Author Topic: What are souls?  (Read 15771 times)

Walt Zingmatilder

Re: What are souls?
« Reply #125 on: May 19, 2017, 05:11:23 PM »
Vlad,
The Templeton Prize guy? 
I'm taking it that you are saying that as though it were a bad thing? Ha Ha.

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #126 on: May 19, 2017, 05:46:24 PM »
Vlad,

I'm taking it that you are saying that as though it were a bad thing? Ha Ha.

Yes. As you say you're a fan of New Scientist, here's why:

https://www.newscientist.com/blogs/shortsharpscience/2010/03/templeton-prize-is-bad-news-fo.html

It was also an ad hom though, so I was being unfair.
"Don't make me come down there."

God

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #127 on: May 19, 2017, 06:57:05 PM »
Vlad,

Yes. As you say you're a fan of New Scientist, here's why:

https://www.newscientist.com/blogs/shortsharpscience/2010/03/templeton-prize-is-bad-news-fo.html

It was also an ad hom though, so I was being unfair.
Ah, dismissal of the Templeton is in your antitheist genome Blue as your Lord and Master is ag'in' it.....Richard Dawkins the ''Dead Rhino's twat'' man. Ho Ho

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #128 on: May 19, 2017, 07:00:27 PM »
Vlad,

Ah, dismissal of the Templeton is in your antitheist genome Blue as your Lord and Master is ag'in' it.....Richard Dawkins the ''Dead Rhino's twat'' man. Ho Ho

Wrong again. The arguments against the Prize stand alone. Who makes them is neither here nor there.
"Don't make me come down there."

God

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #129 on: May 19, 2017, 07:04:29 PM »
Vlad,

Wrong again. The arguments against the Prize stand alone. Who makes them is neither here nor there.
I think you are mistaking me for someone who gives a shit about ''the prize''.

Sebastian Toe

« Reply #130 on: May 19, 2017, 07:18:53 PM »
I think you are mistaking me for someone who gives a shit about ''the prize''.
1 through 7 ok
8 through 11 . Remove.
12. Keep.
13,14,15. Superfluous.
"The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends.'
Albert Einstein

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #131 on: May 19, 2017, 11:05:37 PM »
1 through 7 ok
8 through 11 . Remove.
12. Keep.
13,14,15. Superfluous.
1 through 7 Get
8 through 11 On stage
12 Before it
13,14,15 Wears off.

Sebastian Toe

« Reply #132 on: May 20, 2017, 03:27:27 AM »
1 through 7 Get
8 through 11 On stage
12 Before it
13,14,15 Wears off.
Close but no vanilla flavoured vape.
"The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends.'
Albert Einstein

Sassy

« Reply #133 on: May 20, 2017, 10:23:08 AM »
That's way off the mark. Even our fingerprints are unique, never mind our brains.  Even identical twins develop differently as they encounter different formative experiences.

An opinion and just your unwillingness to accept the things possible when there is no alternative or it cannot be proved.
We have twin in our family identical and they can even finish each others sentences.
They were born premature and if my sister had not been in hospital at the time she and the babies would have died.
My sister had been in hospital for back pain and rest. They took her for a scan but the twins were lay in a way they did not see the placenta bleeding. One twin already started to die but the other twin had her arms around her. Hugging her, five minutes after an all clear scan she started to bleed heavily and she was rushed by crash team into theatre and they were all saved.

The twins are very close they are closer than the other siblings and they sense when the other in danger or upset.

You totally misunderstood my point that us being separate people shows we have a soul. If the brain was what run the person and not the person/soul  controlling the body. Then we would be robots. You missed the point and the fact we are not robots show the body is told what to do by the person within it.

The body does not just decide to walk and take us where we do not want to go.
We know we have to work together to abolish war and terrorism to create a compassionate  world in which Justice and peace prevail. Love ;D   Einstein
 "Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

torridon

« Reply #134 on: May 20, 2017, 10:46:42 AM »
You totally misunderstood my point that us being separate people shows we have a soul. If the brain was what run the person and not the person/soul  controlling the body. Then we would be robots. You missed the point and the fact we are not robots show the body is told what to do by the person within it.

If that were true the we wouldn't need a brain if a soul can do the job of controlling the body.  A brain is nature's inbuilt computer, taking inputs and coming up with optimal responses. If a soul can do it better, why have a brain ?

When a sparrow decides where to build its nest, is that the sparrow's brain or the sparrow's soul that makes the decision ?

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #135 on: May 20, 2017, 11:38:40 AM »
If that were true the we wouldn't need a brain if a soul can do the job of controlling the body.  A brain is nature's inbuilt computer, taking inputs and coming up with optimal responses. If a soul can do it better, why have a brain ?

You can take the boy out of the reductionist sloganizing....but you can't take the reductionist sloganizing out of the boy.

Sebastian Toe

« Reply #136 on: May 20, 2017, 11:42:24 AM »
You can take the boy out of the reductionist sloganizing....but you can't take the reductionist sloganizing out of the boy.
You can take the piss out of Vlad's jokes ......but you can't take Vlad's jokes out of the piss.
Albert Einstein

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #137 on: May 20, 2017, 11:56:01 AM »
You can take the piss out of Vlad's jokes ......but you can't take Vlad's jokes out of the piss.

I have to admit that was quite f......

I have to admit that was quite fffff.....

I have to admit that was quite ffffffuuu......

I have to admit that was quite ffffuuuuuuuuuu......

I have to admit that was quite fuuuuuuuuuck it, I can't bring myself to say it.......

Sebastian Toe

« Reply #138 on: May 20, 2017, 01:20:22 PM »
I have to admit that was quite f......

I have to admit that was quite fffff.....

I have to admit that was quite ffffffuuu......

I have to admit that was quite ffffuuuuuuuuuu......

I have to admit that was quite fuuuuuuuuuck it, I can't bring myself to say it.......

....fulfilling?  ;)
Albert Einstein