Author Topic: Do egotists and Narcissists choose the philosophy which makes them look good?  (Read 5662 times)

ProfessorDavey

It depends on how you see " made in the image of God"

It can mean just acknowledging that mankind knows the difference between good and bad so being more responsible for your actions.
It could be seen as an ideology which says you should be a better person, rather than an ego thing.

It doesn't have to be a way of having an overblown sense of your own importance.

You can be an atheist and very qualified and have an overblown sense of your own importance.

It depends on the individual.

I think anyone can pick up just about any ideology, religious or otherwise and be very egotistical.
I never said that all believers in the biblical notion of god and man being created in his image were egotists - that would be a non-sense statement.

What I said was that a philosophy which suggests that that individual is chosen, special, god-like and enjoys a special relationship with an all-powerful god may be particularly appealing to an egotist. And if you consider that god doesn't actually exist but is a manifestation of the super-ego then all the more appealing as the individual is having a special relationship with a part of themselves.

Walt Zingmatilder

Firstly that misunderstands what an egotist is. An egotist is a person with an overblown sense of their own importance - you can't really get a more overblown sense of your own important than thinking you are created in the image of god.
You are missing the point. It is the believer who believes that EVERYONE is made in the image of God. It is therefore of no, relative, big deal. As a means of making an egotist feel, well, special in that overblown way, it is a completely useless doctrine.

ProfessorDavey

You are missing the point. It is the believer who believes that EVERYONE is made in the image of God. It is therefore of no, relative, big deal. As a means of making an egotist feel, well, special in that overblown way, it is a completely useless doctrine.
I disagree - if you have an overblown sense of your own importance adopting a philosophy that panders to that view by implying you are made in the image of god (regardless of whether others are too) and are special in the eyes of a divine entity is going to appeal rather more than, for example, a philosophy that suggests that an individual is a tiny irrelevance, around for mercy a blink of an eye on a temporary infinitesimally-small rock in an infinite universe.

Walt Zingmatilder

I disagree - if you have an overblown sense of your own importance adopting a philosophy that panders to that view by implying you are made in the image of god (regardless of whether others are too) and are special in the eyes of a divine entity is going to appeal rather more than, for example, a philosophy that suggests that an individual is a tiny irrelevance, around for mercy a blink of an eye on a temporary infinitesimally-small rock in an infinite universe.
But you are NOT special because everybody is made in the image of God.....

As for the last part. Those that hold to it in my experience don't reflect the humility that comes with it and also, like ''Created in God's'' image you aren't handling the fullness of this naturalistic philosophy namely the Darwinian and Neitszchian components which definitely favour the egotist and Narcissist superman....

Top of the morning to you.

ProfessorDavey

But you are NOT special because everybody is made in the image of God.....
Oh so according to your religion everyone, regardless of their belief and what they have done in their lives will end up in the special VIP area of the afterlife, bigging it up with god and the saints etc. Everyone? I don't think that's what your religion teaches - it (in an Orwelian manner) teaches that all are equal, but some are more equal (i.e. special in the eyes of god) than others.

That's going to appeal to an egotist - sign up to this philosophy and confirm to yourself that you are really, really important - so much more so than the humanists who will be snivelling around in the afterlife festival mud by the chemical toilets while we sip champaign in the afterlife VIP lounge.

Walt Zingmatilder

Oh so according to your religion everyone, regardless of their belief and what they have done in their lives will end up in the special VIP area of the afterlife, bigging it up with god and the saints etc. Everyone? I don't think that's what your religion teaches - it (in an Orwelian manner) teaches that all are equal, but some are more equal (i.e. special in the eyes of god) than others.

That's going to appeal to an egotist - sign up to this philosophy and confirm to yourself that you are really, really important - so much more so than the humanists who will be snivelling around in the afterlife festival mud by the chemical toilets while we sip champaign in the afterlife VIP lounge.

You seem to be confusing beliefs here. Mankind is made in the image of God, that's all of mankind, you , me, everyone, regardless of race, colour or creed (and some of the more enlightened of us believe that includes womankind as well).
The afterlife is another matter between you and God.

ProfessorDavey

You seem to be confusing beliefs here. Mankind is made in the image of God, that's all of mankind, you , me, everyone, regardless of race, colour or creed (and some of the more enlightened of us believe that includes womankind as well).
The afterlife is another matter between you and God.
But we are discussing a whole philosophy, not simply a single aspect of a philosophical belief system.

And, of course the very notion that a particular philosophy indicates you might have a direct relationship with a all powerful deity, and that this deity may personally intervene in your life and personally offer you a place in the VIP lounge of heavenly paradise, while refusing it to others is right up the street of an egotist. What better way to demonstrate your importance that to belief you have a hot-line to the 'big man in the sky'.