Author Topic: What do animals see in a mirror  (Read 1108 times)

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
What do animals see in a mirror
« on: April 19, 2017, 11:15:19 AM »
Summary , with clips, of the experiments and thoughts on animals and mirrors

http://m.nautil.us/issue/47/consciousness/what-do-animals-see-in-a-mirror-rp
« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 11:28:17 AM by Nearly Sane »

Rhiannon

Re: What do animals see in a mirror
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2017, 02:59:48 PM »
My dog sees a good boy. A lovely boy. A very lovely boy. Oh yes he is. He is, he is. Yes, he is. A very lovely boy. Yes.

floo

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2017, 03:27:18 PM »
My dog sees a good boy. A lovely boy. A very lovely boy. Oh yes he is. He is, he is. Yes, he is. A very lovely boy. Yes.

OH NO HE ISN'T!  ;D

Robbie

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2017, 05:23:17 PM »

Of course he is, bless his cottons. What sorta dog?
True Wit is Nature to Advantage drest,
          What oft was Thought, but ne’er so well Exprest

Rhiannon

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2017, 05:28:25 PM »
Of course he is, bless his cottons. What sorta dog?

Lab.

Jack Knave

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2017, 06:13:28 PM »
I remember reading that when Jung showed some tribesmen a photo of a man for the first time they couldn't make it out. They puzzled over it for some time and then got it, with exclamations and smiles. Perhaps animals see it but just can't processes it because it is 2D or that they have no experience of such things. Perhaps, if encouraged, they could learn.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2017, 06:28:27 PM »
I remember reading that when Jung showed some tribesmen a photo of a man for the first time they couldn't make it out. They puzzled over it for some time and then got it, with exclamations and smiles. Perhaps animals see it but just can't processes it because it is 2D or that they have no experience of such things. Perhaps, if encouraged, they could learn.
it would seem though that at least notionally some animals 'get' it but it is impossible to tell if they are getting it the sane way as we do. That said, and linking to the article on the end of consciousness, despite it feeling easier the same problem applies to ourselves.

I think though that you are right that with we can certainly with interaction increase other animal's perceptions, since it is manifestly true that it works with us.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 06:30:46 PM by Nearly Sane »