Author Topic: Lost for words  (Read 11881 times)

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
Re: Lost for words
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2017, 11:45:08 AM »
I think adorientum's post deserves some attention, we've stated how we feel about sniggering etc but sniggering apart, if someone is pretending to be what they are nto in order to be able to commit abuse, its a diffrent matter algtogether & that was the point of the op.

The first paragraph in his post is fine it's the second that is causing the issue. Until he demonstrates that he understands the issue that will preclude any useful discussion.

ad_orientem

« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2017, 11:47:34 AM »
The first paragraph in his post is fine it's the second that is causing the issue. Until he demonstrates that he understands the issue that will preclude any useful discussion.

I cannot change my mind because I find something inherently seedy about the whole thing, hence the comment about running a mile.
Peace through superior firepower.
Do not believe anything until the Kremlin denies it.

wigginhall

« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2017, 11:48:10 AM »
Believe what the bloody hell you want, pal! It makes not one jot of difference to me.

Yes, I know.  I'm sure you are indifferent to the presence on this forum of people who are not your ideal of straight white males, or whatever it is, so you continue to pour out your bigotry.   Who care about anyone else, as long as you get to spread your hatred?
They were the footprints of a gigantic hound!

floo

« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2017, 11:48:27 AM »
Believe what the bloody hell you want, pal! It makes not one jot of difference to me.

You horrible little person, your religion is a SHAM, it certainly has not benefitted you at all! >:(

wigginhall

« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2017, 11:49:08 AM »
It's Christian love, Floo. 
They were the footprints of a gigantic hound!

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2017, 11:50:11 AM »
I cannot change my mind because I find something inherently seedy about the whole thing, hence the comment about running a mile.
I was referring to you seem to regret that you can't call people perverts, nonces and weirdos any more.

floo

« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2017, 11:52:06 AM »
It's Christian love, Floo.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

ad_orientem

« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2017, 11:52:52 AM »
I was referring to you seem to regret that you can't call people perverts, nonces and weirdos any more.

That's what they are in common lingo.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2017, 11:56:14 AM »

By sniggering children. Grow up. Read Anchorman's post in reply to your's and think about it.

JP

« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2017, 11:57:24 AM »

This thread and subject matter apart, you cannot call anyone a pervert?
How can something so perfect be so flawed.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2017, 11:59:20 AM »
This thread and subject matter apart, you cannot call anyone a pervert?

Except that the thread and what is on it is the point.

Anchorman

• Maranatha!
« Reply #36 on: March 22, 2017, 12:00:36 PM »
- Seriously, ad-o, as Christians, we should realise that this 'common lingo' has nothing to recommend it. It's the kind of trash the Westbro Baptists spout. I sincerley pray your Christian conviction has nothing of that about it!
"for, as long as but a hundred of us remain alive, never will we on any conditions be brought under English rule. It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

floo

« Reply #37 on: March 22, 2017, 12:03:36 PM »
- Seriously, ad-o, as Christians, we should realise that this 'common lingo' has nothing to recommend it. It's the kind of trash the Westbro Baptists spout. I sincerley pray your Christian conviction has nothing of that about it!

I think ad-o is an unpleasant bigot who would fit well in with the Westbro Baptist mob. >:(

Robbie

« Reply #38 on: March 22, 2017, 12:06:07 PM »

Quite right; lets see if he comes back withnanything. I dont think he does understand, really, but wanted to give him benefit ofndoubt.
True Wit is Nature to Advantage drest,
          What oft was Thought, but ne’er so well Exprest

Anchorman

• Maranatha!
« Reply #39 on: March 22, 2017, 12:14:31 PM »
I think ad-o is an unpleasant bigot who would fit well in with the Westbro Baptist mob. >:(

-
I don't accept that, floo.
"for, as long as but a hundred of us remain alive, never will we on any conditions be brought under English rule. It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

JP

« Reply #40 on: March 22, 2017, 12:24:31 PM »
Except that the thread and what is on it is the point.

But you said....

When I read that it suggests otherwise, like you cannot use those terms ever. Nowhere do you suggest it is just related to this thread.
How can something so perfect be so flawed.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #41 on: March 22, 2017, 12:24:46 PM »

-

Nor do I. So is there a way to talk about the subject without sniggering, without expressing random disgust for groups of people. ?

One thing that should be picked up on is the part of the link where the victim of the  rapist expresses her problems with this. It is not just a matter of bigots and it's a shame if we cannot hold a civil discussion on this. There are plenty of feminists I know who would speak out against thus move, and yet as also evidenced by the link, suicide has happened.

