Author Topic: No link between genetics and depression?  (Read 903 times)

Nearly Sane

• Administrator

floo

Re: No link between genetics and depression?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2017, 02:58:42 PM »
Interesting findings

https://www.madinamerica.com/2017/04/researchers-disprove-link-genetics-depression/

I find that a bit hard to believe. One of my late uncles suffered from depression, and so do all three of his children. 

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2017, 03:07:46 PM »
I find that a bit hard to believe. One of my late uncles suffered from depression, and so do all three of his children.
That's why science doesn't work on anecdote.

Udayana

• βε ηερε νοω
    • The Byrds - My Back Pages
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2017, 05:29:06 PM »
It is hardly a comprehensive and final study:

"According to the researchers:

“Based on our findings, we conclude that if an interaction exists in which the S allele of 5-HTTLPR increases risk of depression only in stressed individuals, then it is not a broadly generalisable effect, but must be of modest effect size and only observable in limited situations.”

The authors suggest that research funding would be better served focusing on the known, strong causes of depression, such as life stressors and trauma, than on trying to find a genotype with an effect so small as to be undetectable in 38,000 people."

It refutes a suggestion from previous work wrt. a particular allele. I agree that we would be best served by focussing on causes that we have better understanding of, but eventually we may find that individual reactions to some events  can be associated with individual genetics.
Ah, but I was so much older then ... I'm younger than that now