Author Topic: Sea slugs and maths  (Read 1282 times)

Nearly Sane

• Administrator

Walter

Re: Sea slugs and maths
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2017, 01:40:29 PM »
Enjoyable article

https://aeon.co/essays/theres-more-maths-in-slugs-and-corals-than-we-can-think-of
you're right, very interesting.
I wish stuff like that had been available when I studied A level pure maths and mechanics instead of being trapped in a dusty old chapel extension which doubled as a class room .

Udayana

• βε ηερε νοω
    • The Byrds - My Back Pages
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2017, 03:21:17 PM »
She probably thinks smoking fags behind the bike sheds counts as "doing maths" as well. Why bother with studying or A levels?
Ah, but I was so much older then ... I'm younger than that now

Walter

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2017, 03:29:14 PM »
She probably thinks smoking fags behind the bike sheds counts as "doing maths" as well. Why bother with studying or A levels?
why indeed?

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2017, 03:31:54 PM »

To quote
'This doesn’t invalidate what goes on in university classrooms or academic textbooks, since society needs professional mathematicians who can work with symbols, people such as Fourier and Bernhard Riemann who developed the maths that assists us to make cellphone calls, or determine the structure of the cosmos, and so much else besides.'

So no.

Udayana

• βε ηερε νοω
    • The Byrds - My Back Pages
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2017, 04:47:48 PM »
Ah ... I see, it's to show people that don't do maths, how clever they are in doing maths without knowing anything about it ... in order to get them to pay some attention to actual maths ?

Ah, but I was so much older then ... I'm younger than that now

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2017, 04:59:55 PM »
Ah ... I see, it's to show people that don't do maths, how clever they are in doing maths without knowing anything about it ... in order to get them to pay some attention to actual maths ?

No. I  doubt anyone who isn't at base interested in the subject is going to read through an article covering Gauss, Feynman and tesselation. I think it's arguing that some applied maths can be fone by observation of how things work, and mo zo don't think that is radical but i think it is contextually well put with an interesting set of connections. It may give people an idea as to how you might get people interested in maths bit i suspect that would be a by product.

Walter

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2017, 04:19:55 PM »
No. I  doubt anyone who isn't at base interested in the subject is going to read through an article covering Gauss, Feynman and tesselation. I think it's arguing that some applied maths can be fone by observation of how things work, and mo zo don't think that is radical but i think it is contextually well put with an interesting set of connections. It may give people an idea as to how you might get people interested in maths bit i suspect that would be a by product.
now I'm agreeing with you again , what the......?