I think we need to split thus up into some constituent parts. First of all the question of how approach transgender peooks, and if we are going to start from a position that they are perverts, nonces and weirdos, it's going to be a short discussion.

Secondly what happens in general for a transgender person in the prison system, do we treat them differently from someone outside the system or the same?

Thirdly are there certain offences, such as rape, that over and above any answer tontge second question afferct what we have as policy?

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #42 on: March 22, 2017, 12:29:57 PM »
But you said....

When I read that it suggests otherwise, like you cannot use those terms ever. Nowhere do you suggest it is just related to this thread.
Context is all here. I replied to Ad_o where he indicates that he used to call a set of people perverts, nonces and weirdos. The implication seems yo be that he is sad that he cannot now. Following on from that we have Anchorman's brave post pointing out the effect of people using terms in a careless fashion which is bullying.

So no generalised statement from me about what should be the use of those terms.

floo

« Reply #43 on: March 22, 2017, 12:34:33 PM »

-

You are a kind person.

ad_orientem

« Reply #44 on: March 22, 2017, 12:44:08 PM »

My point was that we already had an apt description of the type of person referred to in my link. It describes exactly what they are. A rapist who's had a sex change and who has been moved to women's prison. Such is no better than a nonce. And to top it all it's all done at the taxpayers expence.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #45 on: March 22, 2017, 12:54:19 PM »
My point was that we already had an apt description of the type of person referred to in my link. It describes exactly what they are. A rapist who's had a sex change and who has been moved to women's prison. Such is no better than a nonce. And to top it all it's all done at the taxpayers expence.

Actually, your post isn't clear as it seems to imply that you regard all transgender people as 'perverts', did you mean that?

Further I think Anchorman regards such labelling as against his Christianity, and his view of Jesus would not be using words like pervert, nonce, or weirdo about people. In addition, given from his post about his own situation. It's clear that such name calling and bullying is something he has suffered, I take it that you thoroughly condemn this?
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 12:58:09 PM by Nearly Sane »

Walter

« Reply #46 on: March 22, 2017, 01:05:14 PM »
Well done, Jim, on your honesty and bravery.   Come on, Trent, don't let a few pathetic bigots drive you away.   They exist on most forums, but they can be combated.   How truly pathetic to pick on vulnerable people like that.
I wish it to be known it was never my intention to offend anyone . If I have, please accept my most sincere apologies.

Walter.

Anchorman

• Maranatha!
« Reply #47 on: March 22, 2017, 01:08:37 PM »
Actually, your post isn't clear as it seems to imply that you regard all transgender people as 'perverts', did you mean that? Further I think Anchorman regards such labelling as against his Christianity, and his view of Jesus would not be using words like pervert, nonce, or weirdo about people. In addition, given from his post about his own situation. It's clear that such name calling and bullying is something he has suffered, I take it that you thoroughly condemn this?
- No-one in their right mind condones rape - and rapists deserve all the punishment the law dictates. However using this language is a bit judgemental, isn't it? This person has issues we can't even imagine. Yes, he/she's a criminal. But he's also a human being; a human we are commanded to love. We don't have a choice if we are Christian. No-one said it was easy - it isn't. This person needed help; as part of the treatment they would receive the necessary psychological and psychiatric assessment - the operation would not procede without it. Surely if, after such assessment, the experts felt that to give this patient some kind of quality of life, the operation was neceaary, our silly little euphamisms are simply shown as pathetic. [/quote]
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 01:09:50 PM by Nearly Sane »

Owlswing

« Reply #48 on: March 22, 2017, 01:09:23 PM »

I hope you reconsider, TV, you are one of the good guys, unlike some! >:(

Thanks, Floo, at last I have a second reason for leaving, your classing me as one of the bad guys or, at the very least, as not one of the good guys!
The Holy Bible, probably the most diabolical work of fiction ever to be visited upon mankind.

An it harm none, do what you will; an it harm some, do what you must!

ad_orientem

« Reply #49 on: March 22, 2017, 01:14:22 PM »
Actually, your post isn't clear as it seems to imply that you regard all transgender people as 'perverts', did you mean that?

Not necessarily, but it's certainly not my view that sex change operations are the answer. That starts with not referring a man who thinks he's a woman as "she". That also goes for women who think they're men.

Further I think Anchorman regards such labelling as against his Christianity, and his view of Jesus would not be using words like pervert, nonce, or weirdo about people. In addition, given from his post about his own situation. It's clear that such name calling and bullying is something he has suffered, I take it that you thoroughly condemn this?

No, I don't like bullying, but then referring to someone as a pervert doesn't immediately imply bullying. In the case of the person in the link I would say it's an apt description, as with all people of that sort.