Author Topic: The end of consciousness  (Read 1416 times)

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 11:25:32 PM by Nearly Sane »

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
Re: The end of consciousness
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2017, 03:13:08 AM »
I don't see how any super intelligent AI could avoid being self aware which almost certainly implies some level of conscious thought.

And even if there weren't, so what? A world without conscious thought has existed in the past and the Universe didn't stop.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

Sriram

• Spirituality & Science

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2017, 11:22:39 AM »
I don't see how any super intelligent AI could avoid being self aware which almost certainly implies some level of conscious thought.

And even if there weren't, so what? A world without conscious thought has existed in the past and the Universe didn't stop.
Yes, I would agree that there is a weird consequentialism in the argument that I don't think is justified.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2017, 11:23:57 AM »

That is what is called 'without soul' I suppose!
is it? That seems to define soul as something that disappears when we sleep. Where does it go?

Sriram

• Spirituality & Science
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2017, 12:23:47 PM »
is it? That seems to define soul as something that disappears when we sleep. Where does it go?

Is that how you define consciousness? As something that disappears when we sleep? LOL!

Ever heard of the unconscious or subconscious mind? Consciousness and wakefulness are two different things. Even when we are in deep sleep it is 'we' who experience the deep sleep and wake up later to recollect the refreshing sleep. That is Consciousness.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2017, 12:30:45 PM »

Is that how you define consciousness? As something that disappears when we sleep? LOL!

Ever heard of the unconscious or subconscious mind? Consciousness and wakefulness are two different things. Even when we are in deep sleep it is 'we' who experience the deep sleep and wake up later to recollect the refreshing sleep. That is Consciousness.

It's one of the definitions. And in most research the idea of a controlling conscious will, even indeed in the one you present, is not backed up. That you present an idea of split forms of consciousness but then argue for a single entity controller is logically contradictory.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 12:36:56 PM by Nearly Sane »

Bubbles

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2017, 12:55:47 PM »
Interesting take

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/bigthink.com/paul-ratner/automation-nightmare-we-might-be-headed-for-a-world-without-consciousness.amp

I can see some issues with it, it might cause us to become dumbed down.

For example, cars that park themselves. Practice is what makes a person good at parking, will we lose the ability because it's easier to let a machine do it?

As AI improves it may well make us less skilled in all sorts of areas.

This has happened already, but AI has the potential to take it a lot further.

Perhaps we are already getting dimmer, years ago that had to figure out how to built the pyramids and other structures that some people nowadays  say couldn't be done, except by aliens.

But maybe humans were more able to figure out solutions.

Maybe lots of past skills look impossible because we are not so bright, in some ways.

If you think that's not true, have a look at this....

http://thetruthwins.com/archives/scientists-discover-proof-that-humanity-is-getting-dumber-smaller-and-weaker

http://www.livescience.com/37095-humans-smarter-or-dumber.html
« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 01:15:39 PM by Rose »

Jack Knave

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2017, 06:16:03 PM »
One of the Star Trek episodes (Voyager I think) had them meet two planets at war. They found that it was "manned" by robots. When asked where the creators were they said that they had killed them because the creators wanted to make peace and their function was war and the creators were violating their purpose.