Author Topic: Fatima  (Read 13849 times)

Gordon

• Administrator
Re: Fatima
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2017, 05:34:36 PM »
How would you deflect a charge of being brainwashed into atheism from an early age?

By simply pointing out that I grew up in a family for whom religion was an irrelevance: it wasn't a factor in any sense whatsoever, for example I wasn't christened (which was unusual in the 1950's), and since religion wasn't a factor in any sense then neither was atheism: religion was something that happened to other people.

I wasn't introduced to tennis as a child either.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2017, 05:40:58 PM »
By simply pointing out that I grew up in a family for whom religion was an irrelevance: it wasn't a factor in any sense whatsoever, for example I wasn't christened (which was unusual in the 1950's), and since religion wasn't a factor in any sense then neither was atheism: religion was something that happened to other people.

I wasn't introduced to tennis as a child either.
You are now admitting you should be charged with being brainwashed into atennisism!

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2017, 05:49:23 PM »
By simply pointing out that I grew up in a family for whom religion was an irrelevance: it wasn't a factor in any sense whatsoever, for example I wasn't christened (which was unusual in the 1950's),
So would you say that being special contributed toward your atheism?

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2017, 05:52:50 PM »
You are now admitting you should be charged with being brainwashed into atennisism!

Guilty as charged - brainwashed by lack of interest.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2017, 05:54:07 PM »
Can you just not stop yourself from mistepresemting what people write?  Is it some form of compulsion?

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2017, 05:57:43 PM »
Can you just not stop yourself from mistepresemting what people write?  Is it some form of compulsion?
I'm just trying to get to the bottom of Gordon's atheism...or are you suggesting that only theists should be examined or indeed accused of having been brainwashed into it?

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2017, 06:02:41 PM »

What on earth is 'special' about religion not being part of family life - I didn't claim it was special?

My atheism isn't a consequence of my childhood but is solely due to concluding, in later life, that the case made for theism (e.g. the various approaches and arguments offered by theists in support of their beliefs) is either incoherent or fallacious.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2017, 06:04:51 PM »
I'm just trying to get to the bottom of Gordon's atheism...or are you suggesting that only theists should be examined or indeed accused of having been brainwashed into it?
Must be a compulsion, since off you go again.

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2017, 07:21:10 PM »
Was just reading the latest BBC update on events in Fatima this weekend and wondering how some people take this kind of theatre seriously - beats me!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-39904846

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2017, 07:49:24 PM »
Vlad,

But why given that you've been told already how to work out the answer for yourself?

Can you really have forgotten already?

Oh well. Here it is again then:

Step 1: Write down why you're an a-leprechaunist

Step 2: Delete "leprechaun" and insert "god"

Step3: Try to remember that liking one outcome more than another does not turn a bad argument into a good one (you may have to write that one down on a Post-it note as an aide memoire)

Step 4: Have a nice cup of tea and a ginger biscuit to celebrate finally getting it

You're welcome.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 07:57:09 PM by bluehillside »
"Don't make me come down there."

God

Alan Burns

• I lay it down of my own free will. John 10:18
« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2017, 10:25:21 PM »
of course, that isn't actually true, is it, Alan? You mean people of your faith. There are millions of 'people of faith' that disagree with you about that but you seem forced due to possibly your perception to misrepresent facts.
I always felt that the messages given in these apparitions were applicable to the whole of humanity - not just the Roman Catholic church.
The truth will set you free  - John 8:32
Truth is not an abstraction, but a person - Edith Stein
Free will, though it makes evil possible, is also the only thing that makes possible any love or goodness or joy worth having. - CS Lewis
Joy is the Gigantic Secret of Christians - GK Chesterton

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #36 on: May 16, 2017, 10:37:05 PM »
AB,

I always felt that the messages given in these apparitions were applicable to the whole of humanity - not just the Roman Catholic church.

Now of course all you have to do is to demonstrate that there actually were “apparitions” and “messages” rather than one or more of the various alternative but doubtless less thrilling real world explanations for these stories catching the wind.

Good luck with it!
"Don't make me come down there."

God

Anchorman

• Maranatha!
« Reply #37 on: May 16, 2017, 10:38:15 PM »

-
Hower you must concede that many millions of Christians reject Marian doctrines absolutely, and, therefore, the visions allegedly given in these places.
Were the woman to appear to a non-Christian, an atheist, or a group of Sikhs, there might be a reconsideration.
"for, as long as but a hundred of us remain alive, never will we on any conditions be brought under English rule. It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: May 16, 2017, 11:14:28 PM »
In which post the bot uses a difference but is badly programmed and misses the issue.

floo

« Reply #39 on: May 17, 2017, 08:48:16 AM »

The 'messages' received by the RCC over the centuries haven't done much for it, as it has caused so much grief to so many people. >:(

This for instance.

http://freethinker.co.uk/2017/03/03/gruesome-find-at-catholic-home-for-unmarried-mothers/

Robbie

« Reply #40 on: May 17, 2017, 09:01:33 AM »
That is grim but don't see what it has to do with apparitions.
True Wit is Nature to Advantage drest,
          What oft was Thought, but ne’er so well Exprest

floo

« Reply #41 on: May 17, 2017, 09:02:33 AM »
That is grim but don't see what it has to do with apparitions.

I was replying to AB's post! ::)

Robbie

« Reply #42 on: May 17, 2017, 12:24:31 PM »
I get that but the link to the unmarried mothers' home scandal has nothing to do with apparitions.
How-ever - we move on.

ippy

« Reply #43 on: May 17, 2017, 01:07:20 PM »
Noted the trouble with using the right word, lots of references to brainwashing again where indoctrination is meant.

It's easy to separate the two words brainwashing involves some elaborate forms of torture.

ippy

floo

« Reply #44 on: May 17, 2017, 01:54:17 PM »
I get that but the link to the unmarried mothers' home scandal has nothing to do with apparitions.
How-ever - we move on.

I was saying the messages haven't done the RCC any good!

Robbie

« Reply #45 on: May 17, 2017, 04:29:51 PM »
No argument from me with that.

ekim

« Reply #46 on: May 28, 2017, 02:45:56 PM »

Sriram

• Spirituality & Science
« Reply #47 on: May 28, 2017, 03:15:36 PM »
Meanwhile in Russia ....... http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-40062807

Faith is an extraordinary thing. It puts us in touch with the subtle forces that work from within us.

floo

« Reply #48 on: May 28, 2017, 03:20:28 PM »

Faith is an extraordinary thing. It puts us in touch with the subtle forces that work from within us.

Faith is indeed and extraordinary thing, it can lead people right up the garden path and defy all logic!

Sriram

• Spirituality & Science
« Reply #49 on: May 28, 2017, 03:29:50 PM »
Faith is indeed and extraordinary thing, it can lead people right up the garden path and defy all logic!

Logic is neither here nor there. We humans try to understand things based on logic. But the world does not function on logic.