Author Topic: Turkey removes evolution from biology textbooks  (Read 5768 times)

floo

Re: Turkey removes evolution from biology textbooks
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2017, 04:02:38 PM »
Well, no, not really.

For a start we now have one person on the forum who thinks religion should be kept out of politics - hardly the mass shadowy conspiracy of secular humanists you keep alluding to. I'm confident that the Lords Spiritual are safe for a while longer on the strength of this.

Does Floo even identify as a secular humanist in any case? I for one have never heard her say. But was it Floo you were alluding to in your oft-repeated paranoid fantasies? Why couldn't you name Floo when asked for the name(s) (and corroborating statements) of someone who holds that opinion?

Poor attempt at playing catch-up, old fruit ;)

I have never considered myself as a secular humanist,  or anything else for that matter. I am just me, the mould was broken when I emerged! ;D

Robbie

« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2017, 05:10:04 PM »
Certainly was floo.

N E way Turkey is reputed to be related to Triceratops.
True Wit is Nature to Advantage drest,
          What oft was Thought, but ne’er so well Exprest

Humph Warden Bennett

« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2017, 11:20:15 PM »
I am most annoyed, here Chuck is seen as a local hero, and his mural is painted in a prominent place on our Market Square .

ippy

« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2017, 03:59:22 PM »
But not as many I would imagine as secular humanists who want religion and the religious out of politics.

Vlad you really do have trouble with understanding secularism, secular humanists don't want to see religion and the religious out of politics, just take a moment read the words I'm writing not the words you might be thinking I'm writing.

The way our parliament works being a believer in one religion or another doesn't ban anyone from office and you'll have a job finding any secular humanist that would want to see any such ban come into force but that is where religion should start and finish in polotics.

The secularists that I know of are trying to stop the various religions having any more influence than the above, which involves making various attempts to do away with the many privileges they have managed to acquire over the centuries, I E the most obvious one Bishops in the House of Lords, chancellery privileges, any kind of special place in our schools, taxpayers paying for chaplains in the forces, prisons and hospitals, the religious being in the forefront at the remembrance day ceremonies at the cenotaph where the humanists, non-religious are banned, on the BBC where the religious can express themselves freely more or less any time they like and the non-religious are unable to have the same freedom of choice, another one bussing children to a faith school free of charge and there's no equivalent bussing for non-religious parents to bus their children away from religious schools, admittedly this practice is being phased out but there are still a few continuing with this outrageous privilege.

The above is just a few of the privileges secularists are not looking for or expect to have and don't expect any one else to have either, it's called a level playing field Vlad, see if you can get it this time.

ippy   

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2017, 06:24:37 PM »
Vlad you really do have trouble with understanding secularism, secular humanists don't want to see religion and the religious out of politics, just take a moment read the words I'm writing not the words you might be thinking I'm writing.

The way our parliament works being a believer in one religion or another doesn't ban anyone from office and you'll have a job finding any secular humanist that would want to see any such ban come into force but that is where religion should start and finish in polotics.

The secularists that I know of are trying to stop the various religions having any more influence than the above, which involves making various attempts to do away with the many privileges they have managed to acquire over the centuries, I E the most obvious one Bishops in the House of Lords, chancellery privileges, any kind of special place in our schools, taxpayers paying for chaplains in the forces, prisons and hospitals, the religious being in the forefront at the remembrance day ceremonies at the cenotaph where the humanists, non-religious are banned, on the BBC where the religious can express themselves freely more or less any time they like and the non-religious are unable to have the same freedom of choice, another one bussing children to a faith school free of charge and there's no equivalent bussing for non-religious parents to bus their children away from religious schools, admittedly this practice is being phased out but there are still a few continuing with this outrageous privilege.

The above is just a few of the privileges secularists are not looking for or expect to have and don't expect any one else to have either, it's called a level playing field Vlad, see if you can get it this time.

ippy
The special place of the church in education is that much of British education is church establishment, likewise hospitals and welfare services. All of which secular authority seems to have an ambivalent attitude towards.

ippy

« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2017, 08:07:32 PM »
The special place of the church in education is that much of British education is church establishment, likewise hospitals and welfare services. All of which secular authority seems to have an ambivalent attitude towards.

"The special place of the church in education is that much of British education is church establishment", is a privilege.

"likewise hospitals" where the chaplaincy service is financed by the state, another privilege. 

The secular authority you refer to is just that, secular, or in other words even handed, working on a level playing field where no one group or another, including secular humanists, have any form of special privilege.

Vlad what is it you find so difficult to understand about secularism?

ippy

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2017, 08:38:43 PM »
"The special place of the church in education is that much of British education is church establishment", is a privilege.

"likewise hospitals" where the chaplaincy service is financed by the state, another privilege. 

No....I mean the church set loads of them up.
The British secular state is ambivalent to education, Hospitals and social welfare. In 1945 Secularists wanted them. Up until 2015 the majority voted to have them cut back. I'm not averse to atheist or secular humanist chaplains in fairness but then I'm not Stalinist. If you start charging for services where do you stop?.....and that is how state education, health and welfare will eventually end. Well done.

When they are gone then religion will move to re-establish them. You can bet on that.

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2017, 08:46:27 PM »
Fallacy Boy,

Category F*****g Chap

The main action with regards this is Shakers suggestion that a claim that there are those here who think that politics should be free of religion is somehow a straw man argument.....now he has his answers.

No it isn't. The thread is about Turkey removing the TofE from the curriculum of its secondary schools, and your raising of an entirely unrelated subject in response is called "whataboutism" - a type of tu quoque fallacy.
"Don't make me come down there."

God

ippy

« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2017, 10:38:03 AM »
Fallacy Boy,

No it isn't. The thread is about Turkey removing the TofE from the curriculum of its secondary schools, and your raising of an entirely unrelated subject in response is called "whataboutism" - a type of tu quoque fallacy.

I'm sure you're right Blue but if someone can't understand something as simple and basic as the principles of secularism I don't think there's a lot of hope for the understanding of very much else either.

ippy