Author Topic: Christianity and Reincarnation  (Read 14754 times)

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
Re: Christianity and Reincarnation
« Reply #100 on: April 10, 2017, 11:17:23 AM »
Quite probably Anchorman but it isn't only Christians who post in the Christian topic, it's open to everyone so all sorts of ideas will come up.

(Oh I liked your oath,"Blood and stomach pills", It's great.)
I don't think Anchorman is suggesting it is only open to Christians, rather that if there is going to be a wide ranging discussion about many different religious beliefs, the others are not necessarily relevant to Christianity, and the topic might be suited to the more general religion board.

Robbie

« Reply #101 on: April 10, 2017, 11:40:52 AM »
That's a point Nearly SAne but Sririam was initially talking about Christianity and Reincarnation and that's led to other things -like gnosticism (which I've just been reading up on) and the Gospel of Thomas! 

Doesn'tbother me one way or the other where the thread is but it seems to fit here OK.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 11:50:05 AM by Robinson »
True Wit is Nature to Advantage drest,
          What oft was Thought, but ne’er so well Exprest

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #102 on: April 10, 2017, 11:52:42 AM »
That's a point Nearly SAne but Sririam was initially talking about Christianity and Reincarnation and that's led to other things -like gnosticism which I've just been reading up on! 
Doesn'tbother me one way or the other where the thread is but it seems to fit here OK.
You may want to apologise to Anchorman for suggesting he thought non Christians shouldn't be posting here though.

Robbie

« Reply #103 on: April 10, 2017, 12:05:28 PM »
I didn't think my comment was rude but if you do see it as rude probably Anchorman does too so I'll say, "Sorry" here and now.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #104 on: April 10, 2017, 12:06:49 PM »
I didn't think my comment was rude but if you do see it as rude probably Anchorman does too so I'll say, "Sorry" here and now.
Didn't say it was rude, but it isn't what he was suggesting, so it was incorrect.

Robbie

« Reply #105 on: April 10, 2017, 12:31:37 PM »
Oh aye fair enough.
I misunderstood and am sorry.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #106 on: April 10, 2017, 12:39:08 PM »
Oh aye fair enough.
I misunderstood and am sorry.
Kudos. Part of my reasoning for pursuing it is that Anchorman is an incredibly welcoming person to non Christians so I wouldn't want him tarred with a brush of intolerance.

Robbie

« Reply #107 on: April 10, 2017, 01:07:20 PM »
I like him very much too, he's kind and clever.

Anchorman

• Maranatha!
« Reply #108 on: April 10, 2017, 01:12:01 PM »
There are a lot of crawlers ion this forum........ :D
"for, as long as but a hundred of us remain alive, never will we on any conditions be brought under English rule. It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #109 on: April 10, 2017, 01:15:41 PM »
There are a lot of crawlers ion this forum........ :D
  ;)

Robbie

« Reply #110 on: April 10, 2017, 01:17:58 PM »
What in the blood and stomach pills are you on about, Anchorman???? (Are you blushing?) ;)

floo

« Reply #111 on: April 10, 2017, 01:28:38 PM »
I don't see it Anchorman's way about matters of faith, but he is a good lad. If there is a god I reckon it would be proud to have him as a buddy. :)

Robbie

« Reply #112 on: April 10, 2017, 01:43:24 PM »
Sure would! Oops, he's gone red in the face again.

floo

« Reply #113 on: April 10, 2017, 01:54:17 PM »
Sure would! Oops, he's gone red in the face again.

;D

Dicky Underpants

« Reply #114 on: April 10, 2017, 03:53:25 PM »
I like him very much too, he's kind and clever.

He is indeed.
"Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous.”

Le Bon David

Dicky Underpants

« Reply #115 on: April 10, 2017, 04:10:28 PM »
-
Much of 'Christian' gnosticism developed in Alexandria, DU - and that place had been a melting pot of religious ideas since its' foundation, and the syncretism of Hellenic beliefs with native Egyptian religion in an attempt to codify the existing plethora of deitires (A bit like herding cats with a hamster).
Add the Greek philosophies into the mix, stir in some stoicism, and the pre-Christian 'gnostics' were well established.
As soon as Christian material began to emerge, the assimilation begun with the Egyptian religion simply continued apace. That's why the 'Christian' gnostics were able to find a comfortable acceptance in the already convoluted mess of Alexandrine thought.

Anchorman

Yes, that's a very credible explanation of the origins of all types of 'Gnosticism'. There are of course maverick dissenting voices (not all of them quite barking :) ), who would suggest that the 'true Christian' texts are not quite as unique and pure as some might like to think. I don't doubt that you would concede that there had been some external influence on the classic Christian texts?
Two chaps who would claim that the influences from 'pagan' sources were considerable are:
1) Dennis R. MacDonald, in his 'The Homeric Epics and the Gospel of Mark' in which he claimed that Mark was steeped in the atmosphere of the Homeric epics and had deliberately inverted the qualities of the Homeric heroes in his depiction of Jesus.

2)Prof Alvar Ellegard in his 'Jesus, 100 years before Christ', in which he argues that John's gospel, regarded by many scholars as a composite document, was originally mostly a Gnostic dualist text deliberately transformed to promote the idea of Christ as God incarnate (an idea anathema to most of the Gnostics of the 2nd century, certainly).

And while we're on the subject of 'authentic' Christian texts, what on earth has the fire-breathing monster Christ of the Book of Revelation got to do with the Jesus of the Sermon on the Mount?
"Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous.”

Le Bon David

SusanDoris

« Reply #116 on: April 10, 2017, 04:57:34 PM »
On the subject of Gnosticism, this link is to an article by  an author called Miguel. It is on the GH site because Miguel is April's Author of the Month. I thought it might b of interest here. 
https://grahamhancock.com/connerm1/
The Most Honourable Sister of Titular Indecision.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #117 on: April 10, 2017, 05:10:00 PM »
On the subject of Gnosticism, this link is to an article by  an author called Miguel. It is on the GH site because Miguel is April's Author of the Month. I thought it might b of interest here. 
https://grahamhancock.com/connerm1/
Author of the month on Hancock's website. That's a thing... Sort of like tweeter of the month on a Alex Jones show.

SusanDoris

« Reply #118 on: April 10, 2017, 05:41:10 PM »
NS

I don't know anything about this Alex Jones show but I see it referred to quite often! :D
The Most Honourable Sister of Titular Indecision.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #119 on: April 10, 2017, 05:45:06 PM »
NS

I don't know anything about this Alex Jones show but I see it referred to quite often! :D

Try it, if you can stand it

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheAlexJonesChannel