Author Topic: Eye watering conservation.......  (Read 1074 times)

Anchorman

• Maranatha!
"for, as long as but a hundred of us remain alive, never will we on any conditions be brought under English rule. It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Robbie

Re: Eye watering conservation.......
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2017, 05:00:24 PM »
A good thing Mr...man.
I like animals and have had a few pets: cat, dog, rabbit, hamster, tortoise.
Think neutering is good.
No-ones being cruel here but pragmatic.
True Wit is Nature to Advantage drest,
          What oft was Thought, but ne’er so well Exprest

Anchorman

• Maranatha!
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2017, 05:07:46 PM »
I was a wee bit tongue in cheek there! Actually, I'm 100% in favour of rewilding Scotland, which means the return of more native Caledonian pine forest at the expense of the artificial grouse and pheasant shooting estates, and deer stalking moors. Only then will wildcat return in numbers (along with capercaillie and pine martin) to the centre and south of the country, rather than just the remnants to which they are confined. If that means neutering - even exterminating - feral cats and getting rid ov the overpopulation of red deer, then that's the way it needs to go,. Some conservators started a campaign to reintroduce the beaver - and it has now been declared a native species. Next stop, the lynx - with any luck!
"for, as long as but a hundred of us remain alive, never will we on any conditions be brought under English rule. It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Bubbles

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2017, 05:20:30 AM »
I was a wee bit tongue in cheek there! Actually, I'm 100% in favour of rewilding Scotland, which means the return of more native Caledonian pine forest at the expense of the artificial grouse and pheasant shooting estates, and deer stalking moors. Only then will wildcat return in numbers (along with capercaillie and pine martin) to the centre and south of the country, rather than just the remnants to which they are confined. If that means neutering - even exterminating - feral cats and getting rid ov the overpopulation of red deer, then that's the way it needs to go,. Some conservators started a campaign to reintroduce the beaver - and it has now been declared a native species. Next stop, the lynx - with any luck!

And the 🐺 wolf, but I draw the line at bears 🐻

Rhiannon

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2017, 08:46:21 AM »
My dog still wonders if he'll get his balls back every time we go to the vet.

Anchorman

• Maranatha!
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2017, 09:16:40 AM »
I'd like to see the wolf reintroduced eventually, Rose - if only to control the red deer population. Red deer are destructive - they're native forest dwellers and strip the bark from trees. Because of overpopulation and deer shooting estates, they have swelled in numbers, but because they don't have the natural stress of the prey animal, the quality of the stock has declined. Lynx would certainly keep them on the move whilst at the same time reducing rthe number of fawns each spring - but wolves would be a hard act to introduce.

Robbie

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2017, 01:50:31 PM »
Deer=venison which many like (I don't but who cares). Used to hate the idea of deer hunting but not so much now if deer enjoy a decent life for a while and are killed expertly. Better than abbatoir.
I feed wild cats & lynx in garden, they look pretty at night by moonlight along with badgers and in the trees are eagles. Hoping for deer and the odd wolf.
PS forgot to mention unicorns.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 04:29:15 PM by Robinson »
True Wit is Nature to Advantage drest,
          What oft was Thought, but ne’er so well Exprest