Author Topic: Protestantism  (Read 49551 times)

Dicky Underpants

Re: Protestantism
« Reply #250 on: June 15, 2017, 05:28:50 PM »
They're still refered to as the "muderers of God" in our Good Friday liturgy.

You're happy with that?
"Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous.”

Le Bon David

Anchorman

• Maranatha!
« Reply #251 on: June 15, 2017, 05:31:57 PM »
Beauty? I can think of a lot of things to describe it, but beauty isn't one of them.
[/quote

-
Have you ever attended an Orthodox service, then?
Because I have - and, yes, there is an etherial beauty to it, even though I find some of the premis flawed.
"for, as long as but a hundred of us remain alive, never will we on any conditions be brought under English rule. It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

ad_orientem

« Reply #252 on: June 15, 2017, 05:35:54 PM »
You're happy with that?

Why not? Orthodox believers have been fine with it for two thousand years so I see no reason to gainsay it, indeed, both the Apostle St. Peter and St. Stephen Protomartyr both confirm it.
Peace through superior firepower.
Do not believe anything until the Kremlin denies it.

Shaker

« Reply #253 on: June 15, 2017, 05:40:53 PM »
Like its attitude to women. Or gay people. Or Jewish people. Or not.

Unless of course they are just ad-o's personal prejudices dressed up as Orthodoxy.
Oddly enough - or not - said prejudices were precisely and exactly the same back in the days when the Holy Roman Catholic and Apostolic Church was God's final and absolutely bestest and most favouritest absolute truth ever ever ever with jam on top. So you could be on to something.

Still, the iconography is nice. And the music.
Yes, I'll definitely give you the music - belting stuff.
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

Dicky Underpants

« Reply #254 on: June 15, 2017, 05:41:43 PM »
Why not? Orthodox believers have been fine with it for two thousand years so I see no reason to gainsay it, indeed, both the Apostle St. Peter and St. Stephen Protomartyr both confirm it.

Bugger the Apostle St Peter and St Stephen Protomartyr. A howling mob around Christ's cross does not constitute the whole of the Jewish people at that time or throughout the ages (always supposing that gospel record is correct) - something which even the Catholic Church eventually and very belatedly acknowledged. Nor does their supposed cry "His blood be upon us and upon our children" provide any justification for the vilification of the whole Jewish diaspora down the centuries (again, always supposing that there were any such people in the supposed mob who were shouting that).
« Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 05:50:29 PM by Dicky Underpants »
"Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous.”

Le Bon David

Shaker

« Reply #255 on: June 15, 2017, 05:43:37 PM »
Why not?

Well now; how about because it's vile?

Orthodox believers have been fine with it for two thousand years so I see no reason to gainsay it, indeed, both the Apostle St. Peter and St. Stephen Protomartyr both confirm it.
There's a fallacy ripe for the plucking here; a packet of virtual fruit pastilles for the first one to name it.
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #256 on: June 15, 2017, 05:52:47 PM »
Shakes,

There's a fallacy ripe for the plucking here; a packet of virtual fruit pastilles for the first one to name it.

It's the fallacy of composition:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fallacy_of_composition

Essentially he's saying that, because a relatively tiny number of Jews (allegedly) did something bad a long time ago, so anyone who happens to have been Jewish since is to blame for it too. It really is that contemptible.

The nazis took the same line I believe.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 06:07:36 PM by bluehillside »
"Don't make me come down there."

God

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #257 on: June 15, 2017, 06:01:49 PM »
Well now; how about because it's vile?

In the post of ad's you quote I'll go for the fallacy double: we have both authority and tradition in evidence here so a I claim not just the virtual fruit pastilles but an additional packet of virtual fruit gums too. There is an implied ad pop too, but I won't claim for that for dental reasons.

Shaker

« Reply #258 on: June 15, 2017, 06:05:22 PM »
In the post of ad's you quote I'll go for the fallacy double: we have both authority and tradition in evidence here so a I claim not just the virtual fruit pastilles but an additional packet of virtual fruit gums too. There is an implied ad pop too, but I won't claim for that for dental reasons.
Chuck in an ad antiquitatem while you're at it, ring the dentist and to hell with it.

Rhiannon

« Reply #259 on: June 15, 2017, 06:08:46 PM »

But it's not actually true, is it? Leaving aside the fallacies noted, what about the method of execution used?

ad_orientem

« Reply #260 on: June 15, 2017, 06:28:10 PM »
But it's not actually true, is it? Leaving aside the fallacies noted, what about the method of execution used?

It was the Jews who conspired to put their own Messiah and God to death, forcing Pilate's hand who lacked the moral fortitude to do the right thing. By continuing to reject Christ they still fall under that banner.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 06:33:04 PM by ad_orientem »

Shaker

« Reply #261 on: June 15, 2017, 06:31:54 PM »
It was the Jews who conspired to out their own Messiah and God to death, forcing Pilate's hand who lacked the moral fortitude to do the right thing. By continuing to reject Christ they still fall under that banner.
And this month's prize for Spectacularly Failing to Answer the Question goes to ...

By continuing to reject Christ they still fall under that banner.
Does that also apply to Hindus, Sikhs, Zoroastrians, etc.?

ad_orientem

« Reply #262 on: June 15, 2017, 06:33:55 PM »
And this month's prize for Spectacularly Failing to Answer the Question goes to ...

It answers Rhiannon's question.

ad_orientem

« Reply #263 on: June 15, 2017, 06:35:17 PM »
Does that also apply to Hindus, Sikhs, Zoroastrians, etc.?

