Author Topic: Humans and Machines  (Read 1332 times)

Sriram

• Spirituality & Science
Humans and Machines
« on: March 09, 2017, 12:27:35 PM »
Hi everyone,

With the increase in involvement of machines in our lives  what seems disturbing is ....how to differentiate us from machines.

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20170309-the-last-things-that-will-make-us-uniquely-human

Driving once seemed to be a very human skill. But we said that about chess, too. Then a computer beat the human world champion, repeatedly. The strategy board game Go took over from chess as the litmus test for human thinking; until 2016, when a computer bested one of the world’s leading professional Go players. IBM’s Watson aced Jeopardy – another supposedly human domain – in 2011, and is now dividing its time between identifying cancerous moles and cooking up creative recipes, among other things.

With computers conquering what used to be deeply human tasks – those that require knowledge, strategy, even creativity – what will it mean in the future to be human?

Actually, it all comes down to a fairly simple question: What’s so special about us, and what’s our lasting value? It can’t be skills like arithmetic or typing, which machines already excel in. Nor can it be rationality, because with all our biases and emotions we humans are lacking.

So perhaps we might want to consider qualities at a different end of the spectrum: radical creativity, irrational originality, even a dose of plain illogical craziness, instead of hard-nosed logic. A bit of Kirk instead of Spock. So far, machines have a pretty hard time emulating these qualities: the crazy leaps of faith, arbitrary enough to not be predicted by a bot, and yet more than simple randomness. Their struggle is our opportunity.

I am not suggesting we give up on reason, logic, and critical thinking. In fact, precisely because I think so highly of the values we associate with rationality and enlightenment do I believe we might want to celebrate a bit of the opposite.

If I am right, we should foster a creative spirit, irreverent takes, even irrational ideas as we educate our children. Not because irrationality is bliss, but because a dose of illogical creativity will complement the rationality of the machine. It’ll keep guaranteeing us a place on the table of evolution.

But most of all we need to keep the long-term perspective in mind: that even if computers will outsmart us, we can still be the most creative act in town, if we embrace creativity as one of the defining values of humanness.

We better start now. Because when the existence and purpose of humanity is at stake, focusing on partisan politics and the social media outpourings of the US president is little more than rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic.

So...there is some value for irrationality after all!!!   That is what makes us human....and will probably take us further. 

(I always knew there was something fishy about pure rationality!) ;)

Cheers.

Sriram

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
Re: Humans and Machines
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2017, 02:10:05 PM »
My cat is irrational, if that is what 'makes us human' , my cat is human.

Udayana

• βε ηερε νοω
    • The Byrds - My Back Pages
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2017, 03:59:32 PM »
This assumes that machines will not be creative. There is no answer to the "simple" question:  "What’s so special about us, and what’s our lasting value?"

No-one (or no-thing) is ever guaranteed a "place on the table of evolution". How would they be?

Maybe it is "spirituality" he wants rather than emotional irrationality? Will machines develop spirituality? It might be a side effect of creativity.
Ah, but I was so much older then ... I'm younger than that now

Sriram

• Spirituality & Science
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2017, 07:32:40 AM »

Hi everyone,

Human emotions are not entirely the 'irrational', cumbersome, distracting and unstable nuisance that many rational people consider it to be. If uncontrolled, some of our emotions can be dysfunctional.

However, large parts of our Human emotions can be a highly developed system of communication, response and even collecting information.  Much of our intuition, Sub/Unconsciousness mind are linked to our emotions.   

Some people have compared our emotional side to a parallel processing computer while our rational side is compared to a sequential processing computer. In other words, if our emotional side is controlled and tapped correctly it can be far more powerful than our rational mind.

Cheers.

Sriram

Bubbles

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2017, 07:57:56 AM »
My cat is irrational, if that is what 'makes us human' , my cat is human.

It's probably only irrational to you, because you are not a cat!

🐆

Udayana

• βε ηερε νοω
    • The Byrds - My Back Pages
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2017, 10:56:52 AM »
Some people have compared our emotional side to a parallel processing computer while our rational side is compared to a sequential processing computer. In other words, if our emotional side is controlled and tapped correctly it can be far more powerful than our rational mind.

Yeah, sounds as if we needn't worry about being replaced by machines as we are machines already.
Ah, but I was so much older then ... I'm younger than that now