Author Topic: Etiquette for non muslims  (Read 14565 times)

Sriram

• Spirituality & Science
Etiquette for non muslims
« on: May 28, 2017, 10:12:09 AM »

Hi everyone,

Here is a guide for non muslims on Ramadan etiquette.

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/06/04/us/ramadan-non-muslims-etiquette-guide/index.html

Cheers.

Sriram

Robbie

Re: Etiquette for non muslims
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2017, 11:36:37 AM »
Thanks for that. Wecould all do with a little etiquette-awareness when it comes to working with people of different religions &/or cultures. Awareness and sensitivity costs nothing.
True Wit is Nature to Advantage drest,
          What oft was Thought, but ne’er so well Exprest

Sriram

• Spirituality & Science
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2017, 03:18:44 PM »
Thanks for that. Wecould all do with a little etiquette-awareness when it comes to working with people of different religions &/or cultures. Awareness and sensitivity costs nothing.

Yes...if it is practiced by everyone.

Dajjal

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2017, 04:43:11 PM »
I am not interested in reading a link about humoring Muslims. Especially in the light of the fact ISIS is calling on their followers to attack us during Ramadhan. I think it is better for everyone if we tell Muslims what we really think. If Islam is the fastest growing religion we are all in big trouble, because the God the Quran describes is a terrible monster, and anyone who would worship such a God is at least insensitive, and at worst barbaric.
I have spent the last ten years since after 9/11 pointing out flaws in the Quran in the hope of stopping some gullible people converting to Islam. The latest attack in Manchester only shows that we need to undermine Islamic extremism at all costs and we can only do that by undermining Islam itself.
It has been completely obvious to me the Quran is not God's words since I first read it after the 9/11 attack. I have now read it three times and every time I saw more things wrong with it.
I started out hoping to convert Muslims to Christianity, but discovered that has been tried since the crusades without success.
So now I just try to show the flaws in the Quran prove it is not from God, and Muslims can think what they like.
Even in the valley of the shadow of death, two and two do not make six.
Leo Tolstoy

floo

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2017, 05:37:34 PM »
The Quran is not the only 'holy' book with flaws in it, the Bible has plenty as does its version of god!

Robbie

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2017, 06:44:42 PM »
Posted by: Dajjal
Today at 04:43:11 PM -
I started out hoping to convert Muslims to Christianity

Rather arrogant, hardly conducive to interfaith dialogue - "My religion is better than yours", etc.

Read the Qu'ran again with help in interpretation from a scholarly Muslim.

Dajjal

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2017, 07:07:39 PM »

Rather arrogant, hardly conducive to interfaith dialogue - "My religion is better than yours", etc.

Scholarly Muslims are a bunch of liars who twist the Quran, and fabricate meanings it does not have to try and justify it.

For example, they must know the Quran says the sun orbits the earth, but Imams make the false claim that it means the sun orbits the galaxy. Cat Stevens even said on his old Facebook page that it was incredible the Quran said the sun had an orbit as Muhammad could not have known it orbited the galaxy unless he got the information from God. But Quran 36.38 says the sun goes to a resting place, and there is a hadith which proves the Quran is saying the sun obits the earth goes to a resting place under the flat earth and is reset every dawn.

The Quran is utter bunk and I don't need a lying Imam to interpret it for me as I have a brain of my own.
Leo Tolstoy

trippymonkey

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2017, 08:53:41 PM »

I MUST ask if YOU'RE a Muslim or are looking to 'con'vert?

Ricky Spanish

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2017, 09:31:07 PM »
Nice to see Muslim bashing is alive and well regardless of the OP intentions... or sectarian viewpoints...

Where is the thumbs up emoji?
UNDERSTAND - I MAKE OPINIONS. IF YOUR ARGUMENTS MAKE ME QUESTION MY OPINION THEN I WILL CONSIDER THEM.

trippymonkey

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2017, 10:01:57 PM »
MMM Very useful comments ?!?!!? ;)

Ricky Spanish

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2017, 10:10:16 PM »
Hmmm...

"Ramadan Mubarak" to you mate
UNDERSTAND - I MAKE OPINIONS. IF YOUR ARGUMENTS MAKE ME QUESTION MY OPINION THEN I WILL CONSIDER THEM.

Ricky Spanish

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2017, 10:15:41 PM »
By the way - Three Lions to the Al-Masīḥ ad-Dajjāl, ("the false messiah"), the evil figure in Islamic eschatology..

Are you in the Muslim version of the LDS?

Robbie

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2017, 12:11:46 AM »
Dajjal-  The Quran is utter bunk and I don't need a lying Imam to interpret it for me as I have a brain of my own.

When we study the Bible we read all around it to understand historical and cultural context, use study guides and/or discuss with others in an attempt to interpret some quite difficult passages - and Christians come up with varied interpretations of some bits! So it would seem reasonable to discuss Islam with Muslims in order to understand better. 

Trippymonkey
- I MUST ask if YOU'RE a Muslim or are looking to 'con'vert?

Not today thank you.The only conversion I'm currently interested in is part of my house!

