Author Topic: Turkey removes evolution from biology textbooks  (Read 5774 times)

torridon

Turkey removes evolution from biology textbooks
« on: June 24, 2017, 09:13:54 AM »
On Wednesday, the head of the education ministry's curriculum board Alpaslan Durmuş announced that a section on Charles Darwin's Theory of Evolution would be excluded from biology textbooks in the ninth grade (14 and 15 year olds) from next year on.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-40384471

Walt Zingmatilder

Re: Turkey removes evolution from biology textbooks
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2017, 10:28:19 AM »
On Wednesday, the head of the education ministry's curriculum board Alpaslan Durmuş announced that a section on Charles Darwin's Theory of Evolution would be excluded from biology textbooks in the ninth grade (14 and 15 year olds) from next year on.
I'm not sure what's worse ....that, or the British governments exclusion of textbooks from schools which can no longer afford them.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2017, 10:30:39 AM »
I'm not sure what's worse ....that, or the British governments exclusion of textbooks from schools which can no longer afford them.
And the relevance of your assertion?

Gonnagle

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2017, 10:45:25 AM »
Dear Sane,

Telling 14 and 15 year old's they are to young to understand such a controversial subject like evolution :o Well I suppose it is nice to know that we are not the only country with a totally stupid government.

Gonnagle.
http://www.barnardos.org.uk/shop/shop-search.htm

http://www.twam.uk/donate-tools

Go on make a difference, have a rummage in your attic or garage.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2017, 10:53:57 AM »
Dear Sane,

Telling 14 and 15 year old's they are to young to understand such a controversial subject like evolution :o Well I suppose it is nice to know that we are not the only country with a totally stupid government.

Gonnagle.

I have no love for the current UK govt, but they are irrelevant to this thread, unless the subject is what they argue on evolutionary teaching. Further given education is devolved the actions of the Tory govt in England are irrelevant to what happens on evolution teaching in Scotland.

Walter

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2017, 01:29:37 PM »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-40384471
the world is slowly being taken over by ignorant morons. (I cleaned that up before posting)

Harrowby Hall

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2017, 03:04:13 PM »
On seeing the subject heading for this thread, my first thought was "Oh, what a clever bird" but then realisation dawned.

This is, of course, a consequence of the islamicisation of a formerly secular state. Walter is massively wrong to ascribe this to ignorant morons - the government of Erdogan knows exactly what it is doing - alongside such activities as eliminating freedom of the press.
Does Magna Carta mean nothing to you? Did she die in vain?

ippy

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2017, 04:30:27 PM »
On seeing the subject heading for this thread, my first thought was "Oh, what a clever bird" but then realisation dawned.

This is, of course, a consequence of the islamicisation of a formerly secular state. Walter is massively wrong to ascribe this to ignorant morons - the government of Erdogan knows exactly what it is doing - alongside such activities as eliminating freedom of the press.

You sound as though you've just about got it right H H, it doesn't bode well for that part of our world at the mo, Atterturk must be having a turn around in his grave, assuming that's possible.

ippy

Walter

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2017, 05:43:42 PM »

who the fuck do you think you are telling me I'm wrong?  if you think I'm wrong , put the cap on and see if it fits ffs

Harrowby Hall

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2017, 06:10:49 PM »
who the fuck do you think you are telling me I'm wrong?  if you think I'm wrong , put the cap on and see if it fits ffs

Would you kindly tell us all where it hurts?
Does Magna Carta mean nothing to you? Did she die in vain?

Bubbles

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2017, 07:17:32 PM »
It's worrying in that places seem to be getting more extreme.

I find it ominous that such a thing would be removed and it concerns me what is being taught in its place.

I'm all for teaching all sides of something, but at times it's like the dark ages are in danger of coming back.

I guess that's why it's best to aim for our society to be secular.

Even if sometimes I feel it comes across as being synonymous with anti religion.

floo

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2017, 09:13:47 AM »
There are some extreme Christians here in the UK who would love to see only the Biblical creation story taught in schools! ::)

Robbie

True Wit is Nature to Advantage drest,
          What oft was Thought, but ne’er so well Exprest

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2017, 10:22:01 AM »
There are some extreme Christians here in the UK who would love to see only the Biblical creation story taught in schools! ::)
But not as many I would imagine as secular humanists who want religion and the religious out of politics.

