Author Topic: The Kirk are doing it better  (Read 24596 times)

Walt Zingmatilder

Re: The Kirk are doing it better
« Reply #50 on: April 20, 2017, 07:00:50 PM »
Since these biblical laws aren't legal here in the UK - adultery isn't illegal - so I can't be legally bound by them in any event. As such I'm free to ignore them, and since you note we live in a democracy would you agree that society at large is free to ignore them too?
As long as you don't start ramming your views down our throats* you can ignore what you want.

* including stupid and suspect inquisitions like ''Do you think homosexuality is a sin?'' ''Are you really happy about gay marriage? and other examples of crypto emotional and intellectual fascism like that.

Rhiannon

« Reply #51 on: April 20, 2017, 07:04:34 PM »
As long as you don't start ramming your views down our throats* you can ignore what you want.

* including stupid and suspect inquisitions like ''Do you think homosexuality is a sin?'' ''Are you really happy about gay marriage? and other examples of crypto emotional and intellectual fascism like that.

Crypto-fascist... ah, the young Lister lives and breathes...

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #52 on: April 20, 2017, 07:18:33 PM »

I don't, since asking reasonable questions seems, well, reasonable. I intend to ignore stuff that I think needn't be taken seriously.

These seem like perfectly reasonable questions to me.

P.S. you seem to be ranting again.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #53 on: April 20, 2017, 07:41:34 PM »

These seem like perfectly reasonable questions to me.

They are...for emotional and intellectual fascism.

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #54 on: April 20, 2017, 07:45:52 PM »
They are...for emotional and intellectual fascism.

To use your own question, in what way is asking anyone 'Are you really happy about gay marriage?' a problem?

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #55 on: April 20, 2017, 07:52:12 PM »
he made us male and female as ad_o pointed out.
Except that the real world proves that to be blatantly false.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #56 on: April 20, 2017, 07:54:28 PM »
The Law is dead. It was nalied to the cross with our Lord, as the Apostle says. Not even Jewish Christians are required to follow it, indeed, they shouldn't.
Jesus said he didn't come to abolish the law. Your assertion makes him a liar.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #57 on: April 20, 2017, 08:35:00 PM »
To use your own question, in what way is asking anyone 'Are you really happy about gay marriage?' a problem?
Because of the rhetorical agenda of the twats who ask stuff like that...As demonstrated when one tells these shit stirring bar stewards to get a life.

Rhiannon

« Reply #58 on: April 20, 2017, 08:47:34 PM »
Because of the rhetorical agenda of the twats who ask stuff like that...As demonstrated when one tells these shit stirring bar stewards to get a life.

And if the person asking the question is a gay Christian 'twat'?

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #59 on: April 20, 2017, 08:57:09 PM »
And if the person asking the question is a gay Christian 'twat'?
He'd still be a twat.

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #60 on: April 20, 2017, 09:04:40 PM »
He'd still be a twat.

Seems to me you're more than a tad uncomfortable about being asked a reasonable question - and ''Are you really happy about gay marriage?' is a reasonable question given it it already legal in most of the UK.

Perhaps the problem is that you find the question inconvenient. 

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #61 on: April 20, 2017, 09:22:57 PM »
Seems to me you're more than a tad uncomfortable about being asked a reasonable question - and ''Are you really happy about gay marriage?' is a reasonable question given it it already legal in most of the UK.

Perhaps the problem is that you find the question inconvenient.
I have outlined my position...as far as you are concerned..... in full.
Stop shit stirring.

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #62 on: April 20, 2017, 09:28:27 PM »
I have outlined my position...as far as you are concerned..... in full.
Stop shit stirring.

Asking the question that you yourself noted earlier: and a reasonable question too, is not shit-stirring.

That it makes you uncomfortable is a separate matter.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #63 on: April 20, 2017, 09:35:46 PM »
Asking the question that you yourself noted earlier: and a reasonable question too, is not shit-stirring.

That it makes you uncomfortable is a separate matter.
You have no idea how comfortable or uncomfortable I feel or am. Like many other things it is all in your head.

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #64 on: April 20, 2017, 09:51:00 PM »
You have no idea how comfortable or uncomfortable I feel or am. Like many other things it is all in your head.

Then perhaps you should answer the question you yourself posed earlier: given the legislative changes and the amount of discussion we've had here I can't imagine you don't have an easy answer to hand, and if not then explain why you find the question to be contentious.

Rhiannon

« Reply #65 on: April 20, 2017, 09:55:01 PM »
He'd still be a twat.

When you converted to Christianity did you lose your ability to empathise or have you always been like that?

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #66 on: April 20, 2017, 10:46:49 PM »
Then perhaps you should answer the question you yourself posed earlier: given the legislative changes and the amount of discussion we've had here I can't imagine you don't have an easy answer to hand, and if not then explain why you find the question to be contentious.
let me repeat I have outlined my position.

let me put this to you.

Interrogator
Are you happy at gay marriages?
Interrogated
Yes I'm ok about that
Interrogator
But are you really happy?
Interrogated
Yes
Interrogator
But would you go to a gay wedding?
Interrogated
Yes
But would you be prepared to throw confetti?

You see how ridiculous it is starting all this when you didn't need to know what they thought in the first place.

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #67 on: April 21, 2017, 08:49:40 AM »
let me repeat I have outlined my position.

let me put this to you.

Interrogator
Are you happy at gay marriages?
Interrogated
Yes I'm ok about that
Interrogator
But are you really happy?
Interrogated
Yes
Interrogator
But would you go to a gay wedding?
Interrogated
Yes
But would you be prepared to throw confetti?

