Author Topic: I, robot.  (Read 1224 times)

Rhiannon

I, robot.
« on: February 12, 2017, 10:06:04 AM »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/1R7Bf9rZJyVmFwmXcdNmdHq/seven-sci-fi-predictions-about-robots-that-came-true

Really interesting. I'm wondering (or dreaming) if it is a possibility that giving work to AI could be tied into the idea of people being given a basic amount to live in and therefore being free to pursue things that are more fulfilling than their day jobs - volunteering, arts, conservation work etc.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
Re: I, robot.
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2017, 10:14:33 AM »
I think that's a bit utopian but the basic amount of income is almost inevitable since it seems likely there won't be anywhere near enough jobs. I don't think that then people will necessarily easily adjust to 'more fulfilling' things. It also means that we need to completly rejig taxation and that isn't going to be easy.

Rhiannon

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2017, 10:22:53 AM »
Yes, I agree with that. When it comes to 'more fulfilling' I guess it depends on what people are moving on from - I once had an office job that was completely mind numbing, with the added bonus of a commute on the tube. Adjusting to not doing that wasn't hard.

On a different note, I love this.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=dKnKgEaIDuM

Udayana

• βε ηερε νοω
    • The Byrds - My Back Pages
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2017, 02:45:04 PM »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/1R7Bf9rZJyVmFwmXcdNmdHq/seven-sci-fi-predictions-about-robots-that-came-true

Really interesting. I'm wondering (or dreaming) if it is a possibility that giving work to AI could be tied into the idea of people being given a basic amount to live in and therefore being free to pursue things that are more fulfilling than their day jobs - volunteering, arts, conservation work etc.

It's a nice idea, all work being done by machines, humans left free to pursue fulfilling interests but it just can't happen given the energy resources required and effect on global warming. Possibly if we found an abundant source of clean energy, fusion or better capture of solar say.   

The idea of universal basic income seems wonderful too - every person gets enough basic wage to live happily without working, people work for their own interests and enjoyment or extras. But humans don't seem able to tolerate such an environment. It's not so much what you have or don't have, but how much more you have than the rest. My guess is that inflation would wipe out any parity almost immediately. We will have to see what happens in Finland and other areas experimenting with this.

Ah, but I was so much older then ... I'm younger than that now

Jack Knave

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2017, 07:26:57 PM »

You haven't seen Terminator? The robots don't need us!

Jack Knave

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2017, 07:34:35 PM »
It's a nice idea, all work being done by machines, humans left free to pursue fulfilling interests but it just can't happen given the energy resources required and effect on global warming. Possibly if we found an abundant source of clean energy, fusion or better capture of solar say.   

The idea of universal basic income seems wonderful too - every person gets enough basic wage to live happily without working, people work for their own interests and enjoyment or extras. But humans don't seem able to tolerate such an environment. It's not so much what you have or don't have, but how much more you have than the rest. My guess is that inflation would wipe out any parity almost immediately. We will have to see what happens in Finland and other areas experimenting with this.
What inflation?

As for 'tolerating the environment' it is obvious that the robots wouldn't do all the jobs but people would be able to take one up if they so chose.

Udayana

• βε ηερε νοω
    • The Byrds - My Back Pages
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2017, 08:40:32 PM »
Inflation: Those with jobs or control over resources and industry will outbid everyone on a basic wage for goods and services and then monopolise them.

Tolerating the environment: Humans seem unable to live in societies where everyone has equal status with equitable distribution of goods/wealth. Most of us left hunter gatherer lifestyles millennia ago, since then it has been about building hierarchies. 

On second thoughts, maybe it is best to focus on developing an independent AI that can find solutions to all our issues, and putting it in control.
Ah, but I was so much older then ... I'm younger than that now

Jack Knave

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2017, 07:01:17 PM »
Inflation: Those with jobs or control over resources and industry will outbid everyone on a basic wage for goods and services and then monopolise them.

Tolerating the environment: Humans seem unable to live in societies where everyone has equal status with equitable distribution of goods/wealth. Most of us left hunter gatherer lifestyles millennia ago, since then it has been about building hierarchies. 

On second thoughts, maybe it is best to focus on developing an independent AI that can find solutions to all our issues, and putting it in control.
What is the point of monopolising commerce if you out do everyone out of a job or decent wages? Who's going to buy your goods? What'll happen is that a sub-culture, black market, whatever will grow up subvert these elites and/or some form of revolution or violence against them.

People seem to tolerate some reasonable level of unequitability if they see that the person has earned it by some noble means. In the end what seems to keep them happy is a narrative about their lives and their "tribe" or society's meaning and worth.

The solution that an AI would come up with would be to terminate all the humans, as they seem to be the ones who cause all the problems in the first place.