Author Topic: Some woo being cut out..  (Read 4269 times)

Rhiannon

Re: Some woo being cut out..
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2017, 05:02:52 PM »
Indeed you can.

Could someone tell me whether the public policy in respect of these drugs does not fall foul of the Equality Act (2010)? Oral contraceptives are prescribed free to women who want to enjoy a sex life without becoming pregnant, but PDE5 inhibitors, for men, are largely available only on private prescription. Surely, this is discriminating on the grounds of sex?

A woman avoiding an unwanted pregnancy benefits both partners. And pregnancy, termination and childbirth are all potentially harmful to the woman.

Contraception is about far more than being able to enjoy sex.

Rhiannon

« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2017, 05:14:42 PM »
There are so many grey areas in this subject that no simple decisions can be made. But I think Floo has a point about those whose first priorities are smoking, drinking, and in many cases animals.

So what are you saying, that people on benefits shouldn't keep animals?  ???

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2017, 05:30:55 PM »
Only the smoking and drinking animals

SusanDoris

« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2017, 06:24:48 PM »
If I had meant that particularly, I'd have said so.
In general terms, there seems to be a feeling that people have a right to smoke, etc. When I was very short of money, I had to budget carefully, not rely on being given things.
I am not going into the subject of benefits etc.
The Most Honourable Sister of Titular Indecision.

Rhiannon

« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2017, 06:26:09 PM »
If I had meant that particularly, I'd have said so.
In general terms, there seems to be a feeling that people have a right to smoke, etc. When I was very short of money, I had to budget carefully, not rely on being given things.
I am not going into the subject of benefits etc.

Fair enough, but I still don't get the mention of animals.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2017, 08:22:56 PM »
Yes! How many people who claim poverty smoke and drink?
How many people who claim poverty don't smoke and drink? Do they deserve to be punished for the actions ofd the ones that do?
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2017, 08:23:27 PM »
Also, children qualify for free prescriptions which I think should also be protected.
How many children smoke and drink....
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2017, 08:24:29 PM »
As the NHS is strapped for cash only meds which you can't buy over the counter should be on prescription
I don't get that logic.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2017, 08:27:41 PM »

The second point I want to make is about a drug which has restored the ability of men to enjoy consensual relations with their wives. Unfortunately, the prurient software which this forum uses censors my attempts to mention it.

Techy note: The filter that prevents you from writing "vi*gra" is nothing to do with the board software. If I had any control over it, it would not be there, believe me.

Bubbles

« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2017, 07:10:58 AM »
-
Though this doesn't apply to Scotland, I'm concerned.
What if the person cannot afford paracetamol yet does not qualify for free prescriptions?

If they buy the paracetamol at Lidl it's about 30p

Bubbles

« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2017, 07:14:25 AM »

Robbie

« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2017, 07:35:01 AM »
Indeed you can.

Could someone tell me whether the public policy in respect of these drugs does not fall foul of the Equality Act (2010)? Oral contraceptives are prescribed free to women who want to enjoy a sex life without becoming pregnant, but PDE5 inhibitors, for men, are largely available only on private prescription. Surely, this is discriminating on the grounds of sex?

PDE5 inhibitors are not contraceptives.Indeed, not using PDE5 inhibitors inhibits conception so no comparison. Same with v i a g r a & c i a l i s.

As Rose said paracetamol can be bought cheaply & GPs tell patients when a drug is cheaper over the counter than on prescription. Antihistamines are another example.

Pain killers are not just paracetamol though, stronger ones are more expensive and if needed should be prescribed.

Regarding people on benefits are there resources for beneftis personnel to visit and check if they smoke & drink or have pets? Documentaries and the likes of the Daily Mail highlight depressed areas where majority are on benefits smoke,drink & own pets but there are plenty of other people who do not fit into that category who desperately need medication.

True Wit is Nature to Advantage drest,
          What oft was Thought, but ne’er so well Exprest

Anchorman

• Maranatha!
« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2017, 09:18:37 AM »
If they buy the paracetamol at Lidl it's about 30p

-
And?
Rose, in all seriousness, I know several situations where a family struggles to find 30p.
"for, as long as but a hundred of us remain alive, never will we on any conditions be brought under English rule. It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Anchorman

• Maranatha!
« Reply #38 on: March 29, 2017, 09:20:46 AM »
Some places it's only 19p

Apparently there isn't much difference. Not enough to pay expensive prices.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/money-saving-tips/11956383/Should-I-spend-1.45-on-branded-painkillers-or-19p-at-the-supermarket.html

-
19p plus bus fare if you don't live in a city and the nearest pharmacist is six miles or more away.
So, at least £6 return, then.
"for, as long as but a hundred of us remain alive, never will we on any conditions be brought under English rule. It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Bubbles

« Reply #39 on: March 29, 2017, 01:12:24 PM »

-
19p plus bus fare if you don't live in a city and the nearest pharmacist is six miles or more away.

I just pick up a packet when I'm going shopping anyway.

I think people on benefits should get a free prescription for them, children too.

I work, so I can afford to buy my own and given a prescription costs me nearly a tenner nowadays.

The chemist near me told me they are obligated to tell customers when things on a prescription cost less over the counter.

Hay fever tablets are cheaper over the counter.

Bubbles

« Reply #40 on: March 29, 2017, 01:16:48 PM »
I've tried alternatives like Manuka honey for healing the skin, but I bought it myself, with the doctors blessing.

People will still be able to try things now and again.

It's just it's not really up to the NHS to prescribe things that don't have a proven track record.

Alternatives are luxuries, really.

Robbie

« Reply #41 on: March 29, 2017, 03:00:29 PM »

-

Things like paracetamol can be bought in corner shops/newsagents and aren't dear. Don't know how much but they aren't as epensive as somewhere, say, like Boots and far cheaper than prescription.

Still I do think everything should be available on prescription, free, if people qualify such as children, elderly and those on benefts. There isn't the manpower available to chekc the reliability of every patient.

Thinking back to the post about treatment for erectile dysfunction contrasting with free contraceptives for women, HRT used not to be free (that may have changed tho doubt it), prescriptions had to be paid for.  Both are non essential but important to patients concerned.  Contraceptives prescribed to women benefit women,men and society in general.

Anchorman

• Maranatha!
« Reply #42 on: March 29, 2017, 03:03:21 PM »
Fortunately, Scotland does not charge for prescribed medicine.

Robbie

« Reply #43 on: March 29, 2017, 03:55:44 PM »
That is amazing!  You mean, if someone under 65 not on benefits needs a prescribed med, they get it free?  If so I am delighted.

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #44 on: March 29, 2017, 04:28:54 PM »
That is amazing!  You mean, if someone under 65 not on benefits needs a prescribed med, they get it free?  If so I am delighted.

Yep - prescriptions are free here in Scotland.

Anchorman

• Maranatha!
« Reply #45 on: March 29, 2017, 06:24:01 PM »
Wot Gordon said. And we won't go down the road of privatising our NHS either.