Author Topic: Former President Trump  (Read 204210 times)

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
Re: President Trump
« Reply #2300 on: January 14, 2021, 03:28:29 PM »
His immediate circle seems to imploding - now involving Giuliani

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/jan/14/trump-refusing-to-pay-rudy-giuliani-legal-fees-after-falling-out
At times like this I do miss Trump's twitter feed.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #2301 on: January 14, 2021, 03:28:49 PM »
Maybe settle it with a trial by combat? :)
Lol

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #2302 on: January 15, 2021, 09:23:55 AM »
I wonder if Mitch McConnell and other Republican senators are not saying how they will vote until they have seen if there is any trouble at the inauguration. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-55670526

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #2303 on: January 15, 2021, 09:39:08 AM »
I looked at the odds on Trump pardoning one of his children and it was 15/8 odds on.

Harrowby Hall

« Reply #2304 on: January 19, 2021, 02:51:24 PM »
It's not a particularly pleasant day outside so I decided to see if there was any tv programme I had missed on IPlayer. I discovered, and am now half way through a binge of The Trump Show - four one hour long episodes detailing the "reign" of Donald Trump. I think that today may be the first day on which the final episode is available.

I am finding them riveting. There is no way that the Beeb's approach could be called impartial. It is condemnatory from the start.

There are contributions from several of the people who were - at some time - members of Trump's inner circle, holding positions such as Special Advisor and Chief of Staff. There is also a contribution from Stormy Daniels. And of course, there is the central figure himself ...

One ... err ... observation that illuminates the bizarre character that inhabits the orange-topped monstrocity: when discussing his inauguration he considered the possibilty of swearing his oath on his "own" book - The Art of the Sale - instead of the Bible.
Does Magna Carta mean nothing to you? Did she die in vain?

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #2305 on: January 19, 2021, 02:59:33 PM »
It's not a particularly pleasant day outside so I decided to see if there was any tv programme I had missed on IPlayer. I discovered, and am now half way through a binge of The Trump Show - four one hour long episodes detailing the "reign" of Donald Trump. I think that today may be the first day on which the final episode is available.

I am finding them riveting. There is no way that the Beeb's approach could be called impartial. It is condemnatory from the start.

There are contributions from several of the people who were - at some time - members of Trump's inner circle, holding positions such as Special Advisor and Chief of Staff. There is also a contribution from Stormy Daniels. And of course, there is the central figure himself ...

One ... err ... observation that illuminates the bizarre character that inhabits the orange-topped monstrocity: when discussing his inauguration he considered the possibilty of swearing his oath on his "own" book - The Art of the Sale - instead of the Bible.
There are so many times when I've been listening  to sentences said by and about Trump in the last six years where I've heard it, and had to process it a few times  to get to quite how absurd it is.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2021, 03:58:38 PM by Nearly Sane »

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #2306 on: January 19, 2021, 03:57:53 PM »
Interesting article on the legacy of Trump. Thing is I think Trump is a symptom here not the cause

https://www.opendemocracy.net/en/trumps-legacy-isnt-just-violence-and-qanon-its-a-broken-information-system/

SusanDoris

« Reply #2307 on: January 19, 2021, 04:20:26 PM »
One of the American commentators on Five Live last night was talking about Byden as a three-dimensional figure, whereas Trump was barely 0.5 dimensions, and a poor 0.5 at that!
The Most Honourable Sister of Titular Indecision.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #2308 on: January 19, 2021, 04:29:49 PM »
One of the American commentators on Five Live last night was talking about Byden as a three-dimensional figure, whereas Trump was barely 0.5 dimensions, and a poor 0.5 at that!
Hmm I think that depends on the spectacles one wears.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #2309 on: January 19, 2021, 05:00:49 PM »
Randy Rainbow's farewell to Trump

https://youtu.be/UzXBVkWASI4

And this is what he is parodying

https://youtu.be/UvyHuse6buY
« Last Edit: January 19, 2021, 05:17:08 PM by Nearly Sane »

Roses

« Reply #2310 on: January 19, 2021, 05:11:50 PM »
 ;D

Trump is probably hoping for his image on Mount Rushmore.
"At the going down of the sun and in the morning we will remember them."

