Author Topic: Imbolc 2017  (Read 4901 times)

Shaker

Imbolc 2017
« on: January 29, 2017, 01:15:39 PM »
... coming up soon, on February 1st (i.e. this Wednesday, although in ye olde days as in Judaism the day was held to begin at sunset, so Tuesday January 31st). My - admittedly painfully limited - knowledge of neopaganism tells me it's one of the eight main festivals in the wheel of the year, approximately half way between the winter solstice (Yule) and the spring equinox (Ostara), and one of the four Celtic festivals. Associated with the goddess Brigid/Bride, Christianised as St. Brigid. In pagan terms it's associated with the waning of winter and the coming of spring - longer hours of daylight etc. - and therefore fertility.

How did I do?  :D
« Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 01:32:33 PM by Shaker »
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

Rhiannon

Re: Imbolc 2017
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2017, 04:15:04 PM »
It's likely that this is one of the few festivals associated directly with a particular deity since ancient times, rather than as a neopagan tradition, since the day very early on became St Brigid's Day. The name possibly refers to the ewes and the lambing season. Neopagans sometimes eat milk-based dishes such as rice pudding as a way of celebrating this and some make Brigid's Crosses and dolls in accordance to old Irish custom.

It's not a festival that I usually keep. For me the start of spring is the day when I notice it, not a day on the calendar. That's just my way of doing things though.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 04:18:24 PM by Rhiannon »

Shaker

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2017, 07:38:43 PM »
The name possibly refers to the ewes and the lambing season. Neopagans sometimes eat milk-based dishes such as rice pudding as a way of celebrating this and some make Brigid's Crosses and dolls in accordance to old Irish custom.
My spotty reading says that the name ultimately comes from the Old Irish oimelc, that's to say, ewe's milk, that's to say, lambing season - which would explain the milky connection. 

It's not a festival that I usually keep. For me the start of spring is the day when I notice it, not a day on the calendar. That's just my way of doing things though.
True. I wonder if Wicca specifically is more rigidly structured, as in adhering to festivals on definite and specific days/dates in the calendar - Owly might chip in here when he catches up with the thread. I don't know. I've said before that in my life experience there's always one particular day in late autumn when I first notice the first really cold bite of winter - a particular cast of light toward dusk, a particularly harsh but lovely (loving winter as I do) tang of cold in the air. All my life I've noted this one particular day in the year when I've stepped outside and smelt the air around dusk and felt the chill and thought winter is coming, and not in the ominous, sinister George R. R. Martin sense either. I've known it and marked it privately and personally all my life. It's never on any one specific date; it comes whenever it comes, and I notice it when I notice it. That suits me perfectly.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 07:44:31 PM by Shaker »
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

Rhiannon

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2017, 07:48:52 PM »
Oimelc is probably a tradition that is more modern. Still, doesn't matter really.

Owlswing

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2017, 03:31:12 AM »

I wonder if Wicca specifically is more rigidly structured, as in adhering to festivals on definite and specific days/dates in the calendar - Owly might chip in here when he catches up with the thread.

In Wicca (capitalised) every festival and every full moon has its attendant ritual set in stone by GBG! No High Priestess of lineage would dare to amend even one syllable in case it were brought to GBG's attention, or one of his multiplicity of deputies.

A verbal reprimand in front of a meeting of every High Priestess would be the result and a note of the reprimand woud be entered into the Coven's Book of Shadow's and would have to be hand-copied into the BoS of every Covener. As you will imagine there were very very few deviations from GBG's and Doreen's scripts.

The reason for this was GBG's membership of the Freemason's and a large part of Gardnerian Wicca's rules and rituals were based upon the rules and rituals of Freemasonry.

There still exists an official attached to the highest level of Gardnerian Wicca who is responsible for investigating any, even the most minor, reported breaches of these rules and to my sorrow I know personally of two Third Degree (the highest) High Priests who have been declared Warlock (oathbreaker/traitor) and are treated by Gardnerian Wiccans as if they do not exist and will be treated so unto death.

Most wiccan Covens (uncapitalised) write and perform their own rituals; Hedgewitches, like the Lady Rhi, do whatever they feel to be appropriate to their own particular path (as described in the Lady Rhi's post above).       
The Holy Bible, probably the most diabolical work of fiction ever to be visited upon mankind.

An it harm none, do what you will; an it harm some, do what you must!

Walter

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2017, 10:35:48 AM »
Oimelc is probably a tradition that is more modern. Still, doesn't matter really.
of course it doesn't , the planet is big and tilted on its axis , people in the northern hemisphere tend to forget what is happening in the southern half .

Rhiannon

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2017, 10:38:50 AM »
of course it doesn't , the planet is big and tilted on its axis , people in the northern hemisphere tend to forget what is happening in the southern half .

Not really. In the Southern Hemisphere neopagans celebrate according to their seasons - the Wheel runs in reverse.

Not that I'm sure how this is relevant to Irish folk tradition.

Walter

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2017, 11:06:47 AM »
Not really. In the Southern Hemisphere neopagans celebrate according to their seasons - the Wheel runs in reverse.

Not that I'm sure how this is relevant to Irish folk tradition.
you mean time runs backwards?
to be honest I'm just taking the piss , its all bollocks and time to put all this nonsense behind us.
Has the sun got his hat on yet ? 8)

Rhiannon

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2017, 11:29:44 AM »
to be honest I'm just taking the piss , its all bollocks and time to put all this nonsense behind us.

Bless, you don't know what the Wheel is. Never mind.

Walter

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2017, 12:21:12 PM »
Bless, you don't know what the Wheel is. Never mind.
you are right , I don't and have no wish to either but thank you for your concern.
I shall now depart this thread and wish you all a good day. ::)

Rhiannon

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2017, 12:24:39 PM »
you are right , I don't and have no wish to either but thank you for your concern.
I shall now depart this thread and wish you all a good day. ::)

Jolly good, have a nice one too.

Owlswing

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2017, 02:37:16 AM »

Don't be bloody daft!

In Australia, which, I presume, is still in the Southern Hemisphere, all the rituals were performed according to the LOCAL calendar - Yule is celebrated at Christmas, and the Summer Solstice is celebrated on or about December 21 - when I lived in Sydney the members of my Coven and our friends were thoroughly smashed from December 20 right through to January 3 or 4!

The Holy Bible, probably the most diabolical work of fiction ever to be visited upon mankind.

Owlswing

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2017, 02:42:58 AM »

That you are taking the piss is all too obvious!

That you consider it bollocks is up to you - if you move on we will have one less pathetic wanker taking the piss because he doesn't have a clue what t f he is talking about!

May your journey in putting it behind you, I wish to keep it with me, be free from ruts and potholes and people taking the piss out of you.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2024, 05:12:45 PM »
Imbolc 2024