No, because the did not have the Law and the Prophets.

Shaker

« Reply #264 on: June 15, 2017, 06:37:47 PM »
It answers Rhiannon's question.
Rhiannon's question was "What about the method of execution used?"

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #265 on: June 15, 2017, 06:46:28 PM »

It's quite simple. Had he said "I was angry because I realised that God did not exist", that would have been a meaningful statement. But to be angry with something you've decided does not exist shows a contempt for reason (and the English language) of no common order.
No I think Lewis was saying that his atheism did not effectively police his emotions i.e. he had some. Cue New atheist bravado about coming to terms with the abyss or feeling Joy when they received the atheist epiphany. That I'm sure the great man would write off as ''A put up Job''.

As Augustine before him he explored his feelings and both gave himself to Christ and realised that his previous atheist construct was part of the avoidance of God behaviour.

Underpants here equates Reason with feeling and that from somebody criticising The Great Man is definitely Second Rate...but even that is an improvement on the third rate I come across on this forum.

ad_orientem

« Reply #266 on: June 15, 2017, 06:48:15 PM »
Rhiannon's question was "What about the method of execution used?"

Yes it answers that because Rhiannon's implication is clearly that because Christ was crucified the Romans bear the guilt not the Jews.

Shaker

« Reply #267 on: June 15, 2017, 06:54:59 PM »
Yes it answers that because Rhiannon's implication is clearly that because Christ was crucified the Romans bear the guilt not the Jews.
Whoever may have been responsible then - if anyone - nobody is now.

DaveM

• The secret things belong to the LORD our God, but
« Reply #268 on: June 15, 2017, 06:55:51 PM »
It was the Jews who conspired to put their own Messiah and God to death, forcing Pilate's hand who lacked the moral fortitude to do the right thing. By continuing to reject Christ they still fall under that banner.
Even with the understanding we have today, if I had been standing amongst that crowd before Pilate on that early Friday morning in April AD30, I would have had no choice but to join in the chorus of cries to ‘Crucify Him’.  And that applies equally to you and to all of us.  We all need a crucified Christ to deal effectively with our own individual sins.  So we are all equally guilty of being the agents of Jesus’ death and have no moral right to cast all the blame on the Jewish people or their Roman accomplices

Shaker

« Reply #269 on: June 15, 2017, 06:59:33 PM »
No I think Lewis was saying that his atheism did not effectively police his emotions i.e. he had some.

Was Lewis so unclear that we need the likes of you to tell us what he actually meant, like, really.

Cue New atheist bravado about coming to terms with the abyss or feeling Joy when they received the atheist epiphany. That I'm sure the great man would write off as ''A put up Job''.
Doubtless: but with his, for want of a far better word, thinking shown up as lacking to say the least, what's that worth?

As Augustine before him he explored his feelings and both gave himself to Christ and realised that his previous atheist construct was part of the avoidance of God behaviour.
Which again isn't possible for an actual atheist.

Underpants here equates Reason with feeling and that from somebody criticising The Great Man is definitely Second Rate...but even that is an improvement on the third rate I come across on this forum.
This forum being the one you lied about leaving.

Shaker

« Reply #270 on: June 15, 2017, 07:04:08 PM »
Even with the understanding we have today, if I had been standing amongst that crowd before Pilate on that early Friday morning in April AD30, I would have had no choice but to join in the chorus of cries to ‘Crucify Him’.  And that applies equally to you and to all of us.
Doesn't apply to me; but then, I'm not a bloodthirsty twat.

We all need a crucified Christ to deal effectively with our own individual sins.
As I've never committed any so-called "sins", I don't. Moreover, even if I had, I'd still consider it the acme of nonsense to consider that my wrongdoings can be paid off by another party. Scapegoating is only for those with a minimal or even absent sense of personal responsibility. As Hitch put it, if I commit a minor crime - a low-level traffic offence for instance - someone else may, in a compassionate and altruistic mood, decide to pay my fine for me; nevertheless, I'm still the one who committed the offence.

So we are all equally guilty of being the agents of Jesus’ death and have no moral right to cast all the blame on the Jewish people or their Roman accomplices
Nope. Feel free to hold yourself responsible for an ancient execution if that's how you get your jollies; I'm not involved however.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 07:08:23 PM by Shaker »

ad_orientem

« Reply #271 on: June 15, 2017, 07:06:41 PM »
Even with the understanding we have today, if I had been standing amongst that crowd before Pilate on that early Friday morning in April AD30, I would have had no choice but to join in the chorus of cries to ‘Crucify Him’.  And that applies equally to you and to all of us.  We all need a crucified Christ to deal effectively with our own individual sins.  So we are all equally guilty of being the agents of Jesus’ death and have no moral right to cast all the blame on the Jewish people or their Roman accomplices

As I said, the Jews has the Law and the Prophets and continue today to reject Christ.

Rhiannon

« Reply #272 on: June 15, 2017, 07:08:57 PM »
As I said, the Jews has the Law and the Prophets and continue today to reject Christ.

But they didn't kill him. Did they? Come on, be honest. Which regime executed him?

Shaker

« Reply #273 on: June 15, 2017, 07:09:24 PM »
In the words of S. J. Fry, so fucking what?

Anchorman

• Maranatha!
« Reply #274 on: June 15, 2017, 07:10:26 PM »

Yep.
Theologically sound.
'Nuff said.
"for, as long as but a hundred of us remain alive, never will we on any conditions be brought under English rule. It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."