Author Topic: Man and God  (Read 2426 times)

Sriram

• Spirituality & Science
Man and God
« on: March 12, 2017, 07:03:53 AM »
Hi everyone,

People usually think of God as someone external, supernatural and far away. But spiritual teachings (particularly in Hinduism) teach that God is an extension of man and that man is meant to develop into a God. Once we focus on our higher faculties we ourselves become divine and godlike.

In this connection, the example of Lord Shiva is important.  Lord Shiva is the oldest and most ancient 'God' in Hindu mythology. Stories about him have evolved over the centuries borrowing from different legends, texts and myths and it is still evolving.

Shiva is not really a God who lives in some celestial abode. He is believed to live in the Himalayas in Mt.Kailas and is said  to be the Adiyogi or the First Yogi. The science of Yoga is believed to have originated from him.  There are many stories of him doing penance and meditations. His power and knowledge emanates from his self discipline and penance.

In other words, Shiva was once a man who developed his inner consciousness and became a God!

It is possible for others also to similarly develop their inner consciousness and grow into wise, knowledgeable, strong and universal beings.

God is within and we only need to realize this fact and allow 'him' to grow inside us by moving away from our inborn lower tendencies.

Just some thoughts.

Cheers.

Sriram

PS: This is not really about Hinduism, so I have posted it here.

floo

Re: Man and God
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2017, 11:15:50 AM »
I am of the opinion humans are the only 'gods' in our bit of the universe.

SweetPea

• John 8:32
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2017, 04:55:55 PM »
Steady there, floo..... "we are all gods" is new age speak and a deception. But I know what you mean, we are capable of so much.
For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power and of love and of a sound mind ~ 2 Timothy 1:7

SweetPea

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2017, 05:03:52 PM »
Sriram

Yes, God lives within us.... "Be still and know that I am God". It's true, a calming of the torment of the mind brings us to that place, and it is always there.... something that no-one can take from you. It seems it gains a sort-of strength if you can practice this calming whenever possible which ain't easy in today's world and the lives we lead.
For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power and of love and of a sound mind ~ 2 Timothy 1:7

Rhiannon

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2017, 05:39:43 PM »
Floo is many things. New Age she is not.

Sriram

• Spirituality & Science
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2017, 05:49:52 AM »
Sriram

Yes, God lives within us.... "Be still and know that I am God". It's true, a calming of the torment of the mind brings us to that place, and it is always there.... something that no-one can take from you. It seems it gains a sort-of strength if you can practice this calming whenever possible which ain't easy in today's world and the lives we lead.

Yeah....I find that we can use all opportunities to calm our mind and connect with our Inner Self. While playing with a child, putting a baby to sleep, driving, listening to music, even while watching TV.  Its a technique that we can cultivate.

floo

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2017, 09:04:56 AM »

And what things are those?

Walter

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2017, 10:32:09 AM »
Floo is a chimney stack.

Rhiannon

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2017, 11:26:59 AM »
And what things are those?

Generally I'd say you were a brick, in the Enid Blyton sense of the word.

Definitely not a new age fluffy bunny.

Robbie

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2017, 02:38:24 PM »
I'm of the opinion that we have God within us. It isn't exactly what Siriam has said but there are points of comparison.
True Wit is Nature to Advantage drest,
          What oft was Thought, but ne’er so well Exprest

Sriram

• Spirituality & Science
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2017, 05:03:05 AM »
I'm of the opinion that we have God within us. It isn't exactly what Siriam has said but there are points of comparison.

Hi Robbie,

How do you conceptualize or even relate to God within if not as a Higher Consciousness or a Higher Self? 

Robbie

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2017, 06:59:29 AM »
Morning Sriam, i do relate to God as higher being/consciousness. God is within all of us & is what makes our consciences. To find God and be in communion isn't stragihtforward for all. If life is chaotic it means finding time to be still. (Not very clear, sorry just woken up.)

floo

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2017, 09:10:48 AM »
Morning Sriam, i do relate to God as higher being/consciousness. God is within all of us & is what makes our consciences. To find God and be in communion isn't stragihtforward for all. If life is chaotic it means finding time to be still. (Not very clear, sorry just woken up.)

The god of the Bible was very nasty indeed, if it exists; it would not be a good idea to let it influence our consciences! :o

Robbie

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2017, 10:40:34 AM »
Not relevant as no-one was talking about "the God of the Bible". It was mroe general than that.
Robbie

floo

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2017, 01:24:53 PM »
Not relevant as no-one was talking about "the God of the Bible". It was mroe general than that.
Robbie

I thought you were! ::)

Robbie

« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2017, 02:53:03 PM »
O.K. no worries.

Sriram

• Spirituality & Science
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2017, 04:06:53 PM »
O.K. no worries.

Hi Robbie,

People do think of the 'conscience' as God's voice. But I am not so sure. Our conscience is usually built over our life time and is based on our upbringing, value system and culture.  For example, for me to kill a goat or chicken would be impossible. But for a butcher or even a hardcore non vegetarian, it wouldn't be.

From my experience, I think God's presence is felt usually as more of a support, a hand on the shoulder, a sudden moment of peace and faith.....and so on.

Walter

« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2017, 04:12:38 PM »

Hi Robbie,

People do think of the 'conscience' as God's voice. But I am not so sure. Our conscience is usually built over our life time and is based on our upbringing, value system and culture.  For example, for me to kill a goat or chicken would be impossible. But for a butcher or even a hardcore non vegetarian, it wouldn't be.

From my experience, I think God's presence is felt usually as more of a support, a hand on the shoulder, a sudden moment of peace and faith.....and so on.
WHAT?
That's just creepy , man!

stop with the bad vibes

SweetPea

« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2017, 04:52:42 PM »

I know floo is not a new-ager, Rhi.... I didn't say she was.... read my post again.

Robbie

« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2017, 04:56:30 PM »
An i'nformed conscience', siriam?  Yes I would agree but i'm talking about mature conscience, when we leave behind those things it is a different ball game.

That's where christianity comes into it for me. 

◄ 1 Corinthians 13:11 ►

(New International Version)
When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put the ways of childhood behind me.

floo

« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2017, 04:57:21 PM »
I am just me, the mould was broken when I emerged into this world. ;D

SweetPea

« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2017, 05:01:12 PM »

Hi Robbie,

I'm sure Robbie will reply to your comment. Just wanted to say.... God for me is partly the inner-voice we call intuition which reaches us through the Holy Spirit.

SweetPea

« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2017, 05:03:08 PM »
I am just me, the mould was broken when I emerged into this world. ;D

It's good floo.... not to have any 'attachments'.

Robbie

« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2017, 07:45:09 PM »
I'm sure Robbie will reply to your comment. Just wanted to say.... God for me is partly the inner-voice we call intuition which reaches us through the Holy Spirit.

I already did at 4.56pm