it worth it:

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/pregnancy-and-baby/temper-tantrums/
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

Owlswing

« Reply #2174 on: November 21, 2020, 04:29:08 PM »

What a waste of time, temper tantrum is a phrase that has passed into common usage. You can be a pedant if you want, but is it worth it:

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/pregnancy-and-baby/temper-tantrums/

If it gives our friend pleasure, fine, it seems to be a sweetie to an infant!