Author Topic: Religious Fasting.  (Read 11728 times)

ad_orientem

Re: Religious Fasting.
« Reply #75 on: June 02, 2017, 12:37:07 PM »

-
But we have no knowledge of when, precuisely, the Annunciation occurred - nor when it was first celebrated. Certainly there is no mention of any celebration, either in Scripture, or in the earliest, most reliable, Christian writings of the first or second centuries.

We have knowledge of the feast of the Annunciation at least as early as St. Irenaeus who had met St. Polycarp who was a disciple of the Apostle St. John.
Peace through superior firepower.
Do not believe anything until the Kremlin denies it.

Anchorman

• Maranatha!
« Reply #76 on: June 02, 2017, 12:39:25 PM »

Wrong. Which is the older feast? The Annunciation or the Nativity? The Annunciation by over a hundred years. Date of said feast 25th of March. Add nine months and you arrive at the Nativity. It's not just a coincidence.

-
Strange that the earliest writing we have dealing with early Christian worship, the Didache - the teaching of the twelve apostles - doesn't mention it, then.
"for, as long as but a hundred of us remain alive, never will we on any conditions be brought under English rule. It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Anchorman

• Maranatha!
« Reply #77 on: June 02, 2017, 12:41:56 PM »
We have knowledge of the feast of the Annunciation at least as early as St. Irenaeus who had met St. Polycarp who was a disciple of the Apostle St. John.
- 'swhat I said. No first or early second century writing to mention when we are supposed to commemorate it - or even IF we are.
"for, as long as but a hundred of us remain alive, never will we on any conditions be brought under English rule. It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #78 on: June 02, 2017, 12:44:55 PM »

Wrong. Which is the older feast? The Annunciation or the Nativity? The Annunciation by over a hundred years. Date of said feast 25th of March. Add nine months and you arrive at the Nativity. It's not just a coincidence.

Nope - Saturnalia is older than any Christian festival (since it pre-dates anything Christian).

ad_orientem

« Reply #79 on: June 02, 2017, 12:53:01 PM »
- 'swhat I said. No first or early second century writing to mention when we are supposed to commemorate it - or even IF we are.

Er, you obviously have no idea when Irenaeus lived. Second century.
Peace through superior firepower.
Do not believe anything until the Kremlin denies it.

ippy

« Reply #80 on: June 02, 2017, 01:25:15 PM »
Er, you obviously have no idea when Irenaeus lived. Second century.

How really interesting and of course, important.

ippy   

Anchorman

• Maranatha!
« Reply #81 on: June 02, 2017, 03:45:39 PM »
How really interesting and of course, important.

ippy   

Actually, he's not wrong, ippy.
However I did note that there are no Christian writings  concerning the observation of any Christian feasts before the mid second century.
I stand by that.
The Didache - the teaching of the twelve - is contempory with the later Pauline epistles - around AD80-90 at the latest.
It was part of early NT lists but rejected on two grounds: authorship and overtly 'Jewish' content.
Nevertheless it does give account of early Christian worship.
Had there been any calendar dates to celebrate, one would have thought they'd have ended up there - and they haven't.
Many such dates were invented by the bishopric to try and make up for a semi-literate following's lack of access to the writings themselves.

ippy

« Reply #82 on: June 02, 2017, 06:37:23 PM »

Actually, he's not wrong, ippy.
However I did note that there are no Christian writings  concerning the observation of any Christian feasts before the mid second century.
I stand by that.
The Didache - the teaching of the twelve - is contempory with the later Pauline epistles - around AD80-90 at the latest.
It was part of early NT lists but rejected on two grounds: authorship and overtly 'Jewish' content.
Nevertheless it does give account of early Christian worship.
Had there been any calendar dates to celebrate, one would have thought they'd have ended up there - and they haven't.4
Many such dates were invented by the bishopric to try and make up for a semi-literate following's lack of access to the writings themselves.

I'm sorry but untill the various religious beliefs can establish some sort of credibility, especially in the magical, mystical and superstition based departments of any one or all of these beliefs, these details might just as well be discussions about the inns and outs of any Harry Potter novel of your choice.

Credibility, I've not seen yet, first and then start settling the details.

ippy

DaveM

• The secret things belong to the LORD our God, but
« Reply #83 on: June 03, 2017, 04:46:41 PM »
If you want to practice true fasting then simply follow the advice given in Isaiah 58.

floo

« Reply #84 on: June 03, 2017, 05:10:14 PM »
Oh dear, please don't! :o

DaveM

• The secret things belong to the LORD our God, but
« Reply #85 on: June 03, 2017, 05:57:12 PM »
I presume you read Isaiah 58 before making that response.  So would be very interested to hear your reasons for rejecting Isaiah's advice.

Robbie

« Reply #86 on: June 03, 2017, 08:11:25 PM »
I really like that DaveM. It shows that God sees right into our motives regardless of what we appear to do.

This bit is great-
“Is not this the kind of fasting I have chosen:
to loose the chains of injustice
    and untie the cords of the yoke,
to set the oppressed free
    and break every yoke?
7 Is it not to share your food with the hungry
    and to provide the poor wanderer with shelter—
when you see the naked, to clothe them,
    and not to turn away from your own flesh and blood?
8 Then your light will break forth like the dawn,"
True Wit is Nature to Advantage drest,
          What oft was Thought, but ne’er so well Exprest

floo

« Reply #87 on: June 04, 2017, 08:23:45 AM »
If god exists, instead of being the figment of the human imagination, it would appear to get off on the ghastly things some evil people do as it was supposedly responsible for creating human nature, as it doesn't do anything prevent them happening. >:(

Robbie

« Reply #88 on: June 04, 2017, 11:43:51 AM »
Yeah well that is another discussion floo. Good morning by the way!
The Isiah passage DaveM indicated is worth looking at(about fasting).

floo

« Reply #89 on: June 04, 2017, 11:46:52 AM »
Yeah well that is another discussion floo. Good morning by the way!
The Isiah passage DaveM indicated is worth looking at(about fasting).

I was actually replying to your post, but never mind! ::)

Robbie

« Reply #90 on: June 04, 2017, 01:09:03 PM »
I don't follow how but never mind, life's too short  :D.

Humph Warden Bennett

« Reply #91 on: June 25, 2017, 11:27:21 PM »
FTR a Muslim colleague of mine asked me this morning if I could advise of a bus to an East End Mosque, today was the end of the Muslim fast.

Since he was very nasty to me two Xmases ago when I absent mindedly wished him a Happy Christmas, I did not wish him Eid Mubarak.

But I did advise taking the Number 25.

SwordOfTheSpirit

« Reply #92 on: June 27, 2017, 04:57:12 PM »
Quote from: DaveM
If you want to practice true fasting then simply follow the advice given in Isaiah 58.
Quote from: Floo
Quote from: DaveM
I presume you read Isaiah 58 before making that response.  So would be very interested to hear your reasons for rejecting Isaiah's advice.
Quote from: Floo
If god exists, instead of being the figment of the human imagination, it would appear to get off on the ghastly things some evil people do as it was supposedly responsible for creating human nature, as it doesn't do anything prevent them happening. >:(
Which part of Isaiah verses 1 - 14 have lead you to that conclusion?
I haven't enough faith to be an atheist.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #93 on: June 27, 2017, 05:03:48 PM »
Which part of Isaiah verses 1 - 14 have lead you to that conclusion?
Which part of made up restrictions are you struggling with?
« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 05:06:34 PM by Nearly Sane »