Author Topic: Protestantism  (Read 49627 times)

Robbie

Re: Protestantism
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2017, 03:59:05 PM »
Is that really addressed to NS?   I have followed the opposite trajectory in my life - in my yoof, I was well into all kinds of daft spiritual stuff, but latterly, I see the natural world as my home, and that's good enough.

But the physical dies.  Isn't that a big problem for many religious?

We in the Western world don't place that much emphasis on it,many were like you being into all sorts of spiritual stuff & political ideas(me included) and then setted down to a conventional life.

Others always crave something else.

Your last sentence about physical death. I don't see it as a problem& don't know many who do but can't speak for others.  I don't see the need for it to be a problem except the natural human fear of the unknown & not wanting to leave what we're used to.Not everyone experiences that but it's understandable some do.
True Wit is Nature to Advantage drest,
          What oft was Thought, but ne’er so well Exprest

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2017, 04:21:28 PM »
That is an aim common to many religions NS. Hindus particularly emphasise gradually becoming less wordly so that, in old age, there is a deeper spirituality, calmness and worldly possessions (tho'maybe not wordly comforts  :)), mean little.

Christians too try to be 'in the world but not of the world' but there's less emphasis in mainstream churches& some people are better at & make more of a point of it than others.

We all have to live in the here and now while we're here though.

Religious communities like Iona as mentioned provide valuable time out from the everyday world which can be refreshing.
Err what has this to do with me or my post on the thread??

wigginhall

« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2017, 04:49:19 PM »
On the contrary, we believe that in Christ God became flesh. Indeed, that is the main reason why we believe that the OT ban on images no longer applies, hence the use of icons etc. They confirm to us that God became man.

So God, who is invisible, is revealed in Christ, who is invisible. 
They were the footprints of a gigantic hound!

Anchorman

• Maranatha!
« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2017, 04:58:22 PM »
That is an aim common to many religions NS. Hindus particularly emphasise gradually becoming less wordly so that, in old age, there is a deeper spirituality, calmness and worldly possessions (tho'maybe not wordly comforts  :)), mean little.

Christians too try to be 'in the world but not of the world' but there's less emphasis in mainstream churches& some people are better at & make more of a point of it than others.

We all have to live in the here and now while we're here though.

Religious communities like Iona as mentioned provide valuable time out from the everyday world which can be refreshing.

-
Yes, Iona 'does spiritual stuff', Robinson - and our worship accentuates our connection with this created earth - but that goes hand in hand with action as well - drug rehab, work with the homeless, asylum seekers, released prisoners, etc - "the least, the last and the lost".
Just spending time in worship and praise might be OK for a week or so, but the community tries to be a lot more than that!
"for, as long as but a hundred of us remain alive, never will we on any conditions be brought under English rule. It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

ad_orientem

« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2017, 04:59:03 PM »
So God, who is invisible, is revealed in Christ, who is invisible.

Er, where did you get that from? Christ is not invisible. That is the nature of taking on flesh. I would have thought that was obvious.
Peace through superior firepower.
Do not believe anything until the Kremlin denies it.

wigginhall

« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2017, 05:03:42 PM »
Er, where did you get that from? Christ is not invisible. That is the nature of taking on flesh. I would have thought that was obvious.

So where is he?
They were the footprints of a gigantic hound!

ad_orientem

« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2017, 05:06:16 PM »
So where is he?

At the righthand of the Father ruling his kingdom, as foretold by the Psalmist and seen by the likes of St. Stephen Protomartyr.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 05:14:23 PM by ad_orientem »

Shaker

« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2017, 08:29:31 PM »
At the righthand of the Father ruling his kingdom, as foretold by the Psalmist and seen by the likes of St. Stephen Protomartyr.
Pretty well the absolutely perfect definition of invisible after all, then  ;) We could have got there a lot sooner without all the St Stephen Proton Palmistry twaddle, but that's always been your bag whichever ugly and obnoxious absolute truth and god's final dispensation you've adhered to this particular month, so hey ho; more of the same old same old, last year, this year, next year, yadda yadda yadda, what the fuck ever.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 08:37:56 PM by Shaker »
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

ad_orientem

« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2017, 08:43:27 PM »
Zzzzzz!. You've crawled out of your pit, I see.

