Author Topic: Former President Trump  (Read 204272 times)

Roses

Re: President Trump
« Reply #2200 on: November 23, 2020, 08:50:07 AM »
I wonder which actor will be the Trump character when this election, like no other, is turned into a movie?
"At the going down of the sun and in the morning we will remember them."

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #2201 on: November 23, 2020, 08:56:08 AM »
No it isn't. LR simply mentioned that many people think Trump is bonkers. She didn't try to draw any conclusion from that.
Then it's entirely irrelevant

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #2202 on: November 23, 2020, 08:58:56 AM »
I wonder which actor will be the Trump character when this election, like no other, is turned into a movie?
Based on his impersonations of him on Saturday Night Live, Alec Baldwin

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saturday_Night_Live

SteveH

• God? She's black.
« Reply #2203 on: November 23, 2020, 09:06:03 AM »
Then it's entirely irrelevant
Have you ever admitted you were wrong about anything?
When conspiracy nuts start spouting their bollocks, the best answer is "That's what they want you to think".

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #2204 on: November 23, 2020, 09:09:38 AM »
Have you ever admitted you were wrong about anything?
Many times. If it isn't being used as an ad populum, can you explain why it is relevant? It will make discussion easier if you don't make irrelevant personal comments, and instead present arguments.

SteveH

• God? She's black.
« Reply #2205 on: November 23, 2020, 09:22:28 AM »
Many times. If it isn't being used as an ad populum, can you explain why it is relevant? It will make discussion easier if you don't make irrelevant personal comments, and instead present arguments.
Being widely believed doesn't prove the belief to be true, but that doesn't make it irrelevant. If you want to avoid personal comments, you could try being less cocky and confrontational.
When conspiracy nuts start spouting their bollocks, the best answer is "That's what they want you to think".

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #2206 on: November 23, 2020, 09:23:29 AM »
Being widely believed doesn't prove the belief to be true, but that doesn't make it irrelevant. If you want to avoid personal comments, you could try being less cocky and confrontational.
Why is it relevant?

SteveH

• God? She's black.
« Reply #2207 on: November 23, 2020, 09:26:20 AM »
Why is it relevant?
Because LR is arguing in more loosely conversational terms than you are allowing for. I think you may be guilty of the McNamara fallacy.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #2208 on: November 23, 2020, 09:31:40 AM »
Because LR is arguing in more loosely conversational terms than you are allowing for. I think you may be guilty of the McNamara fallacy.
That doesn't explain any relevance.

SteveH

• God? She's black.
« Reply #2209 on: November 23, 2020, 09:31:50 AM »
Many times.
Examples please, or I may have to accuse you of the proof-by-assertion fallacy.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #2210 on: November 23, 2020, 09:36:15 AM »
Examples please, or I may have to accuse you of the proof-by-assertion fallacy.
  I frequently tell my wife that I was wrong about facts in recollections and that her memory was correct.

Not seeing the relevance to the thread.

SteveH

• God? She's black.
« Reply #2211 on: November 23, 2020, 10:02:35 AM »
That doesn't explain any relevance.
It's relevant in a loosely conversational way.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #2212 on: November 23, 2020, 10:08:23 AM »
And again that's not explaining any relevance. What point is the statement being made for?

SteveH

• God? She's black.
« Reply #2213 on: November 23, 2020, 10:38:50 AM »
Oh, to hell with it. Go on - make one more reply to get the last word. I am off this thread for now. This is not an admission of defeat, just of weariness.

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #2214 on: November 23, 2020, 10:48:11 AM »

LR's statement about 'many people' is an obvious ad pop though, since it is solely an appeal to numbers without any other form of justification that supports a claim that Trump has mental health issues (even if 'many people' do indeed think that he has).

Whether he has mental health issues or not is irrelevant to this 'many people' claim, since the claim is not an informed one.   
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 10:58:51 AM by Gordon »

Roses

« Reply #2215 on: November 23, 2020, 11:29:54 AM »
I wonder if some publisher would consider bringing out a Trump comic? If it was well done I suspect it would have a large readership.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #2216 on: November 23, 2020, 06:08:41 PM »
Not an argument made by LR, so irrelevant to my point. And in terms of that argument, there are lots of qualified people saying he does not
If you’re going to split hairs, LR made a statement of opinion, not fact so she doesn’t have to bring cast iron proof to the table.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

Roses

« Reply #2217 on: November 23, 2020, 06:20:37 PM »
If you’re going to split hairs, LR made a statement of opinion, not fact so she doesn’t have to bring cast iron proof to the table.

Thankyou. :)

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #2218 on: November 23, 2020, 06:21:10 PM »
Didn't ask her to do so.

Roses

« Reply #2219 on: November 23, 2020, 06:29:30 PM »
Look this discussion about Trump's sanity could go on until the cows come home or Biden takes over the White House. We should just leave that for now and concentrate on how long it is likely to be before Trump concedes.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #2220 on: November 23, 2020, 06:48:07 PM »
Look this discussion about Trump's sanity could go on until the cows come home or Biden takes over the White House. We should just leave that for now and concentrate on how long it is likely to be before Trump concedes.
He’s a clinical psychopath. He’s not going to concede ever. Fortunately, he doesn’t have to. On January 20th at midday he will cease to be president automatically.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

Harrowby Hall

« Reply #2221 on: November 23, 2020, 07:32:06 PM »
If he does not try to engineer a coup before that ...

More seriously, however, if he makes no attempt to allow the Biden administration the opportunity to acclimatise itself to the realities of being the Executive branch in the US federal government his reputation - even among his own supporters - will be trashed.

A thought that has occurred  to once or twice: is he sufficiently disturbed as to be likely to commit suicide?
Does Magna Carta mean nothing to you? Did she die in vain?

SteveH

• God? She's black.
« Reply #2222 on: November 23, 2020, 10:53:05 PM »

A thought that has occurred  to once or twice: is he sufficiently disturbed as to be likely to commit suicide?
With any luck...

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #2223 on: November 23, 2020, 11:27:33 PM »
With any luck...
Trump is not my favourite person, and should he have broken laws then I hope he is prosecuted but wishing that he might commit suicide feels distasteful.

Owlswing

« Reply #2224 on: November 24, 2020, 06:54:41 AM »

Trump is not my favourite person, and should he have broken laws then I hope he is prosecuted but wishing that he might commit suicide feels distasteful.

Distasteful to you it might be but I will guarantee that a huge number of people would breathe a huge and heartfelt sigh of relief!

Me included! In fact, I might actually crack a bottle of Mead in order to drink a toast to his finally doing something positive for the rest of the world other than, or possibly including, his family.

Owlswing

)O(

P S - personal opinion - approval neither sought nor required!

The Holy Bible, probably the most diabolical work of fiction ever to be visited upon mankind.

An it harm none, do what you will; an it harm some, do what you must!