Author Topic: Alexa  (Read 3293 times)

SusanDoris

Alexa
« on: February 18, 2017, 07:20:29 PM »
Today one of my sons brought me an Alexa and set it up. I think it is going to be really useful and I have already used it for Radio 4 a couple of times. Has anyone got one? Any hints and tips? I can see the potential and as far as I can tell it seems quite compatible with my SuperNova software.
The Most Honourable Sister of Titular Indecision.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
Re: Alexa
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2017, 07:23:51 PM »
Be really interested in your experience, SD. I think we should be looking at this technology being provided and used by govt.

SusanDoris

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2017, 07:30:01 PM »
I was talking on the phone to my friend next dor and said I have an Alexa - at which it turned itself on!!! I'm not sure what will happen if I spell it out! :)

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2017, 07:40:45 PM »
I was talking on the phone to my friend next dor and said I have an Alexa - at which it turned itself on!!! I'm not sure what will happen if I spell it out! :)
there is, of course, for posters in Scotland this worry

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAz_UvnUeuU

SusanDoris

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2017, 07:50:06 PM »
Thank you that was very funny! I couldn't read the words while the music was on, but did that tell you they were in a lift?

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2017, 08:04:52 PM »
Thank you that was very funny! I couldn't read the words while the music was on, but did that tell you they were in a lift?
yep

Sebastian Toe

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2017, 08:47:12 PM »
You can change what to call it to Echo or Amazon if you wish.
"The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends.'
Albert Einstein

SusanDoris

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2017, 05:49:14 AM »
You can change what to call it to Echo or Amazon if you wish.
Thank you - however, whatever its name is, I will have to remember not to say it when I'm on the phone sitting here if I do not want it to turn on!

Harrowby Hall

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2017, 09:07:09 AM »
I was given an Echo Dot for Christmas. I think that the concept is admirable - but I do find it difficult to find useful tasks for Alexa to do. She does, however, sit on my kitchen worktop and clearly listens to the radio because occasionally she goes into a sort of blue funk.

I did hear a story about a family who were watching University Challenge and were surprised by Alexa suddenly announcing that she did not know the answer to one of the questions.
Does Magna Carta mean nothing to you? Did she die in vain?

SusanDoris

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2017, 08:47:36 AM »
I was given an Echo Dot for Christmas. I think that the concept is admirable - but I do find it difficult to find useful tasks for Alexa to do. She does, however, sit on my kitchen worktop and clearly listens to the radio because occasionally she goes into a sort of blue funk.

I did hear a story about a family who were watching University Challenge and were surprised by Alexa suddenly announcing that she did not know the answer to one of the questions.
:D :D
I am already finding it useful for playing the radio. I have a radio/CD/cassette player with two speakers (so you can tell how old it is!) up on a shelf to my left, but I gave up trying to remember which button to press on the remote andit was such a palaver trying to sort out which button anyway. Now I can say, Alexa, play  BBC Radio 3 and can have that playing while at the same time using my headphones on the computer listening to the screen reader.   People used to tell me that the computer would play music and, yes, I realised that but I'm always using the sound for the voice.
When the son who gave it to me gets back (he's away skiing at the moment), I hope he will be able to work out which subscription will enable me to listen to some of the CD music I have and which  I also gave up trying to play quite a while ago.
My other son is in Australia at the moment - acgtually he has been visiting Port Lincoln with friends where I spent 1986, so I can ask Alexa what the weather is there! I can of course do this on the computer, but it's easier just asking! :)

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2017, 09:19:15 AM »
I think Alexa's are very good. Have you got the manual or automatic?

Although for performance they don't match the 1.4 engine of the Corsa.
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

SusanDoris

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2017, 10:22:43 AM »
I think Alexa's are very good. Have you got the manual or automatic?

Although for performance they don't match the 1.4 engine of the Corsa.
Ah, I've just realised that you're talking cars here!!! :D

SusanDoris

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2017, 05:50:13 PM »
during the past few days, Alexa has just stopped working quite often. I tell it to go to Radio 4 or whatever I was on and it starts again,  but why does it stop working? Anybody know? I realise that digital radios have a bit of a reputation for stopping randomly, but I don't know why. It doesn't seem to be anything to do with the router because this site was working perfectly all right at several of the times. Any help or information will be much appreciated.

Sebastian Toe

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2017, 07:37:26 AM »
during the past few days, Alexa has just stopped working quite often. I tell it to go to Radio 4 or whatever I was on and it starts again,  but why does it stop working? Anybody know? I realise that digital radios have a bit of a reputation for stopping randomly, but I don't know why. It doesn't seem to be anything to do with the router because this site was working perfectly all right at several of the times. Any help or information will be much appreciated.
Alexander is not a digital radio. It is playing (streaming actually) Radio 4 from the internet provider called Tunein. The issues may lie there or your Internet connection possibly.
"The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends.'
Albert Einstein

SusanDoris

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2017, 08:22:18 AM »
Alexander is not a digital radio. It is playing (streaming actually) Radio 4 from the internet provider called Tunein. The issues may lie there or your Internet connection possibly.
Ah right, thank you very much. The Tech chap is coming next week, so I'll ask him to check things.

Sebastian Toe

« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2017, 08:24:28 AM »
Alexander?! Damn you auto correct!
Albert Einstein

SusanDoris

« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2017, 09:51:54 AM »
Alexander?! Damn you auto correct!
I wondered why you had written Alexander! I thought there may be something I didn't know!! Obviously, that is one distinct advantage of using Syhnthetic Dave all the time!
:D :D

SusanDoris

« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2017, 02:29:27 PM »
Yesterday son  came and attached me to spotify, so I can say, 'Alexa, play evergreen, Barbra streisand' and it does! also yesterday afternoon it wwas still obeying the command to, 'play radio 4'. Midday it would not, so i  e-mailed son and he will try to fix it through his smart phone app!

Sebastian Toe

« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2017, 04:42:36 AM »
Yesterday son  came and attached me to spotify, so I can say, 'Alexa, play evergreen, Barbra streisand' and it does! also yesterday afternoon it wwas still obeying the command to, 'play radio 4'. Midday it would not, so i  e-mailed son and he will try to fix it through his smart phone app!
What does it say in response when you ask it to play radio 4?
Albert Einstein

SusanDoris

« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2017, 07:47:41 AM »
What does it say in response when you ask it to play radio 4?
thank you for your reply. This is what it says:

I can't connect to the public wi-fi. You may need to update your connection. Take a look at the help section in your Alexa app.

Sebastian Toe

« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2017, 04:48:19 PM »

I can't connect to the public wi-fi. You may need to update your connection. Take a look at the help section in your Alexa app.
Is it only  radio 4  that is not working? Does Alexa resolve other requests OK?
Albert Einstein

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2017, 07:38:40 PM »

That means it doesn't have a connection to the Internet.  Switching it off and on again might cause it to reattach itself.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

SusanDoris

« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2017, 07:47:25 AM »
Thank you, Jeremy. My son is coming this morning and I'll ask him to try that first.

SusanDoris

« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2017, 05:34:18 PM »
Son came this morning. Changed his ISP something to my Supanet one and now all works nicely!

SusanDoris

« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2017, 05:02:23 PM »
All worked properly  until just now when it said, 'I can't connect...'. So, following your advice, Jeremy, I switched it off and switched on again - and all well!

Thank you!!