Harrowby Hall

« Reply #2311 on: January 19, 2021, 06:09:25 PM »
I have watched all the episodes now.

Apparently Trump got the idea of claiming the election to be fraudulent from one of his favourite films - Citizen Kane.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #2312 on: January 19, 2021, 08:28:10 PM »
Vicious from McConnell about Trump. Surely he has to vote fpr conviction after this. The cynic in me suspects there will bena number that can be seen as significant from the Reps who bote for conviction but not quite enough to succeed.

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/01/19/politics/mcconnell-trump/index.html

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #2313 on: January 19, 2021, 08:41:01 PM »

Apparently Trump got the idea of claiming the election to be fraudulent from one of his favourite films - Citizen Kane.
One wonders if Trump has a Rosebud, and if so what it is?

Harrowby Hall

« Reply #2314 on: January 19, 2021, 10:19:26 PM »
Vicious from McConnell about Trump. Surely he has to vote fpr conviction after this. The cynic in me suspects there will bena number that can be seen as significant from the Reps who bote for conviction but not quite enough to succeed.

My suspicion is that - with its recently acquired Qanon, Proudboys and other factions - the Republican  Party will be unelectable (like Labour under Corbyn) unless some re-alignment of some kind takes place. McConnell will possibly put as much distance between the GOP and Trump as he can. After all, in FPTP political systems elections are usually lost if they become too extreme. Victory takes place at the centre. And I think that the Trumpian practice of monstrous lies about oponents will be dropped.

SusanDoris

« Reply #2315 on: January 20, 2021, 06:15:28 AM »
And in just a few hours, the title of this topic will have to change to EX-President Trump!

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #2316 on: January 20, 2021, 07:39:43 AM »
And in just a few hours, the title of this topic will have to change to EX-President Trump!
No, he retains the title, whilst losing the power,  so it would be correct to leave as is.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #2317 on: January 20, 2021, 08:27:58 AM »
The whole pardon thing is very very odd.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-55729221

SusanDoris

« Reply #2318 on: January 20, 2021, 08:34:11 AM »
No, he retains the title, whilst losing the power,  so it would be correct to leave as is.
That's a pity! That's where we here have an advantage, I think, since the PM doesn't retain the title when no longer in office. 

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #2319 on: January 20, 2021, 10:30:21 AM »
That's a pity! That's where we here have an advantage, I think, since the PM doesn't retain the title when no longer in office.
Ir's such a different system that there isn't any real comparison. The big problem we have is that FPTP gives too much power to an executive elected by minority vote.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #2320 on: January 20, 2021, 10:58:03 AM »
From Nigella Lawson on Twitter:

Well, yes, Bitter Orange Tart just happens to be #RecipeOfTheDay. Apart from anything else, there are more things to make with Seville oranges than marmalade! This is not complicated: the base is bashed ginger nuts https://nigella.com/recipes/bitter-orange-tart

I wonder what prompted that today?

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #2321 on: January 20, 2021, 10:59:28 AM »
And from Susie Dent:

Word of the day is 'exsibilate' (17th century): to hiss a poor performer off the stage.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #2322 on: January 20, 2021, 11:53:20 AM »

I've caught up with the last one. The thing that is amazing to me is that even with all the lies, all the preparation for calling the election a fraud, both 2020 and 2016, that when you see the speech on in the White House where he calls it as a fraud, that it dwarfs  everything.

It's been called The Big Lie but it's way beyond that.

Roses

« Reply #2323 on: January 20, 2021, 03:30:13 PM »
Now Trump has left the White House it would be great if it was good riddance to bad rubbish, but there is now talk of him forming his own political party!  :o
"At the going down of the sun and in the morning we will remember them."

Harrowby Hall

« Reply #2324 on: January 20, 2021, 04:11:01 PM »
Now Trump has left the White House it would be great if it was good riddance to bad rubbish, but there is now talk of him forming his own political party!  :o

In the American political system its only consequence would be to ensure that the Democrats won.