You see how ridiculous it is starting all this when you didn't need to know what they thought in the first place.

Excellent: so your are comfortable with gay marriage: but then in your #50 you said that the question 'Are you really happy about gay marriage' was an example of 'stupid and suspect inquisitions' that were instances of 'crypto emotional and intellectual fascism'.

So it seems that your outrage isn't with the content of the question but that the question is being asked at all, which seems like an over-reaction to a perfectly reasonable question.

ad_orientem

« Reply #68 on: April 21, 2017, 09:28:13 AM »
Jesus said he didn't come to abolish the law. Your assertion makes him a liar.

Not at all.
Peace through superior firepower.
Do not believe anything until the Kremlin denies it.

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #69 on: April 21, 2017, 09:49:55 AM »
To be fair to you Vlad, despite your countless misrepresentations, relentless abuse of language, and weird paranoia about “antitheists” (when usually what you actually mean is “atheists”) the one issue on which you’ve consistently been on the side of the angels (as it were) is homosexuality. Good for you.

Here’s the thing though. Like some others here you believe in something you call “God”, and you believe that this god’s various doings and rules are inerrantly written in some books. Now some Christians here seem to be pretty certain that these “supreme” rules prohibit equal marriage, or indeed indulging in the love that dare not speak it’s name at all. You though take a contrary position.

From a theological perspective, what then makes you right and them wrong?

PS That’s just a question by the way, not an interrogation. 
"Don't make me come down there."

God

Gonnagle

« Reply #70 on: April 21, 2017, 10:29:06 AM »
Dear Knickers in a Twist,

Oh look!! Another homosexual thread, first off, I care not a jot what the religion of Churchianity tells me, I care what Christ tells me ( that is the four Gospels, the rest is add on ).

Now I would care what the Church was saying if they were going to debate Homophobia, if they were going to ask, how can we as Christians stop the bullying, rape, torture and killing of Gods children, how can we change that mindset.

Now if you are truly a believer, if you believe in God ( no matter which name you choose ) do you honestly think in the great scheme of things he cares what two grown adults get up to behind closed doors, or do you think Our Lord weeps at world poverty, greed, war, and the seemingly ( for me ) culture of me me me.

My opinion ( not that any other Christian cares ) invite all into your Church, with no buts or pointing of fingers, strike any reference that leads to hatred from your Holy book, the God I worship wants his children to love one another, that's it, end of.

Gonnagle.
http://www.barnardos.org.uk/shop/shop-search.htm

http://www.twam.uk/donate-tools

Go on make a difference, have a rummage in your attic or garage.

BeRational

« Reply #71 on: April 21, 2017, 10:47:34 AM »
Dear Knickers in a Twist,

Oh look!! Another homosexual thread, first off, I care not a jot what the religion of Churchianity tells me, I care what Christ tells me ( that is the four Gospels, the rest is add on ).

Now I would care what the Church was saying if they were going to debate Homophobia, if they were going to ask, how can we as Christians stop the bullying, rape, torture and killing of Gods children, how can we change that mindset.

Now if you are truly a believer, if you believe in God ( no matter which name you choose ) do you honestly think in the great scheme of things he cares what two grown adults get up to behind closed doors, or do you think Our Lord weeps at world poverty, greed, war, and the seemingly ( for me ) culture of me me me.

My opinion ( not that any other Christian cares ) invite all into your Church, with no buts or pointing of fingers, strike any reference that leads to hatred from your Holy book, the God I worship wants his children to love one another, that's it, end of.

Gonnagle.

Because you are nice, you believe in a nice god, and your god unsurprisingly agrees with you and your moral values.
Other Christians read the same book who may not be so nice, and guess what, the god they believe in agrees with them.

You construct your own god.
I see gullible people, everywhere!

Rhiannon

« Reply #72 on: April 21, 2017, 10:55:44 AM »
Ok, so next question for Vlad:

Are you happy with how your church treats gay people and marriage equality?

Gonnagle

« Reply #73 on: April 21, 2017, 11:18:40 AM »
Dear Rhiannon,

Why are you even asking that question, the man has answered it, albeit in Vlads own very peculiar way.

Dear Berational,

You construct your own god.

Or God has constructed me, well actually, more a work in progress, good thing he has infinite patience. ::)

Gonnagle.
http://www.barnardos.org.uk/shop/shop-search.htm

http://www.twam.uk/donate-tools

Go on make a difference, have a rummage in your attic or garage.

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #74 on: April 21, 2017, 12:19:38 PM »
Hi Gonners,

Well maybe you and ad and his ilk should take it out in the car park or something. (And on a technicality, can there be a "behind closed doors" out of sight of an omnipresent god in any case?)

Anyways, you're an exemplar I think of a nice guy who's taken the nice bits from some "holy" books and decided that they're the bits "God" really meant; others though take the contrary view by reference to exactly the same books. Now if you take out the woo and treat these books as an early and sometimes crude attempt at moral philosophy, that's fine - these things can be discussed and debated as new arguments emerge. When the protagonists all think that these books accurately record the rules of an omniscient god though (however internally contradictory those words may be) then instead they select and then entrench their selections: "I know I'm right because God agrees wth me".

As BR says, from the outside it all looks like projection masquerading as the disinterested observance of objective rules. And the problem with that is that, once they're entrenched, positions will atrophy - they cannot by definition become amenable to new and more robust reasoning. 

And that in my rarely humble opinion is a bad thing.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 01:07:22 PM by bluehillside »
"Don't make me come down there."

God