Author Topic: An Awkward Question  (Read 19486 times)

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
Re: An Awkward Question
« Reply #125 on: June 15, 2017, 12:45:27 AM »
?indeed  - so show that it is better. Ah you didn't so assertion
The same Universe as this one but without smallpox.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #126 on: June 15, 2017, 08:39:38 AM »
The same Universe as this one but without smallpox.

Doesn't even have to be as big an ask as that - currently I'd settle for the same universe without toothache.
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

Shaker

« Reply #127 on: June 15, 2017, 09:26:51 AM »
Doesn't even have to be as big an ask as that - currently I'd settle for the same universe without toothache.
My sympathies  :(

But yes, the principle works just as well. Toothache is easily explicable under naturalism; but under theism? What's going on there?
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

Rhiannon

« Reply #128 on: June 15, 2017, 10:01:20 AM »
Not to mention period pain, let alone childbirth.

Oh hang on, it's because women are dirty and evil. Forgot that.

floo

« Reply #129 on: June 15, 2017, 11:19:49 AM »

Yep women have to put up with the pain of childbirth because Eve was a naughty girl and tempted that frail male of the species, Adam, with the apple! ::)
« Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 11:21:50 AM by Floo »

john

« Reply #130 on: June 15, 2017, 12:24:44 PM »
No woman. No cry!!!!
"Try again. Fail again. Fail Better". Samuel Beckett

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #131 on: June 15, 2017, 12:32:43 PM »

Apparently God couldn't have created women who are not dirty and evil. This god seems to be a bit incompetent.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #132 on: June 15, 2017, 02:08:16 PM »
God had to create women, as soon as it realised that the male of the species couldn't survive without them. ;D

And God had to give men infinite patience to put up with the whining of females who think it is an achievement to walk upright and talk at the same time.

Just stop with your sexist nonsense.
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #133 on: June 15, 2017, 02:23:22 PM »
Dear, Dear! ;D

I know you think you are being light hearted and funny. But the denigration of men in society is a serious problem tied in with men's own attitude to themselves - a jokey 'poor dears can't cope' attitude does not help with self image for, particularly young males. Low self-esteem is acknowledged as one of the causes of the high rates of male suicide. Seriously you need to stop.

http://www.esquire.co.uk/culture/longform/a9202/britain-male-suicide-crisis/

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #134 on: June 15, 2017, 02:41:48 PM »
Oh come on I was just having a joke, women have been subjected to sexism since they climbed out of the primeval swamp. It is interesting to note how a bloke gets so upset when the tables are turned, even when it was not meant to be a serious comment! Anyway this a subject for a separate thread. Why don't you start one if it bugs you so much?

I might start one. But as I was brought up not to make demeaning jokes about women I find it very strange when you, or other woman do  just the same thing that you complain about men doing. Stinks of double standards to me.

BTW I'm not upset. I'm annoyed at your stance. There is a difference.

floo

« Reply #135 on: June 15, 2017, 02:44:12 PM »
I might start one. But as I was brought up not to make demeaning jokes about women I find it very strange when you, or other woman do  just the same thing that you complain about men doing. Stinks of double standards to me.

BTW I'm not upset. I'm annoyed at your stance. There is a difference.

Oh dear, get over it.  ::)

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #136 on: June 15, 2017, 02:45:59 PM »
Oh dear, get over it.  ::)

Can't address the subject - so switch to patronizing instead. Noted.

Robbie

« Reply #137 on: June 15, 2017, 03:29:54 PM »
I think men can cope perfectly well without women, just as many women have to cope without men. A lot have no choice in the matter, they have to!

Of course they have to accommodate any lonely feelings but many succeed very well without a partner.

No harm was meant but none of us should make jokes which are demeaning to the opposite sex. I've been annoyed about "Typical women" comments in past. Yes the sexes are different it's stupid to deny that but we're all human beings and have insecurities.

Trent, that article is spot on, thank you for posting. I hope everyone reads it.
True Wit is Nature to Advantage drest,
          What oft was Thought, but ne’er so well Exprest

Rhiannon

« Reply #138 on: June 15, 2017, 08:44:57 PM »
Getting off topic, but I agree with Trent. Any sexism hurts.

Owlswing

« Reply #139 on: June 16, 2017, 05:00:38 PM »

And yet slavery is not something that is unique to them, and is something that followers of those religions have campaigned against.

7 “When a man sells his daughter as a slave, she shall not go out as the male slaves do. 8 If she does not please her master, who has designated her for himself, then he shall let her be redeemed. He shall have no right to sell her to a foreign people, since he has broken faith with her.

Exodus 21;7

The revealed word of the Christian God which, to be Chtristaion, Christans MUST follow!
The Holy Bible, probably the most diabolical work of fiction ever to be visited upon mankind.

An it harm none, do what you will; an it harm some, do what you must!

Harrowby Hall

« Reply #140 on: June 19, 2017, 09:50:18 AM »
7 “When a man sells his daughter as a slave, she shall not go out as the male slaves do. 8 If she does not please her master, who has designated her for himself, then he shall let her be redeemed. He shall have no right to sell her to a foreign people, since he has broken faith with her.

Exodus 21;7

The revealed word of the Christian God which, to be Chtristaion, Christans MUST follow!

Err, no. It is part of the Old Testament. Christianity is exclusive to the New Testament. I'm not a Christian (except in some vague cultural sense) but I do know the difference between the Old and New Testaments.
Does Magna Carta mean nothing to you? Did she die in vain?

Rhiannon

« Reply #141 on: June 19, 2017, 10:16:27 AM »
Not quite. Otherwise the OT wouldn't be part of the Christian Bible. Same God.

Shaker

« Reply #142 on: June 19, 2017, 11:03:25 AM »
Not quite. Otherwise the OT wouldn't be part of the Christian Bible. Same God.
True, but occasionally you come across Christians - Bashful Anthony was one, I recall - who pretty well write off the OT as superfluous - or if that's not the right word, then of minor importance. Hence the old gag: "How do you hide something from a Christian? Put it in the Old Testament, they never look in there."*

* Exceptions apply, especially about gays though not mixed fibres.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 11:06:10 AM by Shaker »
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #143 on: June 19, 2017, 12:02:43 PM »

Have you tried shopping in Hounslow less?