Author Topic: Religious Fasting.  (Read 11732 times)

floo

Re: Religious Fasting.
« Reply #50 on: May 31, 2017, 02:09:11 PM »
All those events are in the scriptures. The scriptures don't need to tell us to celebrate them, firstly, because we believe them therefore we celebrate them, secondly, because we do not hold to the sola scriptura heresy.

Meaning your lot make it up as they go along!

ad_orientem

« Reply #51 on: May 31, 2017, 02:10:30 PM »
Zzzzz! Ah, look! Proddy Floo.
Peace through superior firepower.
Do not believe anything until the Kremlin denies it.

floo

« Reply #52 on: May 31, 2017, 02:32:33 PM »
Zzzzz! Ah, look! Proddy Floo.

You keep banging on about how superior the beliefs of your Church are to those of other Christian denominations, but what good has it done you, your posts are full of hatred and bile?

I certainly don't see things the same way as Alan Burns, and often challenge him, as do others, but he doesn't respond in the unpleasant way you do.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 02:34:34 PM by Floo »

Robbie

« Reply #53 on: May 31, 2017, 02:41:37 PM »
Seems to me floo to be more a case of being unable to see another point of view,or enter into a discussion. Just firing bullets doesn't add anything.

This thread surely was not started for anything other than people discussing what fasting meant to them in a religious context (any religion).

Does God value one traditional way of fasting over another? He looks into the minds of those who fast.

My view, nothing wrong with doing things at certain times if you can as long as the custom doesn't enslave.

Nothing wrong with people fasting individually at any time in order to focus - or with others.Both have benefits.

As long as a person is reasonably well fasting is good for health.

True Wit is Nature to Advantage drest,
          What oft was Thought, but ne’er so well Exprest

floo

« Reply #54 on: May 31, 2017, 02:46:16 PM »
Everyone is entitled to their view of faith always providing they don't claim theirs is superior or true!

Robbie

« Reply #55 on: May 31, 2017, 02:49:59 PM »
Yes! Oneupmanship not necessary & stifles discussion.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #56 on: May 31, 2017, 03:06:11 PM »
Everyone is entitled to their view of faith always providing they don't claim theirs is superior or true!
Is that true?

floo

« Reply #57 on: May 31, 2017, 03:20:10 PM »
Is that true?

I should have added or force it on others in an abusive way.

Shaker

« Reply #58 on: May 31, 2017, 08:46:38 PM »
What, exactly, is supposed to be this "virtue" in fasting anyway?  I fast for 6 to 7 hours every night; I call it being asleep. Like my hero Mark Twain and smoking, I consider the biological necessity of sleep abstinence enough for my purposes.

Otherwise, I "fasted" for 13.7 billion years before I rocked up here and will do for an unspecified amount of time afterward. While I am here I am here to do, not not do. I suppose there's some creepy love of suffering and doing without and mortification of that traditional Christian enemy (the flesh) at work here for the weirdos. For myself, as I say, I am here to do; the grave supplies all its own opportunities for abstinence.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 08:50:35 PM by Shaker »
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

floo

« Reply #59 on: June 01, 2017, 08:39:51 AM »
It is good to see you posting again Shaker, I wondered where you were. :)

Robbie

« Reply #60 on: June 01, 2017, 10:46:50 AM »
Iunderstand what SHaker said, my belief is fasting should be a voluntary thing & done without making a fuss. It's easy for some to go without food for a while.

Gabriella has talked on one of the Muslim threads about what fasting in Ramadan means to her -not a pleasant thread on the whole but her contribution was interesting & i think would be welcome on this thread.

ippy

« Reply #61 on: June 01, 2017, 05:45:47 PM »
I have to fast for a blood test next week, at least that blood test has a worthwhile purpose.

ippy 

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #62 on: June 01, 2017, 07:59:54 PM »
If you think it's all bollocks then may I suggest celebrating the Nativity during the summer.

You mean like Australian Christians do?
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #63 on: June 01, 2017, 08:05:10 PM »
Piss off, Floo, this is way above your head.
It looks like it's pretty much above yours too. Your claim about synchronising the liturgy and the cosmos is obvious bunk. The only way anybody in the second century would have come up with that ideas is if they didn't know the Southern hemisphere exists, which, of course they didn't, which is a bit odd for people claiming to be in a direct personal relationship with the Universe's creator.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #64 on: June 01, 2017, 08:08:14 PM »
You're avoiding your inconsistency. Celebrating all those feasts is entirely scriptual. They're all to be found in the scriptures.
Where is celebrating Christmas mentioned in the Bible and where ids a date given for the birth of Christ?

