Author Topic: Lost for words  (Read 11808 times)

floo

Re: Lost for words
« Reply #125 on: March 27, 2017, 06:32:58 PM »
Then you would be wrong. But why would you care, you think such people's suicide would be fine.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013/10/29/bbc-licence-fee_n_4163939.html

Have any licence fee evaders attempted suicide in prison?

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #126 on: March 27, 2017, 06:37:00 PM »
Have any licence fee evaders attempted suicide in prison?
You defined people in prison as baddies and that their suicide is a good thing.

floo

« Reply #127 on: March 27, 2017, 06:41:54 PM »
You defined people in prison as baddies and that their suicide is a good thing.

I was rather OTT, :-[ but where paedophiles, murderers and other perpetrators of very serious crimes are concerned, the world is certainly better off without them polluting it.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #128 on: March 27, 2017, 06:44:39 PM »
I was rather OTT, :-[ but where paedophiles, murderers and other perpetrators of very serious crimes are concerned, the world is certainly better off without them polluting it.
So you get to decide which people are bad and who are bad fire very.  Mmm how godlike!

floo

« Reply #129 on: March 27, 2017, 06:45:34 PM »
So you get to decide which people are bad and who are bad fire very.  Mmm how godlike!

YAWN!

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #130 on: March 27, 2017, 06:46:30 PM »

Robbie

« Reply #131 on: March 27, 2017, 06:50:03 PM »
Is dyslexia on the NHS. My daughter and grandson have it, they certainly haven't received treatment for it.

Dyslexia isn't an illness. Dyslexics have to interpret words in a different way to the rest of us & are usually of above average intelligence. It's well recognised now and there are degrees of dyslexia.Teachers are trained how to help people with this difference.
-----
The article shows that non-payment of fines incurred for not paying a TV licence can result in a custodial sentence. Ridiculous when prisons are overflowing already! If a person cannot afford a licence the chances are they can't afford fines.

Many people attempt suicide in prison floo,some succeed. Young offenders are particularly vulnerable and see suicide as the only way out. Not everyone in prison is a dangerous criminal and they are frequently bullied and attacked by those who are.You can't seriously be glad to hear of these people committing suicide,might not care about a serial killer but not some poor soul who has made a mistake!

So I would be glad for anything that relieves fear and tension, also it makes life smoother for the staff.

Speaking specifically about genfera reassignment, it's a long process. I'dtrust the NHS guidelines more than the private ones. It's possible to have part private and part NHS, like paying for consultations & some investigations then the consultant put them on their NHS list for surgery.

Chances are if a prisoner starts the process whilst in prison they would be released before surgery.
True Wit is Nature to Advantage drest,
          What oft was Thought, but ne’er so well Exprest

wigginhall

« Reply #132 on: March 27, 2017, 07:20:48 PM »
Yes, it is a gradual treatment.   It's not as if a guy pops along to the doctor and says, I feel like a woman, and the doctor says, right, here are some hormone blockers, and we can book you in for surgery next month.   It takes years, partly to monitor how serious the person is, and how it manifests itself.   I think in fact, that many people never reach the stage of surgery, but are able to adapt in different ways.   

It does raise many interesting questions about sex and gender, and if they are fixed biologically, or socially determined.   However, that discussion tends to take about a jillion pages. 

I forgot to say that there are also people who see themselves as genderqueer or genderfluid, and I doubt if they ever see a doctor, although they may see therapists and counsellors.   (I used to work with Pink Therapy who deal with LGBT+ people).
« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 07:28:46 PM by wigginhall »
They were the footprints of a gigantic hound!

Robbie

« Reply #133 on: March 27, 2017, 07:32:26 PM »
"I think in fact, that many people never reach the stage of surgery, but are able to adapt in different ways."

Yes they certainly do.
It's right that gender reassignment it's a long process and multidisciplinary. It's so drastic!
True Wit is Nature to Advantage drest,
          What oft was Thought, but ne’er so well Exprest

wigginhall

« Reply #134 on: March 27, 2017, 07:56:21 PM »
It reminds me that the old slogan for dealing with trans people, especially children, was 'insistent, consistent, persistent'.  In other words, this is when you take it seriously, and not as a passing phase, when kids are icp.    Many children like to experiment with gender stuff, and there are also all kinds of gender variations, which are not trans.   I don't know whether this slogan is still used or not.  Another slogan was that gender doesn't lie between the legs, but between the ears, but this gets us into all the controversy about biology, psychology, and social effects.
They were the footprints of a gigantic hound!