Shaker

« Reply #34 on: May 31, 2017, 08:56:44 PM »
I wish I could say the same of you ... whichever pit of absolute truth and god's immutable doctrine it happens to be this month, last month, next month, whichever pair of socks it is this time round.
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

ippy

« Reply #35 on: June 01, 2017, 10:48:11 AM »
A good demonstration of the complete nonsense of religious belief, discussing things you can't see or produce any evidence that any of its magical, mystical or superstion based parts are worthy of any serious consideration.

Without the magical, mystical or superstition based parts, their's not much left, why bother apart from the social side of the regular reinforcement meetings, in the mildest of terms, it's a bit of an empty collection of ideas, all in the mind.

ippy

Sassy

« Reply #36 on: June 02, 2017, 01:47:55 AM »
This is Protestantism in a nutshell. It is essentially gnostic and iconoclast. It removes anything physical from its so-called praise, including the creation which God himself created. They should just be honest, go all out and start believing in the demiurge.

You mean it does not worship the creation it worships by thanking the creator?

AO, one day you are going to get an awful shock when Christ tells you, " It was do as I did, not make it up as you go along."
We know we have to work together to abolish war and terrorism to create a compassionate  world in which Justice and peace prevail. Love ;D   Einstein
 "Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

torridon

« Reply #37 on: June 02, 2017, 06:50:40 AM »
Zzzzzz!. You've crawled out of your pit, I see.

ad hom, the only recourse of people who cannot put up a reasoned argument.

Says it all.

ad_orientem

« Reply #38 on: June 02, 2017, 08:01:47 AM »

AO, one day you are going to get an awful shock when Christ tells you, " It was do as I did, not make it up as you go along."

Eh? You're talking gobbledegook again.

Shaker

« Reply #39 on: June 02, 2017, 08:31:02 AM »
Eh? You're talking gobbledegook again.
Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

floo

« Reply #40 on: June 02, 2017, 08:32:58 AM »

You will be standing beside ad-o, if that is the case, both being told the same thing! ;D

Rhiannon

« Reply #41 on: June 02, 2017, 08:35:13 AM »
Protestants did that too. Or do you deny it?

Neverthless, the point of this thread was Protestantism's inherent gnostism and iconoclasm, for it seems to neglect the very creation God himself made from its praise.

Isn't praising creation worshipping the created and not the creator? What's the correct term for that? Idolatry? Paganism?

ad_orientem

« Reply #42 on: June 02, 2017, 10:54:06 AM »
Isn't praising creation worshipping the created and not the creator? What's the correct term for that? Idolatry? Paganism?

Not worshipping creation, rather creation joins in our worship of the creator.

Rhiannon

« Reply #43 on: June 02, 2017, 11:02:45 AM »
Not worshipping creation, rather creation joins in our worship of the creator.

Oh, so you're an animist.

ad_orientem

« Reply #44 on: June 02, 2017, 11:38:01 AM »
Oh, so you're an animist.

Nice try but it won't work. Rather lame, if you ask me.

Rhiannon

« Reply #45 on: June 02, 2017, 04:29:33 PM »
Nice try but it won't work. Rather lame, if you ask me.

So why isn't it animist?

ad_orientem

« Reply #46 on: June 02, 2017, 04:35:58 PM »
So why isn't it animist?

Because animism sees all things, even inanimate objects, as spiritually alive. I'm saying that God works through his creation and that creation points to its creator. We therefore incorporate that into our worship.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2017, 04:46:56 PM by ad_orientem »

Rhiannon

« Reply #47 on: June 02, 2017, 04:45:18 PM »
Because animism sees all things, even inanimate objects, as spiritually alive. I'm saying that God not only orks through his creation but that creation points to its creator.

But if creation praises the creator, as you claim, then it has to have some kind of animating spirit.

ad_orientem

« Reply #48 on: June 02, 2017, 04:48:54 PM »
But if creation praises the creator, as you claim, then it has to have some kind of animating spirit.

No. It points to creatore because the creator made it that way: the seasons, the rising sun which is an icon of the risen Christ etc.

Robbie

« Reply #49 on: June 02, 2017, 05:03:17 PM »
It sounds very beautiful ad_o & i can see how attractive it is but it;s not necessary for salvation, i dont think any Christian group believes that.

You have committed to the Orthodox church,well and good, but there's nothing wrong with other ways of expressing the Christian faith (except for people who don't believe in it at all& would say it's all bunkum but i'm not addressing them).
True Wit is Nature to Advantage drest,
          What oft was Thought, but ne’er so well Exprest