Going back to the o.p. it could be broadened; i already said to Siriam that I believe we should all be more sensitive to the religions and cultures of others & apart from anything else it's very interesting! We wouldn't post on a religion & ethics forum if we didn't find it so.
_____
Dajjal, returning again to what you said earlier - 'I started out hoping to convert Muslims to Christianity'

Does that mean you are a Christian Dajjal? I ask because I have never before come across a Christian who says things like:-

Scholarly Muslims are a bunch of liars who twist the Quran, and fabricate meanings it does not have to try and justify it. &
The Quran is utter bunk and I don't need a lying Imam to interpret it for me as I have a brain of my own.

Not come across a Christian who names himself after a one-eyed anti-Christ either!
___

BAck to the point, sririam didn't post this thread to start a row about Islam, he was merely giving information.

« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 08:33:21 AM by Robinson »

Udayana

• βε ηερε νοω
    • The Byrds - My Back Pages
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2017, 10:31:19 AM »
But the idea of Ramadan is itself bunk, can't see any good in pandering to people engaged in unhealthy behaviour likely to encouraging aggression under the pretence of peace for a holy month.
Ah, but I was so much older then ... I'm younger than that now

Robbie

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2017, 11:33:28 AM »
You may think all religious observance is bunk, plenty do! Why single out Ramadan? A time of fasting(for those able to fast), prayer, reflection & almsgiving which unites Muslims all over the world. Similar to the Christian Lent though few adhere to traditional Lenten practices any more. It may not be my sorta thing but can't see anything wrong with it.

Dajjal

« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2017, 01:52:23 PM »
Robinson, No I am not a Christian, but I have some respect for the teachings of Jesus. However I have none for the ramblings of Muhammad, who I consider was a lying bandit who tried (successfully) to scare people with fear of God. An idea he undoubtedly got from the bible. I just started out thinking that if Muslims converted to Christianity they would turn the other cheek, instead of blowing us up. But its been tried for century's without success.  I think the bible is full of flaws too, and I think its largely Jewish myths. But the Quran is deliberate lies about God.
Leo Tolstoy

floo

« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2017, 02:18:05 PM »
Robinson, No I am not a Christian, but I have some respect for the teachings of Jesus. However I have none for the ramblings of Muhammad, who I consider was a lying bandit who tried (successfully) to scare people with fear of God. An idea he undoubtedly got from the bible. I just started out thinking that if Muslims converted to Christianity they would turn the other cheek, instead of blowing us up. But its been tried for century's without success.  I think the bible is full of flaws too, and I think its largely Jewish myths. But the Quran is deliberate lies about God.

So what is the 'truth' about a god for which there is no evidence to support its existence?

Dajjal

« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2017, 02:34:19 PM »
So what is the 'truth' about a god for which there is no evidence to support its existence?

I can't say what the truth is, but I  am sure what the Quran says about God is lies. Unless God is a deranged, sadistic monster.
See surah 4.56 and 22.19 to 22.22 for a sample of the cruelty of Muhammad's God.
Leo Tolstoy

JP

« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2017, 03:08:37 PM »
I wonder if the compilers of the Quran understood summer sunrise / sunset times in the northern hemisphere.
How can something so perfect be so flawed.

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2017, 03:46:03 PM »
Moderator:

I've just removed a post (by Floo) which was specifically about Christianity. Could we please ensure that the emphasis in posts in this thread is primarily about Islam.

floo

« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2017, 03:49:36 PM »
Moderator:

I've just removed a post (by Floo) which was specifically about Christianity. Could we please ensure that the emphasis in posts in this thread is primarily about Islam.

Sorry! :-[

Udayana

• βε ηερε νοω
    • The Byrds - My Back Pages
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2017, 04:21:03 PM »
You may think all religious observance is bunk, plenty do! Why single out Ramadan? A time of fasting(for those able to fast), prayer, reflection & almsgiving which unites Muslims all over the world. Similar to the Christian Lent though few adhere to traditional Lenten practices any more. It may not be my sorta thing but can't see anything wrong with it.
Muslims are perfectly free to celebrate (maybe endure?) Ramadan if they feel obliged to, however it should not entitle them to special consideration from non-Muslims as it is a form of self abuse.

This lists a number of possible adverse effects:
https://wikiislam.net/wiki/Adverse_Effects_of_Islamic_Fasting
Ah, but I was so much older then ... I'm younger than that now

SusanDoris

« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2017, 04:30:58 PM »
Muslims are perfectly free to celebrate (maybe endure?) Ramadan if they feel obliged to, however it should not entitle them to special consideration from non-Muslims as it is a form of self abuse.
Agreed. I have noticed that I have not heard so much about this in the news in the past year or two. Do you know if demands for special consideration have increased or decreased?

The Most Honourable Sister of Titular Indecision.

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2017, 04:57:55 PM »

This lists a number of possible adverse effects:
https://wikiislam.net/wiki/Adverse_Effects_of_Islamic_Fasting

Even as a grizzled old atheist I'd say that, in my experience anyway, the fasting associated with Ramadan is a personal commitment that rarely intrudes into the lives of those not directly involved, and that to me it seems far less intrusive than the promotion of other religions in the public arena. As far as I'm aware only relatively fit people are required to voluntarily fast for this time-limited period, so I'm not sure the risks are any worse than the habitual excessive consumption of food.

If fact, I'm struggling to think of a single occasion when I've been even slightly inconvenienced by the observance of Ramadan by others - so I'm quite happy to respect the position of those who do adhere to the Ramadan ritual even though it makes no sense to me. 
« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 05:14:50 PM by Gordon »

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2017, 05:08:59 PM »