Author Topic: Northern Ireland women to get abortions free on NHS  (Read 2097 times)

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
Northern Ireland women to get abortions free on NHS
« on: June 29, 2017, 06:07:32 PM »

interesting and very well done by Stella Creasey

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-40438390

Shaker

Re: Northern Ireland women to get abortions free on NHS
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2017, 06:13:06 PM »
Good news  :)
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2017, 06:15:43 PM »
That is good news on two levels, firstly for women in NI for obvious reasons, also for the governing of the UK. I was really concerned that the government would bow to DUP pressure on things like this.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

floo

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2017, 06:38:21 PM »
Good news indeed. I wouldn't have thought the DUP would have been too happy about it.

Shaker

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2017, 06:49:00 PM »
Good news indeed. I wouldn't have thought the DUP would have been too happy about it.
My view on the DUP and anything they ever think, say or do rests upon three words, and two of those are: " ... the DUP".
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

Harrowby Hall

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2017, 07:14:20 PM »
But could not this actually be seen as a victory for the DUP?  They have successfully passed on the cost to the UK government and provided access for a disapproved activity, for which there may be popular support, to occur without them getting their hands dirty.

Does Magna Carta mean nothing to you? Did she die in vain?

Humph Warden Bennett

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2017, 08:26:16 PM »
But could not this actually be seen as a victory for the DUP?  They have successfully passed on the cost to the UK government and provided access for a disapproved activity, for which there may be popular support, to occur without them getting their hands dirty.

The pro abortion brigade seem to think that everybody wants their NI contributions to go to more abortions. They are wrong.

And I will not give my opinion of Stella Creasey, or I will be modded.

Shaker

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2017, 08:28:40 PM »
The pro abortion brigade
Who's that? Anybody who supports abortion rights, I assume? That's me for one.
... seem to think that everybody wants their NI contributions to go to more abortions. They are wrong.
Except that you don't get to choose where/how your money is spent. There have been a few cases of pacifists witholding that (minuscule) share of their taxes deemed to be spent on defence. They were prosecuted, obviously, for the reason already given: you don't have a say in how it's spent.
And I will not give my opinion of Stella Creasey, or I will be modded.
A broader vocabulary would stand you in good stead here, presumably.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 05:56:16 AM by Shaker »

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2017, 02:25:22 PM »
interesting and very well done by Stella Creasey

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-40438390
Good news - but only as far as it goes.

Some 50 years after abortion was legalised in the rest of the UK it beggars belief that women in Northern Ireland are forced to travel miles from their homes, to another part of the UK in order to get an abortion. That they can get an abortion on the NHS is a good thing - that they cannot get it anywhere near where they live is appalling.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2017, 02:35:17 PM »
I take it you don't know that many DUP members?

Harrowby Hall

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2017, 11:28:11 AM »
I take it you don't know that many DUP members?

No I don't (merifully).

What I was trying to say was that they managed to get something done which was politically expedient, but to the DUP supporters morally unacceptable without it appearing that they had anything much to do with it. Blame the English!
Does Magna Carta mean nothing to you? Did she die in vain?

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2017, 11:31:51 AM »
No I don't (merifully).

What I was trying to say was that they managed to get something done which was politically expedient, but to the DUP supporters morally unacceptable without it appearing that they had anything much to do with it. Blame the English!
I hope the NHS in Scotland, England or Wales cross charges the cost back to the NHS in Northern Ireland.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2017, 11:42:03 AM »
No I don't (merifully).

I got what you meant, but the opposition is visceral in this case and not calculating in this way.

Humph Warden Bennett

« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2017, 01:12:55 PM »
Who's that? Anybody who supports abortion rights, I assume? That's me for one.Except that you don't get to choose where/how your money is spent. There have been a few cases of pacifists witholding that (minuscule) share of their taxes deemed to be spent on defence. They were prosecuted, obviously, for the reason already given: you don't have a say in how it's spent.A broader vocabulary would stand you in good stead here, presumably.

In 1986 I was a delegate at the Annual National Conference of the former CPSA. I was the only delegate of a conference which included 2000 others who voted against a motion to change the model branch constitution from including the term "Chairman" to "Chairperson", since the majority opinion of our branch mandating meeting was that the same implied that women were weak & would be discouraged from being a "Chairman".

I recorded my vote of dissent although I knew that I would outvoted. Same here.

Shaker

« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2017, 01:13:57 PM »
No cause for complaint then.

Humph Warden Bennett

« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2017, 01:59:11 PM »
No cause for complaint then.

Enjoy "your" victory.

Shaker

« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2017, 02:02:00 PM »
Enjoy "your" victory.
It isn't mine as it doesn't affect me directly, being of the manly male masculine persuasion.

I'm glad for the women to whom it applies and to whom it will do good, though.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2017, 08:45:34 PM »
But could not this actually be seen as a victory for the DUP?  They have successfully passed on the cost to the UK government
If abortion was legal in NI, the UK government would still be paying for it.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply