Author Topic: Religious Fasting.  (Read 11729 times)

floo

Re: Religious Fasting.
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2017, 09:22:41 AM »
Piss off, Floo, this is way above your head.

Oh dear is that the best you can do when you are trounced?  ::)

Bubbles

« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2017, 09:34:45 AM »
Religion aside, they reckon fasting can be good for you as it is closer to how your body has evolved to cope with periods of plenty and hunger.

It's even meant to help with diabetes and weight loss

:)

ad_orientem

« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2017, 09:35:49 AM »
Oh dear is that the best you can do when you are trounced?  ::)

Trounced? Hardly.
Peace through superior firepower.
Do not believe anything until the Kremlin denies it.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2017, 09:39:28 AM »
Religion aside, they reckon fasting can be good for you as it is closer to how your body has evolved to cope with periods of plenty and hunger.

I am always suspicious of 'they'. I need to know who 'they' are to evaluate what 'they' are saying.

Anchorman

• Maranatha!
« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2017, 10:27:01 AM »
Thanks for the semi-gnostic, iconoclastic drivel.

One of the oldest feasts in the in the calendar is the Annunciation. It is from that that the Church arrived at midwinter for the Nativity. You're talking bollocks again. May I suggest you celebrate Christmas on the 17th of June. Otherwise you're a hypicrite and a blind follower of the traditions of men.

-
Please show me in Scriptures - or any letter from 1st century times, where we are ordered to celebrate the Announciation?
Surely, were it so important, it would have appeared in the Didache - the earliest document we have relating to 1st century worship?
It did not.
QED.
"for, as long as but a hundred of us remain alive, never will we on any conditions be brought under English rule. It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

ad_orientem

« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2017, 10:28:28 AM »

-
Please show me in Scriptures - or any letter from 1st century times, where we are ordered to celebrate the Announciation?
Surely, were it so important, it would have appeared in the Didache - the earliest document we have relating to 1st century worship?
It did not.
QED.

Then you obviously don't believe it. If you did you would celebrate it. Just as I suspected.

floo

« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2017, 10:32:53 AM »

Fasting should only be done in a very controlled way for health reasons, definitely not for religious ones, imo.

ad_orientem

« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2017, 10:33:35 AM »
This is Protestantism in a nutshell. It is essentially gnostic and iconoclast. It removes anything physical from its so-called praise, including the creation which God himself created. They should just be honest, go all out and start believing in the demiurge.

floo

« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2017, 10:34:19 AM »
Then you obviously don't believe it. If you did you would celebrate it. Just as I suspected.

You believe in a flawed tradition which doesn't do anyone any good, including you, if your posts reflect your personality.

ad_orientem

« Reply #34 on: May 31, 2017, 10:35:15 AM »
You believe in a flawed tradition which doesn't do anyone any good, including you, if your posts reflect your personality.

Didn't I tell you to go away?

floo

« Reply #35 on: May 31, 2017, 10:48:26 AM »

Anchorman

• Maranatha!
« Reply #36 on: May 31, 2017, 11:03:03 AM »

-
So that means you can find nothing from first - or second century for that matter - material to tell us when to celebrate these events?
Thanks for the (lack of) clarification.
As to belief?
Do I accept God chose a very special young woman to bear Christ?
Yes - as do all Christians.
Do I believe she is any more special now than anyone else who accepts Christ as LORD?
No.
"for, as long as but a hundred of us remain alive, never will we on any conditions be brought under English rule. It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

ad_orientem

« Reply #37 on: May 31, 2017, 11:12:21 AM »

-
So that means you can find nothing from first - or second century for that matter - material to tell us when to celebrate these events?
Thanks for the (lack of) clarification.
As to belief?
Do I accept God chose a very special young woman to bear Christ?
Yes - as do all Christians.
Do I believe she is any more special now than anyone else who accepts Christ as LORD?
No.

What a get out clause. Do you celebrate Christmas? And yes, the Annunciation is scriptural. It's in the bloody gospel.

Anchorman

• Maranatha!
« Reply #38 on: May 31, 2017, 11:16:22 AM »
What a get out clause. Do you celebrate Christmas? And yes, the Annunciation is scriptural. It's in the bloody gospel.

-
Yes I celebrate Christ's Incarnation - were that to be in December, March or September means diddly squat.
As for the annunciation?
I've read Luke's account - even preached on it. I still can't find any indication as to when it happened or that we are to celebrate it, either in Scripture or, for that matter, first century Christian writings.
Can you help, please?

ad_orientem

« Reply #39 on: May 31, 2017, 11:20:56 AM »

-
Yes I celebrate Christ's Incarnation - were that to be in December, March or September means diddly squat.
As for the annunciation?
I've read Luke's account - even preached on it. I still can't find any indication as to when it happened or that we are to celebrate it, either in Scripture or, for that matter, first century Christian writings.
Can you help, please?

Then you're making an excellent argument for you to stop celebrating Christmas too. Stop being so inconsistent.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 11:26:30 AM by ad_orientem »

Anchorman

• Maranatha!
« Reply #40 on: May 31, 2017, 11:22:13 AM »
Ah; that'll be a 'no', then. Thanks.

floo

« Reply #41 on: May 31, 2017, 11:28:40 AM »
Poor Ad-o one does have to feel sorry for the guy, he is so befuddled due to his brain being tainted by his nonsense dogma!

ad_orientem

« Reply #42 on: May 31, 2017, 11:29:05 AM »
Ah; that'll be a 'no', then. Thanks.

You're avoiding your inconsistency. Celebrating all those feasts is entirely scriptual. They're all to be found in the scriptures.

ad_orientem

« Reply #43 on: May 31, 2017, 11:29:31 AM »
Poor Ad-o one does have to feel sorry for the guy, he is so befuddled due to his brain being tainted by his nonsense dogma!

What are you still doing here?

floo

« Reply #44 on: May 31, 2017, 11:31:07 AM »
What are you still doing here?

I hope you are getting help with your undoubted problems, they seem to be getting worse! :o

Rhiannon

« Reply #45 on: May 31, 2017, 12:17:01 PM »
Fasting affects blood sugar levels. This in turn can cause light headedness and feeling spaced out. No wonder it is a part of some religious disciplines - it's a very effective way of inducing spiritual experiences.

Anchorman

• Maranatha!
« Reply #46 on: May 31, 2017, 12:31:41 PM »
You're avoiding your inconsistency. Celebrating all those feasts is entirely scriptual. They're all to be found in the scriptures.

-
So; please provide Chapter and verse to indicate that we should celebrate them.
Apart from Communion, I can find no such references.
Perhaps you can enlighten me?

ad_orientem

« Reply #47 on: May 31, 2017, 01:20:18 PM »

-
So; please provide Chapter and verse to indicate that we should celebrate them.
Apart from Communion, I can find no such references.
Perhaps you can enlighten me?

All those events are in the scriptures. The scriptures don't need to tell us to celebrate them, firstly, because we believe them therefore we celebrate them, secondly, because we do not hold to the sola scriptura heresy.

Anchorman

• Maranatha!
« Reply #48 on: May 31, 2017, 01:37:47 PM »
Ah; another 'no', then, ad-o. So there is, in fact, no injunction or instruction in God's word telling us to commemorate anything, other than the Lord's supper. Again, thanks.

ad_orientem

« Reply #49 on: May 31, 2017, 01:49:44 PM »
Ah; another 'no', then, ad-o. So there is, in fact, no injunction or instruction in God's word telling us to commemorate anything, other than the Lord's supper. Again, thanks.

Only because you hold to the heresy of scripture alone, but all those events are in the scriptures. So, if you believe therefore you celebrate. It really is as simple as that. Don't celebrate, don't believe.