Author Topic: Where's the transcendency, Kenneth?  (Read 1642 times)

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
Where's the transcendency, Kenneth?
« on: June 27, 2017, 03:47:31 PM »

One of those words more defined in the lack of definition, I suspect. Like the idea you know obscenity when you see it bit cane define it at all.   

https://aeon.co/essays/religion-has-no-monopoly-on-transcendent-experience

wigginhall

Re: Where's the transcendency, Kenneth?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2017, 05:04:30 PM »
Wow, he covers a lot of ground.   Religion, near-death, drugs, meditation, he's got it.    When I was young, this stuff fascinated me, as it seemed incredible that you could go beyond your everyday self, but as I got older, it was this that I came to like.   Famous Zen story - monk gets enlightened, and the birds come to his hut and sing to him.   His teacher is angry, and tells him this is narcissistic horse-shit.  He carries on meditating, and the birds fly away. 
They were the footprints of a gigantic hound!

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2017, 05:09:40 PM »
It's the whole, this is amazing but not amazing enough to be so amazing that I struggle with.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 05:11:48 PM by Nearly Sane »

Shaker

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2017, 06:59:02 AM »
One of those words more defined in the lack of definition, I suspect.
Like spirituality, to which it's often yoked.
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2017, 08:31:39 AM »
Like spirituality, to which it's often yoked.
Indeed. And often used as an effective courier's reply, if you haven't experienced if, you cannot know what it is like, and because you haven't experienced it you cannot deny that of is objectively true

Shaker

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2017, 08:34:36 AM »
I think people who talk of spirituality rather than religion are the least likely to claim objective truth status - in my experience at any rate.
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

Udayana

• βε ηερε νοω
    • The Byrds - My Back Pages
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2017, 10:43:00 AM »
Don't see what the issue is hre. People do have these experiences, mostly regarding them as subjective, though with some claiming "religious truth" or other higher realities. It can, objectively, affect how they feel and behave.
Ah, but I was so much older then ... I'm younger than that now