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #65 on: June 01, 2017, 08:14:06 PM »
Only because you hold to the heresy of scripture alone, but all those events are in the scriptures. So, if you believe therefore you celebrate. It really is as simple as that. Don't celebrate, don't believe.
It's as simple as believing the stuff that is written down and also some stuff that the church seems to have made up. We look at the earliest records - those in the Bible and we find nothing about when to celebrate Christmas or even whether to celebrate Christmas. Then, some centuries later we have evidence that a tradition has grown up but no evidence as to how it started except that it seems to mysteriously coincide with an old pagan festival.

Sorry Ad O. your argument has no credibility.

ad_orientem

« Reply #66 on: June 01, 2017, 08:27:47 PM »
It's as simple as believing the stuff that is written down and also some stuff that the church seems to have made up. We look at the earliest records - those in the Bible and we find nothing about when to celebrate Christmas or even whether to celebrate Christmas. Then, some centuries later we have evidence that a tradition has grown up but no evidence as to how it started except that it seems to mysteriously coincide with an old pagan festival.

Sorry Ad O. your argument has no credibility.

It seems you have no understanding. Christ is the light of the world which is why we know he came into it at midwinter when the sun begins to increase, for creation speaks of its creator.

ippy

« Reply #67 on: June 02, 2017, 12:52:41 AM »
It seems you have no understanding. Christ is the light of the world which is why we know he came into it at midwinter when the sun begins to increase, for creation speaks of its creator.

Exactly where did you get this information from A O?

ippy

Anchorman

• Maranatha!
« Reply #68 on: June 02, 2017, 09:04:35 AM »
Exactly where did you get this information from A O?

ippy

I'd like to know that as well.
"for, as long as but a hundred of us remain alive, never will we on any conditions be brought under English rule. It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

ad_orientem

« Reply #69 on: June 02, 2017, 10:52:27 AM »
It comes from a proper understanding of creation and its creator, that although fallen creation is still essentially good and that it points to one one that created it. The sun is an icon of Christ. That is why we the cosmos joins us in our praise, God made it so, wjy our churches are orientated to east and why we a buried so, why we have calendar etc.

Anchorman

• Maranatha!
« Reply #70 on: June 02, 2017, 11:10:02 AM »
Eh? What's that goot to do with when Christ was born? You'll find most Christian scholars, be they Catholic, Orthodox or reformed, concede that the midwinter date was purely a religio/political move to 'Christianise' the pre-existant festival. That has been admitted for centuries by Christian thinkers of all denominations.
"for, as long as but a hundred of us remain alive, never will we on any conditions be brought under English rule. It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

ad_orientem

« Reply #71 on: June 02, 2017, 11:36:14 AM »
Eh? What's that goot to do with when Christ was born? You'll find most Christian scholars, be they Catholic, Orthodox or reformed, concede that the midwinter date was purely a religio/political move to 'Christianise' the pre-existant festival. That has been admitted for centuries by Christian thinkers of all denominations.

But that's simply not true. The date for Christnas cones from the date of the Annunciation, an older feast by at least a hundred years. Your claim, therefore, doesn't add up.

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #72 on: June 02, 2017, 12:18:07 PM »
But that's simply not true. The date for Christnas cones from the date of the Annunciation, an older feast by at least a hundred years. Your claim, therefore, doesn't add up.

That can't be right: Christmas was superimposed on pre-Christian midwinter festivals, most notably the Roman one of Saturnalia.

Anchorman

• Maranatha!
« Reply #73 on: June 02, 2017, 12:33:06 PM »

-
But we have no knowledge of when, precuisely, the Annunciation occurred - nor when it was first celebrated. Certainly there is no mention of any celebration, either in Scripture, or in the earliest, most reliable, Christian writings of the first or second centuries.

ad_orientem

« Reply #74 on: June 02, 2017, 12:34:17 PM »
That can't be right: Christmas was superimposed on pre-Christian midwinter festivals, most notably the Roman one of Saturnalia.

Wrong. Which is the older feast? The Annunciation or the Nativity? The Annunciation by over a hundred years. Date of said feast 25th of March. Add nine months and you arrive at the Nativity. It's not just a coincidence.