Shaker

« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2017, 10:27:40 AM »
But not as many I would imagine as secular humanists who want religion and the religious out of politics.
Ah yes ... the nameless, faceless ones.

"Imagine" clearly being le mot juste here.
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

floo

« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2017, 11:43:39 AM »

Religion should certainly be kept well out of politics as they don't mix.

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2017, 12:07:33 PM »
Fallacy Boy,

And the Fallacy Meister walks among us again. Praise be!

Can't decide yet whether to carve out from the tu quoque a sub-category for this whataboutism, but I'll get back you you on that: 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whataboutism
"Don't make me come down there."

God

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2017, 01:06:51 PM »
Fallacy Boy,

And the Fallacy Meister walks among us again. Praise be!

Can't decide yet whether to carve out from the tu quoque a sub-category for this whataboutism, but I'll get back you you on that: 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whataboutism
Category F*****g Chap

The main action with regards this is Shakers suggestion that a claim that there are those here who think that politics should be free of religion is somehow a straw man argument.....now he has his answers.

Shaker

« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2017, 01:11:57 PM »
Well, no, not really.

For a start we now have one person on the forum who thinks religion should be kept out of politics - hardly the mass shadowy conspiracy of secular humanists you keep alluding to. I'm confident that the Lords Spiritual are safe for a while longer on the strength of this.

Does Floo even identify as a secular humanist in any case? I for one have never heard her say. But was it Floo you were alluding to in your oft-repeated paranoid fantasies? Why couldn't you name Floo when asked for the name(s) (and corroborating statements) of someone who holds that opinion?

Poor attempt at playing catch-up, old fruit ;)
« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 01:14:26 PM by Shaker »
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

Rhiannon

« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2017, 01:25:10 PM »
I suggest paganism should actively be brought into politics. Compulsory maypole dancing, VAT free purple tie dye and real ale and Arthur Pendragon for Home Secretary. What's not to like?

Shaker

« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2017, 01:27:40 PM »
Gets my goat of Mendes vote.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2017, 01:35:11 PM »
Well, no, not really.

For a start we now have one person on the forum who thinks religion should be kept out of politics - hardly the mass shadowy conspiracy of secular humanists you keep alluding to. I'm confident that the Lords Spiritual are safe for a while longer on the strength of this.

Does Floo even identify as a secular humanist in any case? I for one have never heard her say. But was it Floo you were alluding to in your oft-repeated paranoid fantasies? Why couldn't you name Floo when asked for the name(s) (and corroborating statements) of someone who holds that opinion?

Poor attempt at playing catch-up, old fruit ;)
I'd like to reply Shaker but I couldn't find a smug enough smiley emoji to express my feelings..........take the shame Shakes.

Rhiannon

« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2017, 01:39:28 PM »
Funny how Christians like shame so much. It's possible to get help for it though.

Shaker

« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2017, 01:48:45 PM »
Funny how Christians like shame so much. It's possible to get help for it though.
Surely the funnier (peculiar kind, not necessarily ha-ha kind) thing is why so many of them (self-described ones at any rate, and especially forum ones) are so keen on the equivalent of hitting themselves hard and repeatedly in the face with a ball-pein hammer and calling it not merely an argument or even a good point in an argument but victory.

Very odd indeed.

As for shame: Christianity has ever thrived on it. If you're so bad that God Himself tortured and killed Himself (albeit briefly) over how bad you inherently and intrinsically are - no matter what you've done or not done; no matter how old you are or indeed if you've just entered this great stage of fools ex utero - then a word like shame really doesn't even begin to cover the case.

But then, at the same time neither do words such as arrogance and egotism. That's why the late great Hitch was so right (he usually was, beautifully almost to the point of painfully so) to characterise Christianity as the maximum of servility coupled with the maximum of solipsism.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 02:21:24 PM by Shaker »